Opinions on Older Round Nose Mercedes Trucks (LA911, etc.) for budget Overland Travel??

Keyne

Adventurer
I have always liked the older Mercedes rounded front trucks and looking for opinions on the feasibility of using one for lower budget (Less than $100K for the overland truck and finished cabin) overland travel starting in US, then S. America, and then Europe, etc.? For instance:

- Assuming they are pretty basic and reliable from a chassis and engine perspective?
- Part availability - especially US? Hard to get parts?
- Are they just too old to be practical? Similar to a Split window or Bay style VW bus... maybe cool but not a great option

I know they would be slow but I am not as concerned about that and in fact, that could be part of the charm. For example, a truck like this:

Joe917

Explorer
The older real round nose Mercedes have real character. They are solid overland vehicles if you can get a good one and can live with the lack of power. Parts are fairly easy to get in North America but you may have to wait a week or so for specialty parts. Great truck for North/South America, Africa, but Europe not so much.

Keyne

Adventurer
The older real round nose Mercedes have real character. They are solid overland vehicles if you can get a good one and can live with the lack of power. Parts are fairly easy to get in North America but you may have to wait a week or so for specialty parts. Great truck for North/South America, Africa, but Europe not so much.
Interesting. I would have thought part availability in Europe would be good. Why would they be bad for Europe?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Everything is doable...but outside of Africa, I think it would get old very fast....slow, no a/c, noisy...it was used in the 80s because it was a good option back then.

To me, it would be worth it if it was 10000Euro, not 100k Euro...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Interesting. I would have thought part availability in Europe would be good. Why would they be bad for Europe?

I drove an older 1988 HJ75 TroopCarrier all over Africa for years. It was totally fine there, it's mostly flat and you don't need to drive very fast.

Once I got back through Turkey/Greece and into Italy, it was not fun at all. Way too slow to keep up with traffic on the (mostly toll) motorways, and going through the back roads take forever and ever. Got a flat in a tunnel in Greece and could not stop, with huge lorries behind me - pretty scary experience.
For Europe, it's best to have something a bit more modern I would think.

PB190187-M.jpg

Joe917

Explorer
Parts will be fine in Europe, you just won't want to drive it there. Many cities also restrict older diesels. For Europe get a small newer camper.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
With our 1120 AF my original goal was $100k for the completed build. We needed to DIY most of the build to get near this number. We are close, maybe just slightly over the 100k mark now. You know, another interesting option is to buy Joe917's truck, ready right now and a whole lot less work. I also agree about Europe, we traveled there by sailboat and rented cars as needed. Don't think I want to take our truck there, traffic would be a bit tight. When we get to that point I think a nice class b would be perfect.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I remember those beasts from the '70's all over Africa.

Another vote to buy Joe917's 917.

Attachments

• Bamenda Rain 73  005.jpg
    Bamenda Rain 73 005.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26

Neil

Observer
We have several friends who have converted these trucks into overland vehicles.

They are fantastic. Real head turners and very tough.

The only slight downside is they are noisey in the cab.

Neil

Last edited:

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
To me, it would be worth it if it was 10000Euro, not 100k Euro...

Google translate of the linked to OP advert;

"After 2 years of construction, we sell our "almost finished" travel truck. It is a Mercedes LA 1113 B (ex rescue vehicle), which we acquired as the second owner directly from the fire department in Recklinghausen (with 19,500 kilometers on the speedometer, original letter etc. is available). The truck has four-wheel drive ex works with reduction, power steering and 169 turbo horsepower. The case including the intermediate frame comes from a British Army DAF Leyland truck.

Only the installed material costs (including third-party wages) now amount to well over 100,000 euros (a precise list of all equipment and conversions on the vehicle with the prices are available on request). Not counting the 2,000 working hours of the past two years. Among other things, the engine and injection system on the vehicle were overhauled, a new turbocharger installed (wastegate loader with now over 200 hp), "fast axles" and a 12-speed split transmission from ZF (now driving at 85 km / h 1,800 revolutions). It would take too long to list all the fixtures in the case (the prices of the electrical components from Solara, Mastervolt, Honda, etc. alone amount to over 20,000 euros).

The current project status is likely to be 90%. The electrical system still has to be fully wired, the interior fittings finalized and a few small things to be done. It is probably best if we just make calls. "

So probably good value compared to buying all those bits yourself. I thinks it's fab assuming it was joined to the DAF body in a good way. The height and length isn't excessive, the wheelbase isn't huge, nothing looks overdone. You would have to be happy with someone elses ideas rather than your idea of perfection though!
:)

Europe is set up for the millions of 5.99m white camper boxes and travel in one of those would be easier. But there is no reason you couldn't be very happy touring Europe in something of that size even at the unimproved speed of the original, IMHO.

Wazak

I have always liked the older Mercedes rounded front trucks and looking for opinions on the feasibility of using one for lower budget (Less than $100K for the overland truck and finished cabin) overland travel starting in US, then S. America, and then Europe, etc.? For instance:

- Assuming they are pretty basic and reliable from a chassis and engine perspective?
- Part availability - especially US? Hard to get parts?
- Are they just too old to be practical? Similar to a Split window or Bay style VW bus... maybe cool but not a great option

I know they would be slow but I am not as concerned about that and in fact, that could be part of the charm. For example, a truck like this:

Keyne these trucks were built in Europe why would they not be suitable for Europe? Ok it might be a little slow but who cares?
Take a look on YouTube at videos of the Abenteurer and Alllrad show and Willy's Treffen and see how many are there.

Barry

Joe917

Explorer
They were built in Europe for a Europe of 50 years ago. Diesel vehicles, especially older ones are banned from many parts of Europe, especially big cities. These trucks are no longer suitable for Europe.

C p weinberger

Large trucks limit you no matter where you go. They are more problematic in some places more than others. In general, People who have not traveled abroad and only have USA as a reference (we are beyond lucky living in the USA for many reasons) may not truly appreciate how limiting a large vehicle can be when navigating in other countries. Keep in mind a basic ford 150 /GMC suv is already considered an enormous vehicle in many places. With that said Germany and The Netherlands both produce some of the largest expedition vehicles available on the market. But those big vehicles are not made for visiting Rome, you see them in the Sahara. A good frame of reference is; where do you want to specifically visit? How deep into the remote areas do you want to go? You can then do research to see what vehicles the locals have there. The roads will only accommodate the vehicles that drive there. It’s all about the busses and how locals get lifts. Take For example Central America, Main roads are ok quality, sometimes great sometimes very rough, but can easily take your big Benz. Turn off onto secondary roads, sometimes gravel, if larger busses still go there, you can take big benz, will be very rough and muddy sometimes but generally ok. Tertiary roads = No big busses, no big Benz. Local have switched to more economical small mini busses and pickups eventually to motorcycles. Biggest obstacle is bridges, weight.
You can always leave big Benz safely parked and use local transport to get to the remoter locations.
Speed/ power is an issue in the states not Europe, big trucks are often speed limited and An older Benz wasn’t made to go fast anyway. Driving fast in most developing countries is a great way to kill a pedestrian or die yourself in an avoidable car accident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz