Options and configurations for E series Van 4x4 build

Hello everybody!

I hate to be "that guy" and join a forum to post a new thread right away, but here we go.

I am looking for a E series van to start a 4x4 conversion/short term vanlife/extra long vacation capable rig. The primary focus is 4x4 capability, as I much prefer to be in the middle of nowhere then somewhere and I would love to revisit a lot of jeep trails that I have been on in the past. I am young and single and I know I will be happy with whatever the camper build turns out to be on the inside so not super concerned about that. I haven't researched in depth of the different conversions out there but from some brief searching I like Ujoints stuff the best. It would be awesome to keep the entire project under $30k in the end but not super concerned about price either.

From what I have gathered in my search results, people say the 7.3L engine is the way to go for the Ecoline vans. I would also think that the shorter cargo frame would also be desirable instead of the longer overhang on the rear axle. I have checked out a few local E150 and E250s with the shorter frame and I am happy with the space inside. For the life of me I could not find any detailed info on the transmissions as far as part numbers and if one is better over another and this is info I wish I could find more of.

SO: I thought the platform I wanted was a E350 an with a 7.3L and a short cargo area. I sent Chris at Ujoint an email asking if he had a favorite engine/transmission platform that worked with his kits better and he responded with "'05 and up V10. More reliable then diesel, quiet, best transmission, overall ownership costs are lower". Now I am a little stuck because, that guy has way more experience I would imagine then else saying the 7.3L is king.

In your opinion, if you were looking for a E series van to do a 4x4 build on, which engine and body style would you hunt for and why? And bonus question, why is "dequigley" vans a thing, are they are so bad people would take a existing conversion and replace it with another 4x4 conversion?

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I am a die hard 7.3 fan boy - I have 3 of them in different vehicles. MPG amazing compared to V10. But I also have a v10 Quigley. If you don't mind the smell and the occasional parts goose chase the 7.3 is hard to beat. But Chris has a point in many respects. The v10 is powerful, quiet, and nice to drive. BUT you will be on a nationwide search for a good v10 or 7.3 and be prepared to pay and buy sight unseen almost.

As far as the de Quigley I have been very happy with Agile Rip kits on my Quigley vans. It really comes down to how do you plan to use it. My Agile Quigley is great since the Agile upgrade. I also owned a Ujoint van ( yes I have a Van problem) It was great to drive everywhere except gofast washboard.

Now if your plan is to live out of the van then the few extra inches of overhang in the EB ( extended body) is worth the possibility of departure angle. Once you layout living space you gain so much in the extended. If you plan on towing and hard wheeling ( you wont if this is your home) the SB ( standard body is nice) overall they drive the same on the highway.
Your 30k budget will put you in a high mile Quigley most likely. This is unless you are handy at some fabrication and can convert a van yourself. Avg shop cost for a conversion is 15-25 K Advanced in Salt lake at the low end - Ujoint at the high end, and Quad Van middle high. Dont forget about MG Metalworks ( ExpoVans) for the Diy route. But even then unless you plan on junk yarding and have tools and skill to rebuild plan on 12-18k. I dont know where you are located but if you ever make it to Prescott AZ I am more then happy to show you a sample of all the above ( like I said I have a van problem).

I am a die hard 7.3 fan boy - I have 3 of them in different vehicles. MPG amazing compared to V10. But I also have a v10 Quigley. If you don't mind the smell and the occasional parts goose chase the 7.3 is hard to beat. But Chris has a point in many respects. The v10 is powerful, quiet, and nice to drive. BUT you will be on a nationwide search for a good v10 or 7.3 and be prepared to pay and buy sight unseen almost.

As far as the de Quigley I have been very happy with Agile Rip kits on my Quigley vans. It really comes down to how do you plan to use it. My Agile Quigley is great since the Agile upgrade. I also owned a Ujoint van ( yes I have a Van problem) It was great to drive everywhere except gofast washboard.

Now if your plan is to live out of the van then the few extra inches of overhang in the EB ( extended body) is worth the possibility of departure angle. Once you layout living space you gain so much in the extended. If you plan on towing and hard wheeling ( you wont if this is your home) the SB ( standard body is nice) overall they drive the same on the highway.
Your 30k budget will put you in a high mile Quigley most likely. This is unless you are handy at some fabrication and can convert a van yourself. Avg shop cost for a conversion is 15-25 K Advanced in Salt lake at the low end - Ujoint at the high end, and Quad Van middle high. Dont forget about MG Metalworks ( ExpoVans) for the Diy route. But even then unless you plan on junk yarding and have tools and skill to rebuild plan on 12-18k. I dont know where you are located but if you ever make it to Prescott AZ I am more then happy to show you a sample of all the above ( like I said I have a van problem).

thanks for your feedback! It sounds like you have first hand experience with both engines and I couldn’t go wrong with either. What about transmissions? Are only certain transmissions mated to certain engines? Do you find both engines to be the same in terms of serviceability and parts availability?

You are right on the departure angle. When I think about departure angle vs inside room I figure that if departure angle came to be an issue the van itself probably couldn’t even fit or handle that crazy of a trail. But when I walked around inside of a SB I don’t think I would miss the extra room if i didn’t have it to begin with.
Thanks again for your input! I’ll defiantly hit you up if I’m ever in your part of the woods!

justbecause

perpetually lost
I only have a 7.3 van because I found an incredible deal on it. Getting a hydra tuner made it a whole new machine. I would rather have a newer gas van than this one though.

motovan_mn

Another comment I've read a bunch is just how loud the 7.3 is in the van body. Half the engine is sitting inside the cab.

Not sure if mentioned above but almost all the E-series use either the 4r75 or 4r100 transmissions. The 05+ v10's have the 5r110. Having driven both transmissions I will say the 5 speed is noticeably better/smoother.

Space-wise I think you'd be ok in the regular body. Plus it looks better :)

And one more vote for moving this thread you the van sub forum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior