- CAD Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Metal Fabrication
- Plastics Modeling
- Guacamole Manufacturing
- Nunchaku Whirring

:sombrero:

Very excited to see what happens inside this bad boy. Hopefully you'll have a bit of extra time to improve on SMB's poptop details (switch panel placement, "Granny's mismatched upholstery," 1960's handles, etc).

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Super Duty truck mirrors are mounted and looking proper on the SEMA van.

The rest of the day is for finalizing the details of the interior CAD models. :)

screwball48

Explorer
You see this and wonder who at ford fell asleep on the mirror design. Those look killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Is he leaving the chrome on them? Damn they look good.

He asked for the chrome caps on the mirrors. I think the chrome looks great on this van.

I'm really happy with how this set turned out. The styling just works so much better for these '08+ vans. Plus they're WAY better mirrors for visibility (and of course the power functions are cool too).

packmule

Observer
He asked for the chrome caps on the mirrors. I think the chrome looks great on this van.

I'm really happy with how this set turned out. The styling just works so much better for these '08+ vans. Plus they're WAY better mirrors for visibility (and of course the power functions are cool too).

I think you said in the past that this mod would be hard to put in kit form ... is that still the case or could this eventually be available to the masses?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I think you said in the past that this mod would be hard to put in kit form ... is that still the case or could this eventually be available to the masses?

The problem is that the "masses" would need to be thousands of buyers before it would be even remotely feasible to manufacture these the right way with die casting and injection molding. Ford is in a way better position to take that on than I am.

I think everyone who's interested should email pictures of my van and the SEMA van to as many Ford execs and E-series engineers as we can find and plead with them to update the cut away van mirrors for the remaining years of production.

:)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Problem is that most of the cutaways are going to RV manufacturers that replace the mirrors anyway.

devo 1

Adventurer
I put a set on my 99 F350. They are fantastic for pulling a trailer. I'm going to order a set for my van and experiment.
2011_0129o8box0004.jpg

mgmetalworks

Explorer
In between all of the big things to do for this project, I still have to find time for the little stuff. Knocked this switch panel out tonight while waiting for my computer to back up files.

Also started prepping for the mirror wiring. I'll save the bulk of that job for when I need to relax and take a break. For whatever reason automotive wiring is like meditation for me. :)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
One of the upgrades for the SEMA van includes 2015 Sienna recliner style seats. This is the first pair I've seen in the "Chestnut Brown". Oh boy do they look good in this van!

I adapt the Ford seat belt pre-tensioner to the seat so the factory seat belts can be used and not upset the Restraints Control Module.

BTW... We've been trying for weeks to find some leather hides in this exact color to upholster the custom rear bench seat I've designed and it is proving to be very difficult. And by that I mean it might be impossible to find a match in the time we have left. Anyone out there in Expo internet land happen to be or know a custom leather supplier who can get 3 hides of this *exact* material by end of next week? Two weeks max.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles