Opinions on gobi rack for jlu

kdeleon

Observer
I have over 10,000 trail miles on my 2016 jku with gobi stealth. It's on a full 3.5 metalcloak lift 35" beadlocks. Full camp kitchen arb fridge and rtt...winch, pull pal, 10 gal fuel ,5 water. Full tool set. Co2 supply.. It definatly has a top heavy feeling to it...I pack the crap out of my jeep..I manage to crawl rocks in nor cal fairly well..it lost about 2-3 mph. Noise I didn't think bad for all the flat faced items..the space between the rack and hard top. Stores solar panels in travel bags.. I love my rack and jeep...a trailer would be awesome..I just hate pulling it through rocks..I've pulled a trailer through the rubi twice...sold trailer. I personally would rather have it all balanced as well as possible on the roof.. not any easy decision ahead of you...one size never fits all...

I second, one size never fits all. Really depends on what you want to do. Start with what you have and then you'll find out the kind of trips you actually want to do.

In my case, having a self-contained setup works at this point. Whenever i see pics of trailers with their tents setup, i feel like man, that seems pretty convenient. Then I realize the kinds of trips i do, we move around every day from site to site, that means dragging that trailer thru all sort of trails. I sure don't want to be dragging that trailer to places we've been. But like i said, that may not be the type of trips you see yourself doing. Maybe you guys want to find a nice site, setup base camp, and do your adventures from there, whether it's hiking, biking or off-roading. A trailer would be really nice in my opinion.

Jeepnick

Thanks for the replies guys
The rack showed up today
So I have a decision to make...

Attachments

• 4F7AA332-B9DA-4F44-998F-2CE9CDD6D593.jpeg
    4F7AA332-B9DA-4F44-998F-2CE9CDD6D593.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I love the rack on my JKU. Creeping up on 3.5 years and 60k miles. I didn’t note a measurable drop in mileage, and was surprised at how light it is. There are some things I plan to do differently when I build a new one this winter, but those are mostly custom configurations to match the way I use it.
In either event, you aren’t going to get better than used pricing now that you have it, so I suggest installing it for a few months and deciding for yourself. They sell quickly used.

Jeepnick

I love the rack on my JKU. Creeping up on 3.5 years and 60k miles. I didn’t note a measurable drop in mileage, and was surprised at how light it is. There are some things I plan to do differently when I build a new one this winter, but those are mostly custom configurations to match the way I use it.
In either event, you aren’t going to get better than used pricing now that you have it, so I suggest installing it for a few months and deciding for yourself. They sell quickly used.
Thanks
I installed it last night
So far so good
Soft top buffets alittle
Need to figure it a fix
Will probably just put the hard top on 2FADD8DD-E143-4858-B450-2C397111758C.jpeg2E37C7FA-28EB-4CAA-9FAF-17F17A462ACB.jpeg2E37C7FA-28EB-4CAA-9FAF-17F17A462ACB.jpeg

Attachments

• D18DEE34-35E1-465A-A3C7-21DF137AFD77.jpeg
    D18DEE34-35E1-465A-A3C7-21DF137AFD77.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Install the wind deflector and take time to tune it and it should help with the top buffeting. My deflector buzzed the first few times I tried to install. Stick with it and you will like it. Full disclosure though, I’ve only ever had a hard top on mine.

kdeleon

Observer
I've put some pool noodles in between rack and top to stop the flapping but to be honest i wont plan any long drives with it, just too loud. Great looking JL btw

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
2hibdxx.jpg

I just bought a Casita. We love it, but it only sleeps three. Winnebago makes a Windrop camper that has bunks in it. My friend has one he pulls with a stock JKUR and he likes it! He's all setup with a equalizer hitch. I've just done a brake controller, air bags and a sway bar for mine.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Dont have it for the JL yet but the Teraflex Nebo is very minimalistic, relatively aerodynamic and rated for 800 lbs static. Hardly know it is there when unloaded.

Need a hard top though. Sorry for the bike pic. only decent one of the rack on this PCHeckler1.jpg

American Jeeper

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum and this seems like a great community! I thought I would share that I am running a Maximus—3/Rhino Pioneer Rack on my Wrangler JLU. It’s pretty light with a low profile and has done the job well so far.

Attachments

• 8C66C240-8710-4E3C-BFEB-70B6B80CFEE0.jpeg
    8C66C240-8710-4E3C-BFEB-70B6B80CFEE0.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Knowing the pure quality of Gobi products from using one of their racks on my TJ for years, they are definitely one of the top roof rack manufacturers out there. Sturdy, great weight capacity, and just look great. Adds a great dimension to help store gear in different ways to help distribute weight and opens the opportunity to add on an awning, lighting, fuel storage, etc. I would say you have a made a great and smart purchase.

Because you have both the hard and soft top, I recommend buying and installing their quick release system. Makes folding the rack back and switching between the hard and soft top much easier.

I only have experience using a hardtop with my Gobi, partially because I am a lame Jeep owner who rarely removes the top and enjoys the extra sound reduction from the hardtop

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
I never understood why they didn't make it out of aluminum. I've driven Jeeps with racks and RTTs, and they basically remove the jeeps ability to be a jeep. Super unstable, and feel like they are going to tip over running over a pebble. Not for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne