Opinions: Frame recall

Ghostdog

Observer
I have been considering getting another Toyota 4wd vehicle for my daily driver/family hauler (three kids and a dog) and keeping the miles of the 80, saving it more for fly fishing/hunting trips etc.

Anyway, came across a nice looking Sequoia, modest miles, priced right but has had the frame replaced on recall (2003 model). Is having a vehicle with the replaced frame good, bad or in between?

theside00

Adventurer
It depends on why the frame was recalled and who replaced the frame. If it was just a weak point in the frame that didn't affect anything else and a toyota dealership replaced it then it should be fine.

If it was because a mount or crossmember mount or something else that would be putting stress on the engine/tranny/ xfer case causing excess wear and a little no name shop replaced it I would stay away.

Do you know why the frame was recalled?

Ghostdog

Observer
No. Assuming it was the rust issue. I have seen it mentioned on a couple vehicles and just didn't know what to make of it. This one was done at a dealer, purportedly.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Frames were recalled on these due to rust. Same as the Tacomas & Tundras. In Wisconsin id be more concerned if it hadnt been replaced. I would however get under it and check all the remaining hardware & suspension components. Very likely it may have new control arms as well. And new brake lines front to rear. I cant remember all the other components right off. But its a very substantial list of parts.

pirates712

My truck (2000 Tundra) had the frame, brake lines, and lower A-Arms replaced. Very happy with it. Check the rear diff for rust as well, mine had some pinholes that I had to weld up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94