The Gobi rack should arrive anytime now

I’m having second thoughts about the rack
Does it kill mpgs that bad? I’ve heard 1-4
I’m not thrilled about losing the sun rider ability of the top

Also my Jeep sags in the rear now when I’m loaded to camp
Bikes and gear

2.5 lift on 37’s

Anyway
I’m tempted to sell the gobi and tent and go camper(the jlu really limited camper options)
Or just go trailer and tent
Just looking for some opinions
Thanks Pic of jeep loaded up last time I camped 80D03F4F-1C4C-4B7A-A83A-ED626B1233A8.jpeg80D03F4F-1C4C-4B7A-A83A-ED626B1233A8.jpeg

Phaedrus

I have a Gobi Rack on my overlanding Jeep JKU. The rack itself is very strong but also very heavy. I have Rancho adjustable shocks on my Jeep and had to crank them up a couple of notches due to the extra weight and body roll associated with the Gobi rack. On a recent two day trip around the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP I loaded my rack with Two ARB awnings (one for shade and one for an ARB awning room). I also loaded it with three Rotopax cans for fuel and water. It was also loaded with a pair of Maxtrax. Without all of the camping gear stowed inside, the weight of these items, plus the weight of the Gobi rack, makes the Jeep feel like a top heavy pig. Even with the adjustable Rancho shocks, body roll is unacceptable to me.

And then there is the noise! I like to run with the freedom panels off and the rack, loaded or unloaded, is just too noisy for me.

I don’t care much about gas mileage, but I know that the Gobi rack had a big effect on that too.

In the final analysis, the Gobi rack is just too heavy. I’m struggling with options myself and will probably fabricate a lighter and more aerodynamic rack myself over the winter. I’ll be selling the Gobi rack soon.

Gobi.JPG

Jeepnick

Thanks for the response
I’ve heard about the wind noise

The weight is another story
Interested to see what you come up with custom wise

I have a Gobi Rack on my overlanding Jeep JKU. The rack itself is very strong but also very heavy. I have Rancho adjustable shocks on my Jeep and had to crank them up a couple of notches due to the extra weight and body roll associated with the Gobi rack. On a recent two day trip around the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP I loaded my rack with Two ARB awnings (one for shade and one for an ARB awning room). I also loaded it with three Rotopax cans for fuel and water. It was also loaded with a pair of Maxtrax. Without all of the camping gear stowed inside, the weight of these items, plus the weight of the Gobi rack, makes the Jeep feel like a top heavy pig. Even with the adjustable Rancho shocks, body roll is unacceptable to me.

And then there is the noise! I like to run with the freedom panels off and the rack, loaded or unloaded, is just too noisy for me.

I don’t care much about gas mileage, but I know that the Gobi rack had a big effect on that too.

In the final analysis, the Gobi rack is just too heavy. I’m struggling with options myself and will probably fabricate a lighter and more aerodynamic rack myself over the winter. I’ll be selling the Gobi rack soon.

View attachment 467229

slvyj

Observer
With that much stuff, I suggest you get a trailer. I have a Gobi rack and I love it but I'm finding as my family grows we are carrying more stuff. Our last trip, the rear end was sagging big time and was hitting the bump stops. I have an AEV 2.5 with 33's. My next purchase will be a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

uberhahn

Observer
Here is my 20K mile experience with the Gobi on a JKU. My JKU is a 2015, with a 3” Mopar lift, running on 285’s with a 6spd manual.

In terms of the rack itself, it is stout. And heavy. I never experienced any noise from the rack itself, and never worried about the amount of weight I stacked. From tents, kayaks, to duck boats, to heavy lumber. It handled it. Packing stuff on top required some effort, as if you’re packing heavy or bulky, be ready for a lot of overhead lifting.

MPG suffered, no doubt, more with a load. Normally 17.5mpg, down to 14-15 with just the rack. And yes, wind noise increased. I tried the wind deflector and didn’t like to look. It helped with the noise a little. Ultimately I took it off, and lived with the noise.

I sold the rack to a member on this forum. I didn’t end up using it as much as I thought, and I wanted to run the JK with the soft top. Though it is possible to do that with the Gobi, I wanted a cleaner line. Sometimes I still need the ability to carry, but I find a different way.

Bobzdar

Observer
I ordered a gobi stealth rack in March for my jlu
I already had a rtt from my tacoma I traded
The Gobi rack should arrive anytime now

I’m having second thoughts about the rack
Does it kill mpgs that bad? I’ve heard 1-4
I’m not thrilled about losing the sun rider ability of the top

Also my Jeep sags in the rear now when I’m loaded to camp
Bikes and gear

2.5 lift on 37’s

Anyway
I’m tempted to sell the gobi and tent and go camper(the jlu really limited camper options)
Or just go trailer and tent
Just looking for some opinions
Thanks Pic of jeep loaded up last time I camped

I plan to go to an Airstream BaseCamp at some point, probably when the kids are out of the house. Looking at what you're carrying, some more efficient storage/packing in the back of the Jeep to get rid of the hitch carrier, mount the bike to the spare (provided it's reinforced, if not use a hitch mount carrier for just the bike) and you should be a lot better off. Ditch that grill (if that's what's on the tent) and replace it with a campfire grill and camp stove with griddle, they're way more space efficient. The RTT is not a good match to a soft top Jeep imo. Even with the Rhino, it's going to be a major PITA to put the soft top up/down if you have the tent mounted. As in not worth it PITA. You'd be better off with a hardtop and bestop sunrider to open the front, which increases your roof rack options drastically, or a ground tent. A trailer to carry all the stuff might be worth it, but I'd have a hard time towing a trailer with an RTT when you can just tow an actual camper at that point.

There are a ton of storage options for the backs of Jeeps, which I think would solve half of your problems. The weight hanging off of the back like that acts as a lever with the rear axle as the fulcrum, just moving everything inside the Jeep would make a difference.

Jeepnick

I plan to go to an Airstream BaseCamp at some point, probably when the kids are out of the house. Looking at what you're carrying, some more efficient storage/packing in the back of the Jeep to get rid of the hitch carrier, mount the bike to the spare (provided it's reinforced, if not use a hitch mount carrier for just the bike) and you should be a lot better off. Ditch that grill (if that's what's on the tent) and replace it with a campfire grill and camp stove with griddle, they're way more space efficient. The RTT is not a good match to a soft top Jeep imo. Even with the Rhino, it's going to be a major PITA to put the soft top up/down if you have the tent mounted. As in not worth it PITA. You'd be better off with a hardtop and bestop sunrider to open the front, which increases your roof rack options drastically, or a ground tent. A trailer to carry all the stuff might be worth it, but I'd have a hard time towing a trailer with an RTT when you can just tow an actual camper at that point.

There are a ton of storage options for the backs of Jeeps, which I think would solve half of your problems. The weight hanging off of the back like that acts as a lever with the rear axle as the fulcrum, just moving everything inside the Jeep would make a difference.
That’s a 20x10 pop up on the carrier
The grill was a last min ad on cause a buddy called and asked me to bring it
And I have a mounted tool box in the back that takes up a ton of room
So I can lock my tools and my laptop up when I’m out with the top off or soft top on
That’s why the packing looks alittle disarray
I’m proabbly going to ditch the gobi and roof top tent and start looking harder at trailer options
Thanks for the .02
I love the Airstream Basecamp but I have 3 kids and she would kill me if I spent that much everyone couldn’t fit

Bobzdar

Observer
That’s a 20x10 pop up on the carrier
The grill was a last min ad on cause a buddy called and asked me to bring it
And I have a mounted tool box in the back that takes up a ton of room
So I can lock my tools and my laptop up when I’m out with the top off or soft top on
That’s why the packing looks alittle disarray
I’m proabbly going to ditch the gobi and roof top tent and start looking harder at trailer options
Thanks for the .02
I love the Airstream Basecamp but I have 3 kids and she would kill me if I spent that much everyone couldn’t fit

That's what the Annex is for :). I hear you though, that's why I'm waiting until the kids are out of the house. I have a full sized Airstream now that's perfect sized for the family, and it's an old one so light enough to tow with the JLUR. Not something I'd take off-road, though, where the BaseCamp could be.

You could put the RTT on a trailer, kind of a half way, but if you're going to tow something might as well make it a camper.

The humble receiver hitch rack gets poor reviews because of departure angle & cargo access. But they are REALLY cost effective and low drag. Ive moved mine (rack and basket like yours ) to the spare and am pretty happy with it as it solves the two main problems. Have a roof rack and seldom use it.

HAFICON

Adventurer
I have the Gobi Stealth bought it used, yes there is a drop in MPG, Yes there is some wind noise but I can live with it. I also had a trailer I pulled all over the Northeast I averaged about 9mpg for several thousand miles. With the trailer I really had no need for the rack, so I sold the trailer. I certainly miss the trailer but it was way way to heavy, I know cause I built it. I am now looking at other ways to make space, like dropping the massive Pelican 65qt cooler and doing an ARB fridge. Building overhead storage for radios and electronics, trying to maximize dead space. to allow for storage inside to eliminate the need for another trailer. If you are curious about how a trailer would affect your bottom line just go rent a U-haul for a day drag it around some see how power,MPG, Weight, ride quality is affected. Or borrow one from a friend, U-Haul will not rent to you unless you have a hard top just FYI.

Jeepnick

I have the Gobi Stealth bought it used, yes there is a drop in MPG, Yes there is some wind noise but I can live with it. I also had a trailer I pulled all over the Northeast I averaged about 9mpg for several thousand miles. With the trailer I really had no need for the rack, so I sold the trailer. I certainly miss the trailer but it was way way to heavy, I know cause I built it. I am now looking at other ways to make space, like dropping the massive Pelican 65qt cooler and doing an ARB fridge. Building overhead storage for radios and electronics, trying to maximize dead space. to allow for storage inside to eliminate the need for another trailer. If you are curious about how a trailer would affect your bottom line just go rent a U-haul for a day drag it around some see how power,MPG, Weight, ride quality is affected. Or borrow one from a friend, U-Haul will not rent to you unless you have a hard top just FYI.
I have a 2200lb car hauler for work I can tow around to see
I’m just turned off by the idea of the gobi rack lately
And got the itch for the trailer
Still researching and debating daily
What todo
What todo

Jeepnick

So...
I’m pretty close to ordering a trailer from vintagetrailerworks
Friday I got notification my gobi rack shipped
Ugh
Torn
Put the gobi rack on I already have the tent
Or buy a small trailer
Or sel the jlu when the Jeep truck comes out and buy a bigger camper to fit the whole family
I have 3 kids

Phaedrus

Sorry for your dilemma. There are no easy solutions. As I have already indicated, I think that the Gobi rack is way too heavy, noisy, and a drag on fuel economy. On the other hand I would also hate to drag a trailer into the country that I like to explore. For me the best solution would seem to be to go light and with minimal equipment. Not so easy to do with three kids, I know. If you do choose to mount the Gobi rack, remember that when you decide to sell it, it will be used. Good luck!

Jeepnick

Sorry for your dilemma. There are no easy solutions. As I have already indicated, I think that the Gobi rack is way too heavy, noisy, and a drag on fuel economy. On the other hand I would also hate to drag a trailer into the country that I like to explore. For me the best solution would seem to be to go light and with minimal equipment. Not so easy to do with three kids, I know. If you do choose to mount the Gobi rack, remember that when you decide to sell it, it will be used. Good luck!
Real world problems right? Lol

Pipeliner542

I have over 10,000 trail miles on my 2016 jku with gobi stealth. It's on a full 3.5 metalcloak lift 35" beadlocks. Full camp kitchen arb fridge and rtt...winch, pull pal, 10 gal fuel ,5 water. Full tool set. Co2 supply.. It definatly has a top heavy feeling to it...I pack the crap out of my jeep..I manage to crawl rocks in nor cal fairly well..it lost about 2-3 mph. Noise I didn't think bad for all the flat faced items..the space between the rack and hard top. Stores solar panels in travel bags.. I love my rack and jeep...a trailer would be awesome..I just hate pulling it through rocks..I've pulled a trailer through the rubi twice...sold trailer. I personally would rather have it all balanced as well as possible on the roof.. not any easy decision ahead of you...one size never fits all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94