Opinions Solicited......Another Head Scratching Mid Size Truck Choice Thread

85_Ranger4x4

Nostalgia = more fuel to go slower.... But it sounds good....lol.

There isn’t a huge mpg difference between the two, especially if you are towing/hauling.
There is also less going on with the Coyote which will never need a turbo, turbo oiling lines, intercooler etc or coke valves.

A catch can is a good investment on a DI only Ecoboost...

If you go used the early 2.7’s had out of round bore problems and excessively used oil. Turn about fair play though the second gen Coyotes had bore problems too when they changed sleeve liners.

Both should be fixed by now but it is something to watch out for (aka not something you want to deal with out of warranty)

I have bounced all over but I keep coming back to wanting a new Ranger myself.

D

Deleted member 9101

There isn’t a huge mpg difference between the two, especially if you are towing/hauling.
There is also less going on with the Coyote which will never need a turbo, turbo oiling lines, intercooler etc or coke valves.

A catch can is a good investment on a DI only Ecoboost...

If you go used the early 2.7’s had out of round bore problems and excessively used oil. Turn about fair play though the second gen Coyotes had bore problems too when they changed sleeve liners.

Both should be fixed by now but it is something to watch out for (aka not something you want to deal with out of warranty)

I have bounced all over but I keep coming back to wanting a new Ranger myself.

I have had the 5.0 and 3.5 in work trucks. The EcoBoost got about 1mpg less when towing.... Buuuut it never once strained or had to rev to it's redline to get things moving. I was pretty sad when we got rid of the 3.5 and I was "stuck" with the 5.0. The difference in performance while towing is pretty drastic. Even the 2.7 out pulls the 5.0.

The 2.7 has its growing pains worked out now and there are plenty of them in the six figure mileage with no problems. The new ones have a dual injection, which can run E85, which mean you can now make quite a bit more power with the proper tune.

A catch can is nice (I have one)...but I solve the problem by running fully synthetic oil with a low NOACK rating amd changimg it every 5k. If you stop it from off gassing, then there is nothing to gum up the works to begin with. ;-)

A close friend of mine bought an XLT Ranger a few months back. I'm anxiously waiting for him to go beyond a tune and start making some serious power. Right now it's pretty damn quick for a "little truck" with a four banger...haha.

I had thought about waiting to get a Ranger, but like the Tacoma the back seat just isn't built for adults to spend extended time in.

jadmt

ignore button user

jgallo1

Adventurer
We're doing a reverse Xmas thing here in Colorado. My wife has been 3cm dilated for the past week and a half, yet miraculously no baby... We've been told by the doctors to expect her "in the next week" for almost a month now!

That said, I've been compared favorably to Robert Pirsig a few times over the years... I haven't read it yet, but I guess I should add it to the stack on my bedside table... It's only a foot thick right now, so maybe I'll get there eventually. If it's light, it may float to the top. I doubt I'll have had enough sleep for a while for anything super heavy.

(Edit: Just ordered a copy off Amazon)

De nada! Thanks for the imagery as a compliment! That sort of post is why I spend more time here than the Colorado-specific forum!

I'm not familiar with Walter Benjamin. Please enlighten us!

Benjamin had a theory that to truly understand something, one had to leave it and then comeback to it in a roundabout way..
Like a walkabout with out destination.
I just realized while typing this, that I have unintentionally employed this method to my current status with vehicles ha ha

spectre6000

Observer
Interesting... I employ a similar technique often in an effort to make sure my preconceived notions/preferences/irrational tendencies aren't coloring my decisions too much.

When we bought my wife's car (an applicable example if ever there was one), the strategy was to make a list of everything she wanted to be able to do with a car, then made a spreadsheet of all available cars on the market in relation to those needs/desires. She went into it thinking something other than a Jeep Rubicon (a Subaru maybe?), and ended up on a Rubicon, which just happened to be her dream car but wasn't previously under consideration. She loves her car, and there's no "getting tired of it" motivations to replace it with anything else four years down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles