Optimistic man tackling Baboons Pass.

INSAYN

Adventurer
This trail was probably better suited to RTT vs. an off road trailer.
But, it makes for a cool video none the less.

Oh and there's a hottie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPdSSkLRnI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPdSSkLRnI[/ame]

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
can't see the video at work but...

for some reason my mind is automatically dropping the "P" from "Pass" every time I read this..

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Bwuahahahah. Hehe. Hahahahaha. OMFG that's hilarious... :D :D :D

And that guy with the bent tie rod...ahahahahahah! "Beep beep, grunt, beep beep beep, grunt" hahahahahaha.

11 days later they came back for the trailer. Oh geez, I'm gonna spew coffee from my nose any minute. Can't...stop...laughing...

Scott Brady

Founder
That video has some serious rookie moments- shocking actually.

1. No gloves
2. Thumbs wrapped around steering wheel
3. Not airing down
4. Recovery rope affixed to the tow ball!

And that was in the first 30 seconds.

Fun to watch none-the-less. Lesotho is a beautiful country. I enjoyed my travels there.

alexrex20

Explorer
actually, nothing at all happened in the first 30 seconds. i can't figure out why anyone would ever take THAT trailer on THAT trail.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
That video has some serious rookie moments- shocking actually.

1. No gloves
2. Thumbs wrapped around steering wheel
3. Not airing down
4. Recovery rope affixed to the tow ball!

And that was in the first 30 seconds.

Fun to watch none-the-less. Lesotho is a beautiful country. I enjoyed my travels there.

I understand every statement but the thumbs around wheel, explain.
I'm no expert at offroading, I have done my fair share.
I know when water goes over the hood your screwed,
when a window shatters and dirt comes in your upside down,
when you hear a hissing sound and your car starts leaning you have a flat
when your horn goes off you should probably stop flooring it up the hill
when your car lowers itself by 8 inches your stuck in mud

pretty much got it all down huh?

Scott Brady

Founder
It is recommended that you never wrap your thumbs around the steering wheel, but keep them rested on the side. This is because of the potential for a rock or hole to suddenly jerk the wheel, spinning it in your hands and breaking your thumb on the spoke.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
It is recommended that you never wrap your thumbs around the steering wheel, but keep them rested on the side. This is because of the potential for a rock or hole to suddenly jerk the wheel, spinning it in your hands and breaking your thumb on the spoke.

jesus, if my wheel spins so fast I break my thumbs I think I would have more to worry about on the tire/rim and suspension side...

I have certainly never wrapped my hands around the wheel like my grandmother, but I never thought it was a dangerous thing. I'll keep this in mind.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
I'll take it you have never driven an FJ40 ;)

60's , 80's, 100's, 200's.

About all I have driven in terms of offroad rigs. Only owned a 100 so I'll come clean... neva spill my coffee though :coffeedrink: . It's got 7 cup holders, and seat heaters. All this dandy stuff and Toyota didn't think to throw a locker in there... what where they thinking???

engineer- "Hey, we need a locker in the 2000+ with VSC and stability"
CEO-" Nah, just throw a cup holder in there and hot seats, that will distract em"
engineer-"should we address the weak front diff issue too?"
CEO- "what for?"
engineer- "so they can go offroad and be worry free"
CEO-"pshhh, but a overly complicated nav system in there and call it a day, lets take this last shot before we call it a day and start wiring things up"

Chris

Adventurer
Always thinking 'Thumbs UP'

Not to hijack the original thread but as long as it could help but even one person I think I should share. It pains me to share this However, not only can you dislocate or break your thumbs but things could get even worse.

Situation; Starting from a dead stop in the middle of the desert and paying attention I started up a trail and noticed a slight wash out on the left SO! I simply moved to right a bit only to drop off into an even bigger hole on the right. The wheel spun so fast it threw both hands off. The end result was not good.

I had a nice bruise on my left leg from my hand hitting it so hard, also broke my webbed watch band. The right hand, not so lucky, dislocated the Thumb and both bones in the wrist prior to breaking them. Essentially I just about screwed my right hand off my arm at the wrist.

The ugly part was, we were 20+ miles from any service at 5:00 pm and an outside temp falling thru the fifties. Getting dark and cold!! A whole lot went on at this point (Lots-O-expierience) basically we stayed calm and stopped it from being a compound situation (fracture) very close!

Lesson: Even though you know to keep your thumbs up the natural reaction is (especially in the unexpected) is to grab on tight (ouch). Even at only 10mph that steering wheel can spin your hand off. We learned allot more that day I'll share it somewhere else later.

The end result; After a situation assessment we decided to leave the rig, left a note sent a CB signal (useless) grabbed the bag and miscellaneous other items and headed off on foot. Was painful, approx five to six miles into what we figured would be an 18 to 20 mile hike just for cell service or maybe even people, we got picked up by another vehicle. Six hours and three hospitals later everything was stabilized and awaiting surgery. Went back tthe next morning got the rig and drove 12 hours to home. Needless to say we had thanksgiving dinner the next day at home.

Here's a little picture of what can happen whether or not you know to KEEP YOUR THMBS UP! :Wow1:

Attachments

• before first setting.jpg
    before first setting.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
  • lof2 with comments copy.jpg
    lof2 with comments copy.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 33
  • lof4.jpg
    lof4.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Forum statistics