Opinions on the Liberty

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
We’re moving to a more rural area and my wife wants a Jeep. She thinks she wants a Wrangler, but I’m trying to talk her into a second generation Liberty, the KK. I think that would be more suited to her planned use.

What do you all think of the KK as a daily driver in northern Nevada, both paved and dirt roads, for a woman who is not particularly knowledgeable about cars?

kayadog

Adventurer
I loved my KK. It’s no Wrangler but for mild off roading and as a daily driver it was great. The boxy shape and folding passenger seat allow it hold a lot of stuff and with 235/75r16 or 215/85r16 all terrains it is more capable then given credit for. It also tows well. The drawbacks are the lack of ground clearance when stock and it is difficult to lift effectively. Gas mileage is also pretty poor and the power of the 3.7 combined with the 4 speed transmission is barely adequate. I also think the “look” of the kk has aged well. Look for the upgraded sport model with tinted windows, fog lamps, and roof rack rails. Stay away from the folding panoramic roof— they leak and are difficult to repair.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
My dad had one and enjoyed it. He put a 2” spacer lift on it and it became really wobbly but flexed better than expected for IFS. Never did any off-roading but did load it with river rafting gear a couple times and it did well. Ended up trading it in for a JK. Before the KK he had KJ and I liked that much better. Felt more like a Jeep and less like a Dodge Nitro. KK dEfinitely is more spacious but I think it’s road manners were just ok compared to the sporty feeling KJ. For someone as a daily driver it’s probably a fine car to have and I’m sure with an actual spring lift it would be pretty nice on mild off-road trails too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy wife. Happy life. Get the wrangler I’ve seen some nice. Older diesel liberties. But at the end of the day it is just another ifs suv. Get her a wrangler. Jl

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I've owned a KJ and currently own a 70th anniversary KK (wife's) with only 49k miles on it. I am not impressed with the dependability and would not own it without extended warranty. It has had 3 transmissions and is probably going to get the 4th soon. materials used for interior are not great and this is a premium upgraded interior. Wife loves it or it would have been gone awhile ago. Just my .02

rustypayne

I sold my KJ with just short of 300,000 on the original engine / transmission and absolutely loved it, probably the single most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. We get a lot of snow in the winter and my wife worked 3rd shift so it was perfect for her getting back and forth to work and hauling kids/groceries. It was quite capable for light off roading but the ground clearance wouldn't allow anything too serious, gas mileage sucked but was about the same as my JKUR.

billiebob

She thinks she wants a Wrangler,
I think she KNOWS she wants a Wrangler. Quit being a dickhead, encourage her to buy the Jeep which holds value better than any other vehicle in NorthAmerica. Why do you want an SUV the same as every other SUV. Get the Wrangler !!

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
I think she KNOWS she wants a Wrangler. Quit being a dickhead, encourage her to buy the Jeep which holds value better than any other vehicle in NorthAmerica. Why do you want an SUV the same as every other SUV. Get the Wrangler !!
Clearly you didn’t read my post where I say we’ll get a Wrangler. And thank you so much for calling me a dickhead. You must be a real blast at parties.

roving1

Trying to talk someone out of a Wrangler into a Liberty is madness. I would want the Jeep with capability and resale or the Japanese or Korean CUV/SUV that is reliable and fuel efficient. Even the Diesel could not convince enough to go with a Liberty after my XJ rusted out. The KK is why I stopped owning Jeeps after decades and switched to other things LOL.

Glad you went with the Wrangler.

billiebob

That was the voice of experience for I too have been a dickhead who sold his wife on a Grand over a Sante Fe.... And paid for the next 2 years until she traded it on a 6 cylinder Legacy. Biggest marriage mistake is when a guy thinks he won.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Out of curiosity...how did you like the KJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still have my KJ and I am very happy with it. 140k and vehicle stuff has been very reliable. I have the diesel engine which is reliable once you remove the Chrysler engineering (cheap head bolts, faulty egr, crappy hoses, etc.) Have JKUR too but personally the diesel + 242 transfer case (awd + 4wd) is a great combination and really wish the JKUR had those options.

kayadog

Adventurer
Let’s keep in mind a used KK is going to be a lot cheaper than similar condition used JK. If the price was the same obviously the JK is the clear winner. I drive a JK now it but I had few complaints about my Liberty and liked being the only modified KK in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior