Optima Yellow Top Battery Question

cactusjk

Explorer
Recently my Battery Tender died and I realized that my Yellow Top is at about 6 volts. The truck has been in the garage the whole time.

Assuming I can recharge it back up to normal is the battery good to go or will it be at reduced capacity?

cactusjk

Explorer
It is under warranty so I can also take it back and get a replacement. Actually, I not sure if the Battery Tender was the problem. I have had problems with these batteries before.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Too many unknowns here. My suggestion would be to charge it up, let it sit overnight, charge it again, let it sit overnight and see if open circuit voltage is up to spec (I think it's 13.1V on those, but check it on the Optima website). If you don't have a conditioning charger, might be time to get one. If battery does not come back to spec, go for the warranty replacement.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
All I have is a Battery Tender Plus. If that is not sufficient I'll just replace it under warranty.
Can you jump start it and drive it around to charge from the alternator? If you just pull the battery and take it in, the shop will probably want to put it on their charger and then load test it.

Assuming I can recharge it back up to normal...
How were you thinking about charging it?

cactusjk

Explorer
That is actually my aux load battery. I have a dual battery setup in my FJ. The starter battery is a Red Top and it is fine.

cactusjk

Explorer
Is there a way with a dual battery setup to 'trick" the dead battery so I can charge it? The Yellow Top is at 5.5V.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Connect it parallel to a good battery using a set of jumper cables, then connect a charger (something much bigger than a Battery Tender) to it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Is there a way with a dual battery setup to 'trick" the dead battery so I can charge it? The Yellow Top is at 5.5V.
Connect it parallel to a good battery using a set of jumper cables, then connect a charger (something much bigger than a Battery Tender) to it.
Correct.

But you've probably buggered the poor thing if it's been too long since it was fully charged.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I just got one of the new Odyssey chargers that I'm going to try on my 2150. The instructions say that it will charge and condition AGM batteries that are as low as 2.5V. Optima also has a relatively new line of chargers, so you might look into an Odyssey or Optima charger to solve your problems. Sounds like you need a charger and and a conditioner and a new battery tender. These will do all of those things. My old Odyssey Ultimizer is 40amps and Optima told me to never use that charger on one of their batteries because the high amp/high voltage charge could damage their battery. My new Odyssey charger is only 20amp (the biggest Odyssey offers right now), but they have a couple of smaller ones available that might be suitable if the 20amp is too much. My experience with calls to tech support at both companies is that they are pretty open with info and assistance. Odyssey's tech support and customer service is great.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
How about the smaller Optima charger?
Just as smart; just has 1/3 the amperage so it takes a bit longer with a deeply discharged battery.
Very capable little unit though.

I've got 3 chargers. A big Sears unit with lots of amps, the bigger of the two Optimas, and a small Battery Tender that I use on my small SLA project batteries.

Jim from Optima Batteries is a member of this forum and a friend. I can ping him if you have any questions that we're not hitting to your satisfaction.
DD and the others are doing a pretty thorough job though.

cactusjk

Explorer
All good! I use Battery Tenders all the time. Not sure what happened to the one on my Yellow Top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz