Options for a small motorhome based on e350

Clark

Observer
I was at a tournament yesterday and I saw a small motorhome/day camper that was based on the e350. I believe that it was a chinook. This seemed like it would be perfect for the way I plan to use it and I could transfer all my ujoint parts to it. My main goal is to take it to my son's weekend tournaments and have a relatively nice place where I could sit out of the sun to relax and eat. I liked that is was small enough that I wouldn't need to pay for storage when I wasn't using it. When I googled chinook I saw small campers all the way up to huge campers that all fall under the chinook name.

I'm not sold on getting a chinook, but rather on the concept of a small camper based on the e350 (I even tried googling "small camper based on e350" and the links are filled with sites selling all types of motorhomes). Is there a certain catagory of these "day campers" that I'm looking for?

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I was at a tournament yesterday and I saw a small motor home/day camper that was based on the e350. I believe that it was a chinook. This seemed like it would be perfect for the way I plan to use it and I could transfer all my ujoint parts to it. My main goal is to take it to my son's weekend tournaments and have a relatively nice place where I could sit out of the sun to relax and eat. I liked that is was small enough that I wouldn't need to pay for storage when I wasn't using it. When I googled chinook I saw small campers all the way up to huge campers that all fall under the chinook name.

I'm not sold on getting a chinook, but rather on the concept of a small camper based on the e350 (I even tried googling "small camper based on e350" and the links are filled with sites selling all types of motorhomes). Is there a certain catagory of these "day campers" that I'm looking for?

As you may already know Chinook is out of business. Another small E series Ford cutaway all fiberglass 'premium' Motor Home is Coach House.

http://www.coachhouserv.com/

As with everything, you get what you pay for. Both Chinook and Coach House are expensive in comparison to lesser quality Motor Homes.
Both Chinook and Coach House are built using boat like fiberglass construction methods.

I went a different route for our 'Day Camper' or as I like to call it "Mobile Man Cave" and had a shuttle bus converted. It has the advantage of bus safety standards with steel roll cage construction and two passenger seats with shoulder belts. http://www.turtletop.com/VanTerraTerraTransport/Default.aspx

Last edited:

el-cid

Observer
Try searching for a "Class B" motorhome, those are the ones based on a van chassis/camper van and aren't a van-cab with a huge camper body type motorhome (Class C) or Rolling Stones tour bus (Class A).

carcrafter22

Adventurer
We are still working on it but already love our E350 based ambulance. For about 1/8 of the price of the cost of a sportsmobile or similar van it will be as nice (and better built from what I've seen) and even has more room than most van campers.

Clark

Observer
Thanks for the imput. I was hoping there was a simple name I could search for (but it doesn't surprise me that there isn't since I couldn't find one).

haven

Expedition Leader
The Class B RVs are based on a van chassis with the original walls of the van intact. The Chinook you mention has a fiberglass body on a cutaway van chassis, so it's not really a Class B. RVs of the same general size (say, less than 22 feet long) but built on a cutaway van chassis (no original walls) are often called Class B+ rather than a small Class C.

A good place to browse for Class B, B+ and C RVs is http://www.rvtraderonline.com/

dankine

RV,s

We have own a few RV's. Check out RoadTeak. To bad they dont use ford for their platform. However they're my favorite. Not to tall and very well made.

The Dodge version 19'' long comes with two V8 options. How would a 360 work with a 4x4 conversion :Wow1: ???

billwilson

Adventurer
We have own a few RV's. Check out RoadTeak. To bad they dont use ford for their platform. However they're my favorite. Not to tall and very well made.

The Dodge version 19'' long comes with two V8 options. How would a 360 work with a 4x4 conversion :Wow1: ???

Walked thru 4 new Road Treks last weekend
Sprinters and van based

I was surprised at the POOR quality of a $100,000 rig .......

dankine

RoadTrek

Well !!!

I have never walked thru the newer ones. Sprinters and or GM van based RoadTrek.

The ones from 1994 to 200? the last year of production on a Dodge van. Are well made '' to my taste '' When I compare with the other manufacturer for those years.

Dan

Clark

Observer
I'm ending up getting a 2006 Sprinter. I'll be loosing the 4x4, but I think it will work really well for the way I plan to use it. Its a cargo van so I can fix it the way I want.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm ending up getting a 2006 Sprinter. I'll be loosing the 4x4, but I think it will work really well for the way I plan to use it. Its a cargo van so I can fix it the way I want.
A wise choice (he said self-servingly :sombrero: ). I'll bet you find it excellent for your needs.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to sign up at the Sprinter Source (http://www.sprinter-source.com) for a lot of useful information and support.

Clark

Observer
I signed up yesterday! I've always like the Sprinters especially after watching your build. I'm glad you still like yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94