Opinions on methods to carry 4 bikes on a 4Runner?

balexander87

Observer
Another pro of the 1up - it provides some decent protection in the event of minor accidents. Granted this may apply to most of these recommendations, but as of this afternoon, I can personally vouch for the 1up. See the damage to the vehicle that rear ended me. The rack got tweaked and pushed forward in the hitch until it just kissed the bumper cover. Overall, very impressed with the ruggedness.

Attachments

balexander87

Observer
The hitch did not move. The rack did get tweaked a little. Most of the movement was the rack sliding forward in the hitch. I usually set it up with about 1/4” of clearance when it’s folded up. It took that up plus a tiny bit more.

The rack is definitely tweaked, but all things considered, I’m happy if all I have to do is replace a rack and not have to deal with fixing the car. Honestly tho, the tweak is small enough I may just use it as is.

Attachments

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
Cool, sounds like you can salvage the 1Up. They sell individual parts so you might be able to just buy the center section and move all the other parts over. I probably wouldn't trust that weld in the main part anymore for sure.