Opinions Wanted - Overland Trailer Needed ASAP

tnwestes

I've been dragging around about buying or building a trailer for at least a year. I have tons of experience camping, backpacking, sleeping under my bedcover, etc., but I really need more room.

What's worse is that I've gone and scheduled a trip where we're planning on camping 5-10 nights, but I've never gotten around to buying a trailer and getting my setup ready to roll.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading and looking around on the interwebs but haven't looked at anything at all in the flesh. I'm currently focusing my search on trailer that either already has a RTT of some sort or is set up for one and considering a Taxa Woolly Bear, Turtleback Getaway, and any number of homemade rigs that are pretty well appointed.

My trip is right around the corner so I don't have time to build one. I view this as an entry level rig that I will build up if it's a good platform or buy up if I really enjoy using it and want to get deeper in. I'm looking for something used and turnkey or close to it.

What would you look for? I'm in East Tennessee and willing to drive 8-10 hours for the right deal.

I have been trying to keep my budget under $10k, but that's proving pretty difficult.

Most of my trips would not involve serious off roading, although I'm one to have bad luck and get myself into sticky situations so it's almost inevitable.

SBSYNCRO

Here's an easy and quick acid test: Do you camp in areas where it rains frequently? If so, I would rule out a soft roof top tent based solution in favor of a "square drop" or "teardrop" style. RTTs are a drag to stow when they are wet because you have to take out all the bedding (and possibly the mattress) if it won't have a chance to dry before the next night. The other downside is the wet/muddy transit cover you have to take off & put on (getting yourself filthy in the process).

If you camp mostly in dry weather, then I'm a big fan of the Turtleback Getaway (I have one myself). It is very compact, keeps me from carrying too much crap, but still has plenty of storage for silly stuff like shower tents and porte-potties. If you find one set up with the galley & water heater, it is a fantastic platform for 1-4 people (if you get an annex for the kids to sleep downstairs). :)

Big advantage to going with something like a Turtleback vs. home made is that they have been building them a long time. These things take a LOT of abuse when you're dragging them over washboard roads, and TBT has figured out where the weak points are and has addressed them, especially in their later models. The Icon suspension is amazing, and fit and finish and manufacturing quality still amazes me every time I find a new detail. Are they perfect? nope. But nothing is...

jbaucom

If your trip that is planned doesn't have any serious off roading, but it just typical forest service roads (at worst), I'd seriously look at renting a trailer for this trip instead of rushing to buy something before the trip. If you're lucky, you may even be able to find the types of trailers that you think you'd like to buy, for rent.

bikelanta

Adventurer
I would say that outdoorsy.com is your friend for something like this trip. Then you have a minor financial layout to determine if it's something you want to own in the future. We did it once and it was super beneficial in recognizing what we did and didn't want in a trailer we would own at some point.

tnwestes

Thanks a bunch for the feedback.

I should have specified that I'm pretty set on a RTT for now. Will probably settle for a soft sided tent now and upgrade later if desired.

I have looked at renting. Little to nothing available. Also, I'm not one to spend $500-1,000 renting when I could put that toward a purchase.

At the end of the day, I'm not really looking for advice/opinions on what to do for this trip. I'm looking for specific experience with particular manufactured trailers. I'll figure the trip out and not too concerned about it, but it does play in to a slightly more urgent search for a good trailer.

I will say, at this point, the fit/finish and quality construction of the Turtleback is extremely appealing when compared to some of the others.

billiebob

Younrealize the Turtleback Trailer is just the trailer. It does not include an RTT, you just get the rack ready to mount an RTT

And they start at $17K.
I did not check availability/delivery but if they are like every other manufacturer you won't get a new one til 2022.
And I doubt anyone selling a used one will drop to $10K. A deal might be $17K with an RTT.
And that is pretty much the market for everything overland.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I've been dragging around about buying or building a trailer for at least a year. I have tons of experience camping, backpacking, sleeping under my bedcover, etc., but I really need more room.

What's worse is that I've gone and scheduled a trip where we're planning on camping 5-10 nights, but I've never gotten around to buying a trailer and getting my setup ready to roll.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading and looking around on the interwebs but haven't looked at anything at all in the flesh. I'm currently focusing my search on trailer that either already has a RTT of some sort or is set up for one and considering a Taxa Woolly Bear, Turtleback Getaway, and any number of homemade rigs that are pretty well appointed.

My trip is right around the corner so I don't have time to build one. I view this as an entry level rig that I will build up if it's a good platform or buy up if I really enjoy using it and want to get deeper in. I'm looking for something used and turnkey or close to it.

What would you look for? I'm in East Tennessee and willing to drive 8-10 hours for the right deal.

I have been trying to keep my budget under $10k, but that's proving pretty difficult.

Most of my trips would not involve serious off roading, although I'm one to have bad luck and get myself into sticky situations so it's almost inevitable.
IMHO slow down a bit and make plans for a temp solution before you jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Buy or borrow a tent/shelter that will get you thru the upcoming festivities. I think you would have a better idea of what you want/need after this trip. Depending on your location there are companies that rent trailers as well.

Digglesby

I hope you get some answers related to what you actually asked. We are also currently weighing this idea but considering a teardrop style rather than RTT based.

I have a suspicion that your current situation will be limited more by what’s available and affordable rather than what you or anyone else think is good.

Best of luck and I’ll be interested to read what others have experienced with their trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBSYNCRO

Join the Turtleback trailers Facebook page. There are quite a few used units for sale though the least I’ve ever seen for one was $17k for a 2017 (that is available now afaik). Another option is to join any of the following groups on FB:

Turtleback Trailer Owners
RTT Camping, Overland & Gear
Off-Road and Expedition Trailers
Used Roof Top Tents bought & sold - USA

There are probably owners groups for other trailers. There is also a long thread here on Expo forum for people with the Chinese Smittybilt trailers. You may find one there that would be in the price range and that has already had its weaknesses addressed by a diligent owner and would be in your budget range.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBSYNCRO

Welcome to the Herd! Head on over to the Facebook Group and join, then introduce yourself. Tons of folks there with a lot of answers to help you get familiarized with your new Getaway. (I have a '19 with all the options)

Last edited:

tnwestes

Welcome to the Herd! Head on over to the Facebook Group and join, then introduce yourself. Tons of folks there with a lot of answers to help you get familiarized with your new Getaway. (I have a '19 with all the options)
Thanks! I joined a while back and posted this morning with a pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles