Opinions on the HDJ80?

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
So, I currently own a built Tacoma as my off road go-to and an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer as the "Family Adventure Wagon". I recently moved to the rusty Northeast and I don't want to drive the Waggy in winter here. So, I'm looking at an 80 series LC to fill that function. It seems to me that I can go down one of 2 routes.

Route 1: Buy a cheap LC and run it.
Route 2: Buy a nice LC (Expensive) protect it, build it and turn it into a more extreme family adventure vehicle.

That brings me to my question. In my research, I've found companies that import diesel LCs from other countries. My interest has peaked in a left hand drive, diesel, 5 speed LC. (I MUCH prefer a standard trans to an auto) So, do any of you have any experience with the HDJ80? Have any of you imported one? Is importing one a good or bad idea?

Any experience or advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I updated the title. If you guys don't have much first hand experience, tell me your opinion on the diesel 80 series vs gas. (Are they worth the extra cost?) Usually I have to fight off everyone's opinion instead of coax it out!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I ran a fleet of 4WD Toyotas including these for a mine in Australia. Very solid reliable vehicle. The 1HDT is the engine to aim for or the 1HZ turbo. The normally aspirated ones are a lot slower which would not fit well with American driving conditions and roads.

The ones we used were the "poverty pack" models with manual everything. Never had any issues with them but we did turn them every 3 years and they were mostly used by management. Check carefully for rust or repairs around the fender wells and door sills. If they have been used on the beach a lot (Australia) it can eat them away. Remember if getting one from Australia they will have a lot of miles and generally been used for what they were designed for. There are a lot less mall crawlers over there.

My preference if importing a truck would be a troopy but the later years of the HDJ80 would run a very close 2nd.

If your time has much value I would suggest using one of the guys who are importing them regularly. Finding one overseas, buying it unseen and then going through the hassle of shipping and import takes time, money and courage. I have not had the intestinal fortitude to go through the process with either of the 2 cruisers I own in Australia. And that's me knowing them not buying without personally checking them out. But with the AUD rate being so good at the moment it is definitely worth considering.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been looking at "Cruiser Import Company" who imports from Spain. They advertise as being able to get LHD 1HDT rigs with a 5 speed. Any opinion on them?

Pokey

Adventurer
imho it really comes down to how you are going to use it.

The cost difference right now between the diesels and fzjs in most cases is approaching the $15k mark and i just dont see the justification unless you are planning on lots of deep water crossings or 20k+ miles per year with family. The diesel version is simply going to cost a bunch more to maintain in the long run and while that added expense could be justified if you are doing that heavy a mileage/ trailering or treacherous water crossings....im going to take a wild guess that thats not the case for you.

Do your homework. durability wise- both are about the same with a slight nod to 1fz. (especially if daily driven / or shorter trips is a factor for you)
maintenance wise- diesel is simply going to be more costly to maintain. Diesel snobs are going to whine....but 550km-600km on the hdt is not the norm-period. while a simple search of craigslist for 1fz80s has tons and tons each month with 300k-400k miles! Bebs every 100k vs one time hg basically offsets each other in terms of price/pm. But god forbid your I.P. needs a rebuild ! get out yer wallet or sell a kid.

hauling wise.- if you have been fine in a jeep grand wagoneer....the fzj will work for your family and not require a jump to the better ultra heavy hauling advantages of the hdt- ( if say you wanted to pull a trailer etc-then nod to 1hdt for sure)

parts wise.- obviously every dealer in every state - definite big nod to fzj. unless you are planning trips south of border and down into south america.

range wise- the U.S. isnt exactly the outback.....with a gas station within about 300-400mi. of anywhere you drop a pin on the map- the advantage in range is 100% negated by adding subtanks or jerries if/ when needed ANYWHERE in lower 50.

tranny wise- id put an a442 up against a h15O or 151 any day of week. Just check ebay au. for all the reconditioned 5 speeds. And then sift thru 10 years of threads in the 80s forums and see if you can find 3 failed tranny threads. I would say you will do 3-4 clutches and 1 -2 tranny rebuilds on the 5 speeds vs. 1 change of synthetic fluid every 100k miles on an a442.

Both have their advantages. But im going to guess that unless you and family are planning on taking a year or two off work- pulling kids from school and globetrotting ( advantage hdj ) that finding the lowest mile fzj80/ best maintenance historied one you can afford is going to have your wallet alot fatter than venturing down the hdj import path.

and since you already have a built taco for "gettin at it" .....if your family needs a tad more comfort and capacity than an 80......Depending again on what type of family "getting out there" you are doing- the 100series may be a contender if you can live with the shortcomings of ifs front and arent goign to be pushing it to the limits. The 100 is really in the sweet spot right now in terms of price as you can basically find 5-7 year newer vehicles than the newest 80series for similar $. Newer has alot of advantage in terms of serviceability / durability and 10 years from now when 80 oem parts are dried up....the 100s will still be available.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Or maybe, if you're feeling brave, go buy a well worn-out FZJ 80 here in America and put a newer diesel engine in it, like the 2.8L Cummins:
http://expeditionportal.com/2017_sema-day-two-product-showcase/.

Or go buy a brand new, warrantied diesel truck, like the 2.8L Duramax Colorado.

Just saying, there are more domestic options for diesels than there have been in years past. Buying an imported diesel sounds great on paper, but will probably be more of a hassle for maintenance and repair.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
You guys have good points and it sounds like you guys are suggesting to shy away from the diesel in favor of a higher mileage 80 or a 100. My only concern is the gas mileage I guess. I drive 90 miles a day commuting to and from work and was hoping to improve gas mileage while getting a vehicle that I could do moderate offroad trails with. I guess you can hit most of the milder trails with a 100 (with f/r lockers) and the reduced price can offset the gas mileage. I just prefer to have more suspension travel than a torsion beam can give.. For getting out, I'd like to run moderate level trails like these:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=26

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=100

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=97

Unless you guys think otherwise, my guess is I'd have to upgrade/replace all the suspension components on any rig I buy to run these, wouldn't I? (focusing maintenance concerns on engine/transmission) As for an engine swap, that's an option. I did the B18C1 Engine/trans/shift linkage/ecu swap into my wifes civic, but it took a good while to get all the electrical items sorted out. I don't know if I have that kind of time anymore. But, the idea of the 5.0 Cummins in an 80 series does sound nice!

Dalko43

Explorer
I did the B18C1 Engine/trans/shift linkage/ecu swap into my wifes civic, but it took a good while to get all the electrical items sorted out. I don't know if I have that kind of time anymore. But, the idea of the 5.0 Cummins in an 80 series does sound nice!

I think the 5.0 Cummins is a tad heavy and overkill for the 80 series, the Duramax or Cummins Inline 4, with over 360lb-ft, would be more than enough to turn some big wheels on an 80 series.

nlscooby

Observer
I recently picked up a triple-locked HDJ81 (1991) with the 1HDT engine. Mine is an Auto from Japan - so its RHD. You'll pay a significant premium for a LHD model and they are most often not nearly as well cared for as one from Japan. I've spent some time looking. Mine is completely rust free. The nice thing compared to an 80 of the same vintage made for the US is that mine has a full-floating rear and rear disc brakes. I have no factory roof rack (so no rust issues). I have had to address a few issues typical to 80's and the diesel in particular (had the injection pump rebuilt)... and some more difficult pieces unique to RHD vehicles.......but otherwise I am taking care of PM and have installed a mild lift, sliders and some wheels/tires. The only real draw back is that whole drive-through window thing! I had to get out of the car to drop some mail in the slot at the post office!

I'm just finishing the timing belt, thermostat, water pump, radiator, hoses, etc.... service this weekend and then I plan to enjoy it!

Good luck - the thrill of the chase is half the fun!

If you want to buy an overseas diesel Land Cruiser for the cool factor, that's great. If you want to drive it a lot and buy over the counter parts, I would consider buying a nice, stock NA market FJ80 and swapping in a 5.3 LS V8. I'm just wrapping up a conversion on a FJ60 and it is definitely one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with a modern American V8. Plenty of smooth power at an affordable price.

You could even swap in a Toyota 5spd or NV4500 while you're at it.

nlscooby

Observer
Yep - you could do that - and its a great option. I'm all about the cool factor. Ha. Actually I really like Diesels....and to combine a terrific diesel engine with the capabilities inherent to a triple locked 80 was just too great to pass up.
I certainly agree that not being able to pop into a dealer or regular auto parts store for engine specific parts can be a PITA. But with this internet thing, you can find almost anything you need and get it within a few days.....(albeit for a price! :) )

zimm

Expedition Leader
1. if youre willing to drop the coin on a diesel 80, buy a 100. a stock 100 will do what a stock 80 does, it doesnt cost any more to upgrade, and no comparison in comfort.

2. getting 5mpg more means you have to drive an awful lot to brake even on thediesel buy in.

the only reason to buy an 80 diesel is to say you have an 80 diesel. which is good enough if thats what you want. no one buys a lambo to go 210mph.

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
Unless you guys think otherwise, my guess is I'd have to upgrade/replace all the suspension components on any rig I buy to run these, wouldn't I? (focusing maintenance concerns on engine/transmission) As for an engine swap, that's an option. I did the B18C1 Engine/trans/shift linkage/ecu swap into my wifes civic, but it took a good while to get all the electrical items sorted out. I don't know if I have that kind of time anymore. But, the idea of the 5.0 Cummins in an 80 series does sound nice!

unless youre towing a 5.0 cummins is overkill. power breaks things.

with appropriate gearing 200hp/250ftlb is all you need in a medium sized offroad truck. the issue isnt the straight 6. thats a nice motor. id love one in my 60. the issue is the automatic. its great for mall cruisers that may see dirt roads. if an nv4500 came mated to it, you'd never hear a complaint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94