Opinions on Rhino Rack vs. Teraflex Nebo?

chapelno

Looking for a roof rack to go on a hardtop 4dr Wrangler JK. The rack will (at different times) haul a canoe or a RTT. Maybe an awning. I think I have it boiled down to either the 3-bar Rhino Rack or the Teraflex Nebo. Priorities for me are lightweight and relatively aerodynamic; 95% of the time the rack is just along for the ride on my commute. I don't have a need for a full-length exoskeleton.

The two racks share roughly the same specs as far as weight, dynamic/static load, etc. They're mounted similarly and cost roughly the same. Aesthetics are also kind of a wash, with maybe a slight nudge in favor of the Nebo. Anyone have an opinion or particular experience as to one or the other? Thanks.

akpostal

Adventurer
I mainly needed 2 bars not a platform so the Backbone with aero bars fit my needs. I use it mainly for a raft in the summer and a small basket in the winter. I do have an awning for it that I just havent needed to mount yet.

The Nebo for the 2 door wasnt released when I was rack shopping but I dont think I would like the way the tubes of my raft would ride on the side rails of the Nebo. Ild also be curious how awnings would mount to the Nebo.

chapelno

I went with the Teraflex Nebo, though I share your concern about mounting things to the side rails and how items will sit on the rails. What pushed me toward the Nebo was how it mounts to the vehicle (to the roll cage as opposed to Rhino's backbone) and that with enough slats you can create a surface up top. I'll post a reply here once it's installed.

Last edited:

akpostal

Adventurer
The Nebo is a nice looking rack and would have made my decision harder if the 2 door had been available. From the looks of it the Nebo slats should be able to use many of the mounts and accessories available from Rhino Rack. The price of the Nebo slat kit is about a wash compared to the RR Pioneer platform.

lwanted

I'm torn between the Nebo and the Rhino rack for my 2 door JK. Leaning towards the RR after watching the installation of the Nebo, too much drilling for me :/

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior