Oregon Trail'r Terradrop

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
Greetings. Long time lurker, new to posting. I decided to start this thread because I don't see much (actually anything) on this forum about the Oregon Trail'r Terradrop.

I did months of research on off road teardrop style trailers. My final 4 were Little Guy Rough Rider 5 Wide, Moby1 XTR 60", SoCal 510XS and the Oregon Trail'r Terradrop. Each had their advantages and disadvantages. I feel any one of these trailers would have filled my need, some better than others.

In the end I chose the Terradrop after exchanging several emails with the owners. Like other custom teardrop builders they have quite a long build queue. When I order mine it was at approximately 8 months. They have a large number of options and they are willing to do customizations not listed as normal options. They also have several videos on youtube showing their construction techniques and tend to add new videos regularly. This is one of the things that really sold me. I've seen very few builders that actually show you how they do things. These guys are very proud of what they build. They definitely don't offer all the options of the Moby1 XTR...no fridge, A/C or heat option cover the big ones but there was enough to make me happy.

I plan to update this thread or maybe start a new one when I take delivery. They haven't built a bunch of these Terradrops yet since their FronTear is their best seller. I was just curious if anyone else on here may have one.

Here's a picture of one that will be very similar to what I ordered and in the color I ordered...

3077655_orig.jpg

-Curtiss

Last edited:

herm

Adventurer
these look great, I really like their construction methods. acording to the site the terradrop is between 1100 and 1500 lbs.

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
How much does it weigh ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

The weight is heavily dependent on the options chosen. I went with the onboard propane setup with stove, water system, roadshower, awning and a heavy duty custom rack setup which is going to push mine up to around 1500lbs dry. When I add on things like my ARB fridge, water and gear I'm guess is about 1800lbs loaded. I opted to have the 10" electric brakes and Timbren HD axle-less suspension since this will be on the heavy side for teardrop style trailer. Due to my wife joining on my adventures there were some amenities needed that I wouldn't have normally opted for but will certainly take advantage of when we are exploring.

My brother is considering their Dewdrop which is a much smaller and lighter trailer to tow behind his Jeep Wrangler. It's a no frills 4' x 8' option that has good off road capability and is very light weight.

They currently have a customer that is doing a 1 year trip across the U.S. in a Terradrop. I've been following their adventure. Now, I have no desire to do the frigid cold like they did up in Colorado earlier this year but it's nice to know the Terradrop was ok (not great, they said heat would have been really nice) for this extreme.

-Curtiss

keegancdr

I have been following these guys for quite some time and have been really impressed with their shop and build techniques! definitely not skipping corners on their builds! great choice!

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
Any updates?

Just curious. Why did you pick this over the 510xs?

My Terradrop is currently under construction due to be completed towards the end of the year.

Why did I choose the Oregon Trail'r Terradrop over the SoCal 510xs...

1. Styling. I really like the lines of the Terradrop, the cabinetry, galley layout, etc.
2. Size. I went back and forth several times on 8' vs 10' length. In the end I wanted the shorter length.
3. Openness about the way they build. Nobody else puts as much info about the construction of their trailers out there as Oregon Trail'r does.
4. www.teardroptravels.com - This is a couple taking their Terradrop cross country and really putting their trailer through its paces in the real world.

The SoCal 510xs is an excellent trailer. There are a few areas I feel it beats out the Terradrop. It has more room and storage options, a better suspension, stronger frame and an awesome awning. In the end the pricing on both trailers once they are optioned out is about the same. I simply had to choose and for me probably the biggest deciding factor was the openness about their builds. The videos, pictures and details really won me over. That shows some serious pride in their process and end product.

-Curtiss

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
I'll be picking up my trailer on Monday March 20th. It's one of the trailers in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPQaxMCmgo This last round of builds for them was mostly Terradrops so when they got them done or mostly done they did this little video. Mine does not have the Line X spray on bedliner on the front in this video. It was taken down for that right after this video. Mine is the white one with the tongue rack.

-Curtiss

dwboise

More info on dimensions?

Hi,

Great thread and info, thanks for starting it. We're starting our camper trailer discussion in my house, and this seems a very plausible option for our needs/budget. Quick question - I can't find any details on the cabin/living space. What are the dimensions (I'm 6'1", 160#) of the living area? And, I know the base was $15k - do you mind sharing the final price of your package (I like what the video showed, esp. the tongue boxes and suspension).

Thanks!

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
Hi,

Great thread and info, thanks for starting it. We're starting our camper trailer discussion in my house, and this seems a very plausible option for our needs/budget. Quick question - I can't find any details on the cabin/living space. What are the dimensions (I'm 6'1", 160#) of the living area? And, I know the base was $15k - do you mind sharing the final price of your package (I like what the video showed, esp. the tongue boxes and suspension).

Thanks!

The cabin is 79 1/2" long by 59" wide. I'm 5'11" and 225lbs. It's comfortable for myself and my wife. The price from Oregon trailer (this excludes the extras I added like the roof basket, Snomaster Fridge, custom aluminum storage box, Roadshower, etc) was $24k. The majority of the extra cost on my build was the addition of the upgraded lighting, stove and water system. These 3 items are quite pricey.

The suspension and ground clearance is great. I have done some seriously extreme trails (a little more extreme than I would have liked in some cases). In addition don't discount the rest of the camper's build. The use of rabbet joints throughout the build and their glue and screw approach makes for a very solid unit. 3/4" marine grade Baltic birch side walls and floor also contributes to the strength. The build quality is second to none in the industry.

Aside from the cost, the biggest drawback is the lead time. It takes about a year to get a trailer since their build queue is always filled.

-Curtiss

dwboise

Thank you!

Thanks, Curtis, for all the info. From what I'm seeing, queues are the norm for these and other makes.

You've given us some great thoughts to mull over.

Cheers,
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles