Optima Battery Problems

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I own a "higher end" auto repair shop and have had more problems with Optima batteries than I care to have...The voltage readings may be okay but as soon as you place a high amperage draw on them with a load meter or carbon pile they fall well below the 10 volt mark some to almost non-existant, in my opinion they are not what they used to be..lets face it, they sell em in Discount auto parts nowadays....discount auto parts and good quality parts don't go hand in hand.. i am an interstate dealer and have VERY few problems with them...I am a dealer for them because they don't give me problems.. I have run the deka AGM batteries in my motorcycles and had problems as well...and while the odyssey batteries are supposed to be really good they are just really expensive.. I definitely will NOT be running optima batteries in my upcoming round the world trip in my Camel trophy 110 land rover..

OptimaJim

Observer
HenryJ, I don't know who you spoke to, what their affiliation is with Optima or what was said in the conversation and how it was remembered and re-posted here. Please PM me with the name and contact information of the person you spoke with, as I'd like to speak with them as well. It would probably be helpful to include your real name, unless he knows you as “HenryJ” and your business affiliation. Building a battery plant isn't easy, but it doesn't take eight to nine years. We broke ground on the Monterrey facility in 2007 and started production in late-2008.
You are correct that there are several clever marketing techniques that companies can use to promote their products. There is a standard rating system for batteries created by the BCI (Battery Council International) that includes cranking amps, cold cranking amps and reserve capacity. While other brands and companies may elect to use proprietary testing standards or specifications to promote their batteries, we use the specifications from the standardized BCI rating system to describe all of our batteries.
Batteries are one of the most-recycled products in the world, with over 99% of all batteries being recycled. While most “black box” lead-acid batteries will use recycled lead, using pure, virgin lead is standard practice for Optima, as well as the AGM industry as a whole.
Jim, thanks for posting those photographs. Our engineer indicated he likes your meters and while the voltage drop is ok, the measurements at the batteries seems on the low side and he asked if there is any change in the voltage at higher rpms, around 1800 or so or if you only see voltage above 14 volts at start up?
To use your analogy of sinks and tubs, while they may have the same water source, if the connections to the sink use rusty pipes, you may see rust in your sink. Personally, I understand your frustration with the charging issues you've been experiencing. As you are now on your fourth Optima for your auxiliary system, at what point will you use a battery from another brand, to see how their performance compares to that of your Optimas in that specific application.
By conservative estimates, we sell more AGM automotive batteries than every other manufacturer combined, several times over. As a result, there will be far more conversations about our batteries (both good and bad) online. The volume of batteries we sell also allows us to be pro-active in assisting consumers in ways other brands and manufacturers simply cannot. You don't need to be an expert to use one of our batteries and we have millions of customers who have proven that for more than 20 years. The YouTube videos we have produced and the advice I offer is often universal and can be applied to any battery. As a vehicle's electrical system gets more complicated or the demands on a battery increase, more care may be needed, but that is the norm for any battery, regardless of type or brand.
I believe Black & Decker alone markets at least nine different models of battery chargers, which makes it hard to keep up with all the different features of the various units. I do know we often get feedback from folks who use those chargers and get F01 or F03 codes, indicating a bad battery, when their batteries are only deeply-discharged. I don't know if I've mentioned it in this thread or if that particular charger has a “gel” or “gel/AGM” setting, but we recommend avoiding any charger setting that has “gel” in it, as it may not fully-charge our batteries (or any non-gel battery) and could damage it over time.
We keep very close tabs on the quality of our batteries and as I'm sure you read on the Race-Dezert board, the degree of automation in our current production process has greatly decreased variability, which has resulted in an increase in the the consistency and reliability of our products. We built a state-of-the-art facility to manufacture the best batteries possible, not cut corners.
bfdiesel, I'm glad to hear your Optima has served you well. While no manufacturers release their defect rates, there are days when I wish they would. However, even if they did, I suspect many folks who have experienced battery issues would be unlikely to believe how low those rates really are, based on their own personal experiences and Optima's rate is far lower than the industry norm. When I have asked to share that information in the past, I've been told that when everyone else does, we will glady share our numbers.
John, depending on the question that is asked, I usually consult with two different staff engineers. No one is happier that I am on message boards than those guys, as they are also on forums in a non work-related capacity for their personal vehicles and used to get frustrated by the bad information (and often terrible advice) that was being posted. While they would've loved to have stepped in and helped folks, that would open up a can of worms for them that would likely prevent them from doing their regular duties. The vast majority of the issues folks face can be handled by a non-engineer like me, but when needed (or requested), I can always call on those guys.
Unfortunately, we cannot get more personalized in our customer service than me posting on message boards. We are the most-widely sold AGM battery in the world, with more than 30,000 retail partners around the globe and that seems to keep our engineers and management team fairly busy.
The Rover Shop, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your batteries. What kind of batteries were you using that were having issues with high amperage draws? What was considered an “okay” voltage reading and what kind of amperage were you using?
JCI does own Optima and 49% of Interstate, in addition to producing all of their batteries for them.
Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

brussum

Adventurer
Optima and Interstate are owned by the same company, btw.

Yep, JCI manufactures batteries for countless private brands, including Interstate. IIRC, JCI used to produce DieHard batteries until Sears went with Exide. I also thought several Optima batteries were rebadged and sold as Interstate AGM units. Those relationships change over time as brands switch manufacturers and different models of batteries within a brand may be produced by different companies. The best resource to determine the actual manufacturer is often the material safety data sheet.

zoblo

Observer
I haven't seem much in this discussion about charging/maintaining using a solar panel and controller and its benefits or complications with an optima battery. I have an optima yellow top as house battery for my camper. It is hooked up to the main starting battery with a Hellroaring battery isolator/combiner. But I also have an 85 watt solar panel on the roof hooked up to the house battery. The camper sits outside when not in use. The specs on the controller are "Regulations point: 14.4 Volts; Low voltage Disconnect: 11.1V Volts; Low voltage Reconnect: 13.1 Volts; Microcontroller digital accuracy; Type of Charging: Series PWM & stat of charge(SOC); 4 Stages: equalization, PWM, Boost and Float, temperature compensated charging". So after reading all the charging info on this thread, it seems that with the controller for the solar panel turned on and the panel in the sun that it's adequately charging/maintaining the battery? Or should I turn the solar controller off while the camper is not in use.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Refer you to the phrase "a relevant business"...in other words, a business who sees the forum participants as potential or current customers. I never equated the size of Optima to any other business, only pointed out the utility for a business to engage with customers. Using your logic, I should be angry at Ford, Goodyear, etc. because their ownership isn't personally involved and leaving comments on Expo, Mud, and others.

I, too, have dealt with Martin and have been very, very pleased with his company and customer service. Small businesses are great, especially when they're creating, marketing, selling, and servicing their own products.

Not sure where you got that logic. I've seen Ford's on-line engagement with the Raptor truck as well as some other companies so I've not jumped to any conclusions about how you'd manage your anger, LOL. I've never before seen any company have a full time person who has thousands of posts that primarily try to refute all negative comments about their product. It is an eye opener to see the huge number of drive-by refutations. :Wow1:

Forum sampler: CK5 Blazer, CamaroZ28, Expo Portal, JeepForum.com, Race-Dezert, JalopyJournal, PriusChat, Lincoln vs Cadillac, stripers online, allfordmustangs, iH8mud, Pirate4x4, ffcars, infinitiScene, naxja, offshoreonly, RealmOfExcursion, corvette forum, superchevy, wranglerForum, OffShoreOnly, FullSizeBronco, S10Forum, CumminsForum, LS1GTO, BobIsTheOilGuy and on and on.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I haven't seem much in this discussion about charging/maintaining using a solar panel and controller and its benefits or complications with an optima battery. I have an optima yellow top as house battery for my camper. It is hooked up to the main starting battery with a Hellroaring battery isolator/combiner. But I also have an 85 watt solar panel on the roof hooked up to the house battery. The camper sits outside when not in use. The specs on the controller are "Regulations point: 14.4 Volts; Low voltage Disconnect: 11.1V Volts; Low voltage Reconnect: 13.1 Volts; Microcontroller digital accuracy; Type of Charging: Series PWM & stat of charge(SOC); 4 Stages: equalization, PWM, Boost and Float, temperature compensated charging". So after reading all the charging info on this thread, it seems that with the controller for the solar panel turned on and the panel in the sun that it's adequately charging/maintaining the battery? Or should I turn the solar controller off while the camper is not in use.

It sounds like a decent charge controller so it should be left on. One of the things that can hurt a lot of batteries is not keeping them topped off and having small very long term drains that run them down

TheJosh

Explorer
I'm very happy to report I solved the problems with my blue top!!!

I managed to get replaced under warranty from the speed shop I bought it at. Then I sold the new one on Craigslist. Problem solved!

Now I need to figure out what to do With this piece of crap yellow top?!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Not sure where you got that logic. I've seen Ford's on-line engagement with the Raptor truck as well as some other companies so I've not jumped to any conclusions about how you'd manage your anger, LOL. I've never before seen any company have a full time person who has thousands of posts that primarily try to refute all negative comments about their product. It is an eye opener to see the huge number of drive-by refutations. :Wow1:

Forum sampler: CK5 Blazer, CamaroZ28, Expo Portal, JeepForum.com, Race-Dezert, JalopyJournal, PriusChat, Lincoln vs Cadillac, stripers online, allfordmustangs, iH8mud, Pirate4x4, ffcars, infinitiScene, naxja, offshoreonly, RealmOfExcursion, corvette forum, superchevy, wranglerForum, OffShoreOnly, FullSizeBronco, S10Forum, CumminsForum, LS1GTO, BobIsTheOilGuy and on and on.
Lots and lots of companies have social media employees ----- many of them are covert though.
At least Jim is out in the open, fielding questions.

I found him on another forum and asked him to join here, btw. I had questions about Optimas when I was building my trailer. I had used a DH Platinum on the Conqueror and didn't like the characteristics. Jim led me to all sorts of resources to help me pick my batteries.

His sole purpose isn't just putting out fires and correcting ignorant statements. He also gets to do fun things, go to events, meet customers.
You're just seeing the glass half empty here...

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Lots and lots of companies have social media employees ----- many of them are covert though.
At least Jim is out in the open, fielding questions.

I found him on another forum and asked him to join here, btw. I had questions about Optimas when I was building my trailer. I had used a DH Platinum on the Conqueror and didn't like the characteristics. Jim led me to all sorts of resources to help me pick my batteries.

His sole purpose isn't just putting out fires and correcting ignorant statements. He also gets to do fun things, go to events, meet customers.
You're just seeing the glass half empty here...

I am not seeing the glass as half-empty because I ran a number of Google searches and am reporting on what I have seen. I'm not sure what measurement you are using for the glass. :sombrero: There are many, many forums where O-J has only 2 or 3 posts with the sole purpose of swirling the negative comments. A huge number of questions go unanswered because his boiler plate "multi quote" is filled with more "thanks for buying Optima statements" than they are filled with answers to questions. I don't think I have ever seen "That is a bad battery, we'll replace it immediately". It is mainly cherry picking the easy answers to fill in rather than address any one in detail. The one a couple of posts up from here has 14 answers in one with maybe 2 of them in response to my post. In those two responses O-J ignores the actual data and posts repetitive questions which is another way of damping down any one on one discussion.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Jim, thanks for posting those photographs. Our engineer indicated he likes your meters and while the voltage drop is ok, the measurements at the batteries seems on the low side and he asked if there is any change in the voltage at higher rpms, around 1800 or so or if you only see voltage above 14 volts at start up?

The pictures were right there with voltage readings at low and high RPMs so I'll post them again for you

The Scan Guage reads about 0.1 volts lower than the Fluke meters. I've only seen 14.2 volts early in the morning for a short while when starting the truck.
january20120221.jpg

Voltage reading at a lower RPM (add in the 0.1 volts for the battery reading)
january2012020hud.jpg

To use your analogy of sinks and tubs, while they may have the same water source, if the connections to the sink use rusty pipes, you may see rust in your sink. .

Yeah, but as you can see from my measurements there ain't no rust in my truck's pipes so why even bring that up?

Personally, I understand your frustration with the charging issues you've been experiencing. As you are now on your fourth Optima for your auxiliary system, at what point will you use a battery from another brand, to see how their performance compares to that of your Optimas in that specific application

That is funny. You say you understand my frustration? AND you want to know at what point I'll dump the Optima? Give me a full refund for this Optima and I'll go out and buy something else right this instant.

By conservative estimates, we sell more AGM automotive batteries than every other manufacturer combined, several times over. As a result, there will be far more conversations about our batteries (both good and bad) online. The volume of batteries we sell also allows us to be pro-active in assisting consumers in ways other brands and manufacturers simply cannot.

How many units sold?
How many returned?
How many defective?

I believe Black & Decker alone markets at least nine different models of battery chargers, which makes it hard to keep up with all the different features of the various units. I do know we often get feedback from folks who use those chargers and get F01 or F03 codes, indicating a bad battery, when their batteries are only deeply-discharged. I don't know if I've mentioned it in this thread or if that particular charger has a “gel” or “gel/AGM” setting, but we recommend avoiding any charger setting that has “gel” in it, as it may not fully-charge our batteries (or any non-gel battery) and could damage it over time.

I always use "AGM". That is quite a long answer to no question in particular.

We keep very close tabs on the quality of our batteries and as I'm sure you read on the Race-Dezert board,

Funny thing is, that is exactly the forum where the guys from Camburg said this:

"First off sorry for the negative post but...

I will never use an Optima again unless they fix their issues.

Long story short...

We have used and sold Optima since we started Camburg over 14 years. We sell about 100 of these a year and lately been getting lots of returns. Since they have been made in Mexico the quality has gone WAAAAAYYYYY down hill. We have been putting new batteries in the truck every race and they have been failing after every race. I have talked with our distributor about the issues and they told us for the last two years they have had nothing but issues. They now carry Odyssey and say these are way better. I am giving them a try." To Jim the Optima guy... Please tell your upper management to start making these here in the states again and bring back the quality! Until then I will use MADE IN THE USA Odyssey batteries!

And This:

Jim,

Not sure if you know what our experience is or not. But I can tell you we would only use Optima Batteries. We literally in testing 1 week ago lost 2 batteries that were brand new at Vegas to Reno (end of August race). These batteries should not have lost charge but they do. We lost 2 batteries at the Silver State 300 that caused the regulator in the alternator to go bad before pit 1. This cost us huge in the beginning of the race. We have been fighting these issues since last year. Before that we have not had any issues at all. The first race for this truck was the 2009 Baja 1000. Those batteries still work! After that none of them have been able to survive.

They sit in the truck wired to a battery switch. The switch is always in the OFF position so there is ZERO load on the batteries. Now why would they go dead in 1 month? Why does the 3 year old yellow top in my dual sport buggy sit there for 4 months and not lose any charge at all? Why would Interstate and Battery Systems both tell us the batteries have issues and they have also seen these issues over the last 2 years since the batteries have been made in Mexico? Remember you said "We are constantly striving to improve the quality of our products." So Mexico is striving for better quality? Really? They make better products than here in the USA?

On another note Google "Optima battery issues" and read away...

Like I said please FIX the problems because I really LIKED your batteries.

O-J's answers:

"Jerry, while I don't know exactly what your experience is, I do understand that you are not pleased with our batteries right now"

"Jerry, I appreciate your continued feedback and will certainly be forwarding your comments. I work for Optima and I'm happy to share our perspective on the situation, but I do not work for Interstate or Battery Systems and cannot speak on their behalf. As I mentioned previously, while the quality of the batteries produced in Colorado was excellent, the degree of automation in our current production process has greatly decreased variability, which has resulted in increased the consistency and reliability of our products. We built a state-of-the-art facility to manufacture the best batteries possible, not cut corners. I don't know why you spent $1,200 batteries, if the batteries they were replacing were still covered under warranty."

Jerry's answer was that he switched to Odyssey

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I am not seeing the glass as half-empty because I ran a number of Google searches and am reporting on what I have seen. I'm not sure what measurement you are using for the glass.
When I first "met" Jim and queried him about Optima products, I did so by PM. I don't know the ins and outs of his work-day but I bet most of the other glass-half-full experiences such as mine are done via PM.
The open forum is notorious for problem solving, problem venting, etc.

I'll draw a parallel from my personal experience.

On other forums I'm better known as a guy that tweaks headlights and likes to get best performance from lighting in general. Most of the forum members appreciate the work I've done; many solicit my advice for upgrading the headlights on their vehicles. Some of it is in the open forum; most of it is via PM ---- and I'm not a pro at it...

Now, there's another thing I'm known for as a result. I'm very openly against illegal headlight mods, the HID bootleg kits, craptastic IPF reflectors, Halo kits, LED bulbs in tail-lights, and a few others. I'm also pretty vocal about wastes of money like PIAA, Delta, Sylvania Silverstar, Lightfarce, Fyrlyt, etc.
To the people who like those products, I'm a "headlight Nazi" and the venom that spews at me is plentiful ----- glass-half-empty...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94