Opinions on the HDJ80?

zimm

Expedition Leader
the funny part is, all and all it would be cheaper to just drive the grand wagoneer until it shows rust, sell it, and then buy another grand wagoneer, if thats what floats your boat.

why sing 25000 into a cruiser?

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks for the comments, you guys. I priced an imported LHD diesel 80 out and was quoted $18,000. I has 152,000 kms on it so, a little over 90,000 miles. From what I've read, they'll get 25mpg if driven 65mph or slower. (vs 13mpg for gas, from what I've read) So, at 500 miles a week (26000 a year), I'd save about 1000 gallons of fuel a year or about $2500. In 5 years, that would come out to $12500 in savings, which would be about my break even point.

A different option would be to buy a decent U.S. 80 and drop extra money into an engine swap. I hear about guys getting upper teens out of LS engines... Or I could wait and see what the new Jeep pickup looks like.

Like I said, I don't see the 100 series having enough suspension flex for me to feel ok about running Moab style trails in it. (Unless you guys can show me some info on people getting travel out of that front end)

Also, the Waggy is too clean for me to run it in winter. I could probably sell it for $15000 out here in New England and I wouldn't be able to replace it.

Are there any other stick shift vehicles that seat 6 that you guys think would do better? I'm open to suggestions!

zimm

Expedition Leader
12500 (x) the interest lost in a fund (-) the depreciation on the 18,000 dollar rusted 80 no one is going to want. your math on your loss falls way short, your mileage delta is optimistic.

the market for imported diesel LC's is down and the 70's have tanked.

get it cause you want it, but there ain't no point in lyin' to yerself.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Sounds like the consensus over here is still against. But zimm, I have to say you come across as a bit condescending in your posts. Perhaps that's not your intent but that's the way your come across. I'm an adult, a professional and I understand mathematics. I'm open to your experience on the topic and even your suggestions. But let's keep the discussion mature and respectful.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Are there any other stick shift vehicles that seat 6 that you guys think would do better? I'm open to suggestions!

I don't know about "better", but there are a manual tranny swapped diesel Excursion and E350 van on this forum as another alternative for seating 6.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I don't know about "better", but there are a manual tranny swapped diesel Excursion and E350 van on this forum as another alternative for seating 6.

I hadn't thought of those. I'll have to check into pricing the diesels. Thanks ChuckB!

hieronymus

Adventurer
Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
the funny part is, all and all it would be cheaper to just drive the grand wagoneer until it shows rust, sell it, and then buy another grand wagoneer, if thats what floats your boat.

why sing 25000 into a cruiser?

Because that's how overlanding works. You buy a brand new TRD Tacoma and then spend $10k redoing the suspension and tires, depreciation be damned....everyone knows this.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I hadn't thought of those. I'll have to check into pricing the diesels. Thanks ChuckB!

OT: No problem! I have been wandering into the 4x4 Van section for some time now. Have you seen the Toyota Sienna seats installed in one??!!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Nothing beats the sound of an HDJ80, with an intercooler mounted and the exhaust shortened............check Youtube ;-)
Here's one in Spain, an automatic (nothing wrong with that) for a good price: http://ww3.autoscout24.nl/classified/296895253?asrc=st|as

And if you wanna go cheap, a non-turbo 5-speed manual with a little rust (close to where I live): http://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/autos/toyota/landcruiser-hzj80-1992-165411559.html

The 80 in Spain looks decent, but is not eligible for importation into the U.S. until ~2019 (needs to be 25 years old).

Arktikos

Explorer
You guys have good points and it sounds like you guys are suggesting to shy away from the diesel in favor of a higher mileage 80 or a 100. My only concern is the gas mileage I guess. I drive 90 miles a day commuting to and from work and was hoping to improve gas mileage while getting a vehicle that I could do moderate offroad trails with. !

Winter trails? I thought you had a truck for off roading. What would make the most sense for you, as a winter commuter, would be a Subaru.

Oh, and I do know a guy with one of these diesel 80's, RHD, here in Alaska who drives it in winter. He likes it OK, but now wishes it wasn't lifted.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Someone brought it to my attention that they were doing a search and this thread came up... without a conclusion! In early 2017, I bought a 1HDT converted U.S. FZJ80. I've driven it 60,000 miles so far without any issues... it has been awesome. I get around 20mpg and have modded the powertrain a fair bit. I now have a PDI highflow intake box (4" pipe, 200 series filter) going through a GTurbo GTX and a PDI intercooler. I have the fueling turned to the max side of the aneroid. Power is very good. Fully loaded, on 315s, I can accelerate up the steepest grades, usually without a need to downshift. I can drive 80mph anywhere I want to go. I tow a 23' boat without any issue. I also wheel trails that are waay harder than my crawl box'd Tacoma could have handled... usually with my wife and 2 kids. It turns out that I needed a solid front axle in my life and it will be hard to go back to IFS if/when that day comes. I put a 3" Slinky long travel suspension under it and I am love the setup on and off road.

I'm glad I made the switch and only miss my Tacoma for sentimental reasons. I'll be holding on to this rig for a long time.

8RXEKf2h.jpg

YshzT7Oh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94