Opinions on Pirelli Pista?

dentedvw

Wire twister
Can anyone comment on the Pirelli Pista tires? I am looking at 335/80 R20 specifically. I was weighing them against the Goodyear G275.
The pirelli appears to be narrower in the tread, though without having them side by side, I have only the numbers to go on.
The truck they will be installed on is a Ram 5500, with a box. My intended use is highway/desert. My concern is sand, largely. Will an inch or so of tread make a lot of difference? My experiences so far have been with a 4x4 van and various small 4x4's. I am not certain how well those experiences will translate to a truck of this size in this way. My feeling is that wider is generally better, with regards to tread area, especially against rocks and in sand. But maybe it will be negligible?
Goodyear: 13.1 width, 12 ply
Pirelli: 333mm (13.1"), 16 ply.
But, it looks narrower. Pirelli on right.
Also, the pirelli is significantly less expensive. :)

goodyearg275.pngpirellipista.jpg

doug720

Expedition Leader
The size difference is almost impossible to discern without actually measuring an actual tire. The same size tires from different manufactures always vary.

A concern with the Pirelli's for me would be the 16 ply rating. That is likely a very stiff tire, and a much higher load rating than you could ever need with a 5500 truck. The ride would be rough at best.

Good hunting and travels.

dentedvw

Wire twister
The reason for the 16 ply tire is load rating. I am estimating this truck will be around 14k when completed. It's not a bare box, and unfortunately it's not a sweet composite box.
Believe me, if I thought I could get away with an E rated tire, I definitely would do that.

Darwin

Explorer
Just from the looks it looks about the same as the mpt81, but narrower than the Goodyear GSM's. One issue with the Pirelli you might consider is that since they are not sold in the USA I believe most of the date codes I have seen are around 2011 or 12. Most commercial tires are required to be removed after 5 years regardless of mileage, so I have heard.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The reason for the 16 ply tire is load rating. I am estimating this truck will be around 14k when completed. It's not a bare box, and unfortunately it's not a sweet composite box.
Believe me, if I thought I could get away with an E rated tire, I definitely would do that.

You have a build thread anywhere? I am building (truck is on order) a 5500 with a box also.

Cheers

dentedvw

Wire twister
It is here, somewhere. :) Not very far along, the going is slow as I am building outdoors in the driveway and it is winter. Also full time job and etc etc. Haha!

brianone20

Is there any other feedback on the Pirelli PS22? I have been considering them as well, but I have not been able to find many reviews on them at all.
It is impossible to find anything at all on these. I might go for them on a build I'm working on. If I do, I will report back here.

Korey H

It is impossible to find anything at all on these. I might go for them on a build I'm working on. If I do, I will report back here.

Second hand info. Jeff at 1st Attack spoke highly of the Pista, says he’s running them on his personal rig. He’s been generous with his time. Nonetheless I want with the conti he seemed confident in the value of the Pista.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Looking for feedback here as well. Particular the infamous date code issue. Seems to me if the date codes are 10 years old they are a NO GO.

brianone20

That's great info thank you. CSM tires has them. https://www.csmarmytires.com/pirelli-pista-ps22-33580r20.html
The 335/80 r20 size is rated for 7k lbs capacity, 16ply, 125lbs per tire at 68 mph.
I spoke to Philip the owner at CSM and he said he's had them for 4 years and people have repeat purchased the tires from him with great feedback. He does not have personal use info, but he reported only positive notes from buyers. No notes about road noise, lifespan etc, however at $285 per tire vs. nearly a grand per tire for the Goodyear G275's, this seems like it's worth the experimental venture.
Lastly, he did say these tires were built in 2012 and he bought a ton on wholesale hence the low cost per tire to buyers. He said they have been stored indoors and they look and fell brand new.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
That's great info thank you. CSM tires has them. https://www.csmarmytires.com/pirelli-pista-ps22-33580r20.html
The 335/80 r20 size is rated for 7k lbs capacity, 16ply, 125lbs per tire at 68 mph.
I spoke to Philip the owner at CSM and he said he's had them for 4 years and people have repeat purchased the tires from him with great feedback. He does not have personal use info, but he reported only positive notes from buyers. No notes about road noise, lifespan etc, however at $285 per tire vs. nearly a grand per tire for the Goodyear G275's, this seems like it's worth the experimental venture.
Lastly, he did say these tires were built in 2012 and he bought a ton on wholesale hence the low cost per tire to buyers. He said they have been stored indoors and they look and fell brand new.

That's good feedback. But rubber degrades over time. Even if they are in good shape they are 9 years old. Only concern for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles