Oregon Trailer Inspired build on a M116A1 platform (Updated Pullout Kitchen 2020)

andrew22ha

Installed a locking latch I had sitting around collecting dust and bolted it to the frame. Also mounted my shore power plug and propane to the box. Shooting for end of September maiden voyage camping trip to the smokey mountains.

This weekends tasks are electrical and making a slide out bed for the mattress. The wife wants the mattress above the wheel wells so I need to rework my cabinets and make them smaller for leg room.

Electrical will be built in stages. 1st stage is only 12v.
Group 31 AGM 105 Amp hour battery - Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle Marine
Noco Genius 3500 Charger
Blue Sea 6 fuse panel with cutoff switch
4 Led Puck lights
2 outside porch lights
Fantastic Fan
USB and lighter outlets/ chargers for portable electronics
sureflow water pump (future plumbing galley sink and outside rinse off)
Shore power hookup

Electrical Stage 2 - If we decide the need for 110, then I will get an inverter and some outlets. However, I do have a small single plug inverter sitting on the shelf that I will take with me for the lighter outlet and see how it works or if we even need any plugs.

20180819_181805.jpg

andrew22ha

Finally got out into the wild and did a labor day weekend trip to Mt Pisgah. Had a great time with the family and the trailer pulled great. Zero issues, no leaking as it poured on us for about two hours on Sunday. I have several upgrades ready to happen now that I have been out.

The grill sucks for heating up coffee or boiling water. Just ordered an additional single burner for that. Also added some electrical decisions and I may eliminate the sink. I bought a 7 gallon jug with spigot for $19 and it worked great to wash hands, food, dishes. I already have the sink installed so I may leave it. We shall see. Overall great 1st trip and we have some things to order on Amazon this week.

20180831_114854.jpg

20180901_085203.jpg

The family at the top of the Frying Pan Fire Tower
20180901_122018.jpg

20180903_181309.jpg

20180901_101236.jpg

Attachments

• 20180831_114854.jpg
    20180831_114854.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180901_120734.jpg
    20180901_120734.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 42

andrew22ha

So after the maiden voyage I realized a few things. One, I needed another single burner for boiling water, coffee, and a second area to cook along with the grill. so I got a y adapter with propane gauge. Now i have the grill and single burner for cooking. Going to be so much easier to cook, I like my food and I don't care that my wife was making fun of me for cooking "gourmet" meals while camping. Man's gotta eat good.

And two, the camping pads and sleeping bag SUCKED on plywood base. Back was toast each morning so we got a queen size 6" memory foam mattress. Sleeping just improved drastically.

Electrical:
Ran my first electrical circuit for lighting and ceiling fan in the cabin. Battery is group 31 AGM, ran for three days with no problem and had 25% left when I got back. I know, shouldn't run it below 50%. I will have to address with either small gen or solar. That will be added in the near future.

Next up will be running the next circuit to the galley. Going to add usb and 12v outlets along with LED lights for the galley hatch and outside rear lights. Also going to add porch lights above the doors and most likely add a small LED strip underneath the step to shine down on the ground making it easier to get in and out of the door in the pitch dark in the middle of the night.

Cabin:
Still undecided about the cabinets in the cabin and storage underneath the bed platform. I made the platform bed fold out of the way so you can use the front half as gear storage while traveling with the trailer and then unloading to setup camp. Then you fold down the bed to queen size. Storage underneath the bed platform for stowed gear.

Plumbing:
I am seriously considering getting rid of the sink. I bought a 7 gallon water jug with spigot from REI that I setup on the table outside for washing hands, food, etc and it worked great. Not sure I want to spend money on Sureflow pump, 10 gallon water storage and running lines to the sink. Might pick up a Jerry Can for the mounts I already have from the military platform. If I remove the sink, I will be adding stainless steel to cover the countertops anyway, so I will just fill in the hole from the sink and put the stainless over it and create another drawer.

20180915_073804.jpg

20180915_113331.jpg

20180915_113343.jpg

20180915_073817.jpg

woodc85

If you're still looking for a cooler, Walmart has a couple of lower cost options that are comparable to a Yeti. I bought the Lifetime 55 Quart cooler, grizzly certified and it has worked great for me so far. They also have Ozark trails coolers, that I've read pretty good reviews of.

I recently used my Lifetime on a 3 night trip to Buena Vista, CO, daily temps in the 80s and when I got back home the interior temp in the cooler was still under 40 degrees. I also use Cooler Shock freeze packs instead of ice so I don't get soggy food. I even goofed up and put about 20 still warm burritos in the cooler before I left.

andrew22ha

Thanks Wood85! I was looking at the Lifetime cooler in walmart the other day and was going to give it a try. Glad to hear real world review on it. I will get a few of the cooler shock freeze packs as well, just researched those and they look pretty awesome.

Teardropper

Great rig!

Battery is group 31 AGM, ran for three days with no problem and had 25% left when I got back.

I'm scratching my head on your power consumption. I've got a Group 27 marine and am going to downsize to a Group 24 AGM on my next build. We use the battery for charging phones, two LED lights, a Fantastic fan and when it's chilly preheating our bed with a 12V electric blanket for a half hour –and a CPAP. Three days and I should be at about 12.4 volts.

Where'd all your juice go? I'm guessing you used at least 60 amps.

T

andrew22ha

Great rig!

I'm scratching my head on your power consumption. I've got a Group 27 marine and am going to downsize to a Group 24 AGM on my next build. We use the battery for charging phones, two LED lights, a Fantastic fan and when it's chilly preheating our bed with a 12V electric blanket for a half hour –and a CPAP. Three days and I should be at about 12.4 volts.

Where'd all your juice go? I'm guessing you used at least 60 amps.

T

So I just came back from a two night trip and my battery was at 89% when I returned. This made me realize that I never checked to see if the battery was fully charged when I bought it. When the guy at the store told me they came fully charged, my warning bell in the back of my head said don't believe it. I am assuming that the battery was not fully charged my first trip out. That is my fault as we were heading out the next day and I had installed the battery the night before out in the garage at 11pm. So shame on me for not putting it on the charger that first night.

So this last trip was much more indicative of what I expected out of the battery consumption

andrew22ha

Next up on the list of to do items:
- Finish Electrical in galley with Led Lights, Switch panel with USB and 12v outllet, outside porch lights
- insulation and skin inside sleeping area
- Stainless steel countertops
- Stainless steel hatch inside. The bendable plywood already cracked. Probably from travel and flexing of the trailer, so I am going to stainless the hatch
- Build a table that will attach to the side wall of trailer for easy cooktop setup
- Additional cabinet inside sleeping area for more storage

andrew22ha

Finally did some work on the trailer over break. I decided after camping 4 times that the white counters and cabinets were not going to work. Got dirty immediately and isn't food safe as countertops. you can see from the one pic how dirty the back wall got, so that will be repainted after I finish the countertops.

So I ordered some stainless steel sheet metal for both the countertops and the hatch. So the bendable plywood on the hatch, cracked on the first camping trip. Not sure if it was twisting from driving, too much of a radius of curve or what. So I decided to line it with stainless. Of course it looks way better, but the added weight has caused the gas struts that hold it open to fail. So ordered heavier duty 100lb struts to compensate. Added lights to the hatch and underneath the cabinets. I also did a cutout in the countertop for storage. Will finish that door next weekend and then the galley will be almost complete. Just leaving the situation of running water to deal with at a later date.

Galley1.jpg

Galley2.jpg

If you don't mind, could you tell me where you found your sink, and what the depth of it is?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94