Opinion on used Toyota Tundra

MTVR

This was another big factor I was considering, but I'm wondering if this is a concern with all modified trucks? If I bought a stock truck, modded it, then totaled it, you lose all the $ from the mods?

Bingo.

Unless your policy specifically states that it covers stuff like that, then your insurance company is under absolutely zero obligation to pay for it, regardless of what is told to you by the guy making a commission on selling you the policy.

MTVR

I expect the seller is putting extra value in the winch, bumper, tires, wheels, and lift/suspension, but I’m not really sure how much value those kind of aftermarket upgrades add to the vehicle.

That stuff adds zero to the value of the vehicle, except for the winch, which MAY add a little bit (but nothing compared to how much a winch actually costs).

MTVR

Still trying to figure out what is the most accurate price, but it does seem that some are selling for well above the KBB.

Yes. Some do sell for well above KBB valuations. Those buyers are called "suckers"...

tacollie

Glamper
I think you made a good choice passing on that truck. As someone who happily owns an 08' Tundra I regularly regret not looking at similar era Powerwagons. They have a shorter wheelbase, better payload, lockers, and similar mpgs. That being said I will keep my Tundra until 17+ F250 come down a little more. Even over GVWR it handles better than our Tacoma and is super comfy.

Slo_dak

As someone who happily owns an 08' Tundra I regularly regret not looking at similar era Powerwagons. They have a shorter wheelbase, better payload, lockers, and similar mpgs.

EDIT* Seems all Powerwagons come with lockers, something like this could be pretty nice.

Doing some research on them now.

Last edited:

MTVR

Another red flag. When they approve everyone, that usually means overpriced vehicles.

View attachment 591147

Yup.

GET APPROVED EVEN WITH:
✅ BANKRUPTCY, REPOSSESSIONS, FORECLOSURES, COLLECTIONS AND JUDGEMENTS - ALL OK!!
✅ PODEMOS FINANCIAR A CUALQUIERA! MATRICULAR/ PASSAPORTE / TAX ID/ ITINs # - ALL OK!!
✅SELF-EMPLOYED? PAID IN CASH? FIRST TIME BUYER? NO DRIVERS LICENSE? YOU WANT A CAR, WE'LL FIND A WAY!!

That's called "mudcat financing" in the industry, and it's all kinds of wrong. Most of the money they make is on the predatory financing- the vehicles they sell are simply an accessory to what should be a financial crime. They prey only on people stupid enough to fall for it.

Last edited:

al_burpe

Observer
I think you are going to find it a challenge to find a used Tundra anywhere near KBB value. It is called the Toyota tax for a reason. They hold their resale value much better than other brands. I have always shopped other brands for that reason, and it almost always costs more in repairs in the long run. I hope there is a good deal out for you though.

MTVR

I think you are going to find it a challenge to find a used Tundra anywhere near KBB value. It is called the Toyota tax for a reason. They hold their resale value much better than other brands.

KBB is reporting what people have actually paid for vehicles. If most people were actually paying more, that would cause the KBB valuation for that vehicle to be higher. If you pay more than a KBB valuation, you're paying more than most people did.

MTVR

I figure it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Yup. And KBB reports what lots of "someones" have actually paid. So if a $10,000 Tundra is worth $20,000 to you, then go for it. Just keep in mind that it's still only gonna be worth $10,000 to your bank, your insurance company, and almost anyone you try to sell it to later.

Suckers are free to be suckers if that's what they want to do, but when it comes time to sell it, the chances of a sucker finding another sucker is pretty slim.

phsycle

Adventurer
KBB is reporting what people have actually paid for vehicles. If most people were actually paying more, that would cause the KBB valuation for that vehicle to be higher. If you pay more than a KBB valuation, you're paying more than most people did.

Not necessarily. Most of my Toyota trucks I’ve sold have gone way more than KBB values. Some other cars were right on. Mixed bag.

Every time I look up KBB values, it’s like throwing a dart in the dark. Reasons for this is there are so many variables. Trucks from the northeast will sell for less. Lease or fleet vehicles, multiple owners, interior condition (owned by smokers or pet owners), etc will affect the value. KBB doesn’t/can’t account for that. Forget the rarity factor. I once had a car that was a limited production model (in the 1500 range). KBB said $X. I sold for more than 50% over.

It’s a gauge. Like Zillow. Algorithm consists of actual sales but doesn’t account for a lot of factors which affect value. Some pricing may be on target but I’ve found more often than not, they’re way off.

Doing my own research on current pricing on Craigslist, cargurus, autotrader, etc. gave me a better sense of market value.

MTVR

Not necessarily. Most of my Toyota trucks I’ve sold have gone way more than KBB values.

Then you're a used car salesman.

Every time I look up KBB values, it’s like throwing a dart in the dark. Reasons for this is there are so many variables. Trucks from the northeast will sell for less. Lease or fleet vehicles, multiple owners, interior condition (owned by smokers or pet owners), etc will affect the value. KBB doesn’t/can’t account for that. Forget the rarity factor. I once had a car that was a limited production model (in the 1500 range). KBB said $X. I sold for more than 50% over.

It’s a gauge. Like Zillow. Algorithm consists of actual sales but doesn’t account for a lot of factors which affect value. Some pricing may be on target but I’ve found more often than not, they’re way off.

You know as well as I do, that KBB factors for location, condition, mileage, and exact vehicle model/equipment.

Doing my own research on current pricing on Craigslist, cargurus, autotrader, etc. gave me a better sense of market value.

Asking prices have zero relationship to actual market value. I could list my Porsche convertible for one dollar or for a million dollars, but it's actual value would remain exactly the same.

phsycle

Adventurer
Then you're a used car salesman...

No, I’m not. But there is a reason why professionals in the industry do not use KBB.

Except for one time, years ago, when a small dealer offered me $5k for my 2001 Tacoma DC w 120k miles, stating that’s what KBB had it listed for. Showed me the print out. We had a good laugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior