Opinions on suzuki dr200se

I hate to start this kind of thread but I'm pretty bike illiterate. Thanks in advance.

I've got the chance to buy a pretty clean '96 Suzuki dr200se with 9,000 miles for around $1,000. I have always wanted a bike to beat around the farm with. I don't really want something to big because I've never really rode much and want to get my feet wet. I would be using the bike to go back and forth to school, scoot around town, and explore some farms, and possibly do some woods riding.

How would this bike fair for that kind of riding? How reliable and is there any problem areas I should look for? I might need to hop on the freeway on occasion (65-70 mph 20 miles tops) , how would this bike hold up?

Edit: Also just found a 95 KLR250 with 2k miles for $1500. Looks clean, but once again don't know too much about it.

Last edited:
Thanks man. I was looking at that earlier. I'm going to go look at the bike tomorrow with a friend who rides alot, but I'm thinking about holding out for a little biger bike (250-400). I dont think I would be happy with this in the long run.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think it's the perfect bike for you to start out on and learn. The price is nice, and once you decide to upgrade, you should be able to get 80-100% of your money back on resale. That bike will do exactly what you need it to do, save maybe 65-70 on the highway. It might not do that too well, but then as a new rider, neither will you.

robert

Expedition Leader
Most of the smaller dualsports aren't going to be too happy going highway speeds for extended periods. The more dirt oriented they are, the squirrelier (is that a word?) they tend to be at higher speeds too. The new fuel injected Yamaha WR250 with it's six speed tranny and the KLX250 are better choices, but they're still hitting higher RPMs if you keep them geared for offroading. I've got a DRZ400 that would be about perfect if it had a six speed.

The DR200 would be a great bike for learning on as well as goofing off- their light weight is a good thing off road but a bad thing on the road (they get blown around by wind and passing vehicles and get squirrely at speed). They also lack the extra power you sometimes need to pass or get out of a potentially bad situation. I'm not sure how much riding you've done so don't think I'm talking down to you- think of it as trying to pull a steep grade with a heavily loaded truck, they just run out of steam. The old "that's all there is and there ain't no more" syndrome. No big deal as long as you keep it in mind and ride within yours and the bike's limitations. Personally I like small bikes, but I wouldn't want to ride one on say GA400 around Atlanta where everyone is driving 80mph.

Yea, unless a really good deal comes along I think I'm going to just wait till I'm out of school and get a drz400 (always had a crush on suzukis). I don't really want anything bigger than a 400 for the dirt but would like the road manners of something around that size.

robert

Expedition Leader
The DRZ is a good all around bike but it has it's limitations too. It's biggest one is it's five speed tranny; it really needs another gear something fierce. It's easy to add or subtract a gear front or rear to make it perform better in one situation or the other but it hurts it on the other end. While it will run 70 on the highway, it's pretty scary as it gets squirrely in the front. It has the weight, but the dirt oriented frame geometry that gives it tighter steering off road makes it interesting on road at speed. I really want to put a stabilizer on mine. Overall it's a great bike for general use though. There's a huge DRZ thread on AdventureRider in the Thumpers section.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
unlike many i dont think the size of the bike matters at all for starting out or learning. i think if you dont have to be on the highway you'll be happy with it, just know that once you start riding you may want more bike real soon.

Katoomer

for $1000 i'd jump on it, if not, there are plenty of bikes to consider, these and more

KTM 250 XCF-W - 101.6 kg (223.98 lbs) (the four-stroke one) approx. 35 HP
XT225 - 238 lbs
DR-Z 400S- 291.0 pounds, Measured horsepower: 32.5 bhp @ 7850 rpm
klr 650 - 387.0 pounds
KTM 690 Enduro - 305.3 pounds
WR250R - 295.0 pounds

Katoomer

oh, sorry, thought it was a drz400 for $1000. DR200, not sure about 70mph but a hoot off road, light but not light for a 200, I would offer $800. Well maybe $1000 if its street legal

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier