Opinions wanted: Harbor Frieght Engine Hoist - 1 ton verses 2 ton

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For working on passenger vehicles and light trucks, is a 2 ton hoist necessary? Is there any substantial difference between the 2 sizes of hoists?

Perhaps a better question is, should I just rent a hoist verses buying the Harbor Freight version? Cost would be about the same.

sonarman

If you have room forget engine hoist and get HF gantry crane much more useful. A one ton engine noise is sufficient but probably over rated by HF, get the heavier duty one.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks Guys. 2 ton purchased. Sonarman, I wish! I won't even be able to fit the engine hoist in my garage, let alone an overhead!
Also, I'm curious about your name. I was an STG in the Navy on Burke Class Destroyers (DDG-54 Curtis Wilbur)

mm58

Observer
Have gotten many years of use out of my HF 2-ton hoist. Advantage over a gantry
hoist is the horizontal "reach". Useful when pulling and inserting engines in/out
of a vehicle

D

Deleted member 9101

I had one a few years back. When I was done I sold it for 1/2 of what I paid for it.

cesarcaligula

If buying it and renting it are the same price then you should obviously buy it. If you need to free up garage space later you can sell it on craigslist. Also, there are plenty of solid engine hoists other than Harbor Freight. And 2 ton will definitely be plenty. In fact, it sounds like a 1 ton option would have done just fine for you, but since you already bought it, enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94