Opinion on used Toyota Tundra

MTVR

KBB quotes retail, wholesale, and private party values. I was looking at the latter, because the OP is not buying from or selling to a dealer...

Last edited:

MTVR

There are several things going on here. You've got rip-off artists (individuals, curb stoners, and slimy used car lots) listing asking prices from another planet. You've got people who don't actually know what their vehicle is worth, seeing those asking prices and adopting them out of ignorance, because they haven't booked their own car. You've got internet fan-boys who aren't actually buying the vehicle, openly affirming these bogus asking prices on the internet. It's all a [edited - language], that has no basis in reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTVR

One of the often-overlooked risks of over-paying for a vehicle, is that if someone runs into it and totals it, the insurance company is only going to pay out what the vehicle is actually worth, not what you paid for it. So if you pay $20,000 for a vehicle that's only worth $10,000, and it gets totaled, the insurance company is only going to pay you $10,000, and you lose the other $10,000. It gets worse if the vehicle is financed, because the vehicle is the security on the loan, so if you somehow got a loan for $20,000 on a $10,000 vehicle and it gets totaled, the security on the loan (the car) no longer exists, and you owe ALL $20,000 to the bank right now.

rruff

Explorer
It's all a big [edited], that has no basis in reality.

You seem to be spinning lots of yarns based on nothing but a KBB number. If you wish to live in reality, you could easily make your case by doing what I suggested earlier. Find the OP a SR5+ 5.7L Tundra with ~100k miles and in good condition for $10k.

I *will* agree that the listed price of the truck in this thread is high, but not by that much.

Last edited by a moderator:

tacollie

Glamper
One of the often-overlooked risks of over-paying for a vehicle, is that if someone runs into it and totals it, the insurance company is only going to pay out what the vehicle is actually worth, not what you paid for it. So if you pay $20,000 for a vehicle that's only worth $10,000, and it gets totaled, the insurance company is only going to pay you $10,000, and you lose the other $10,000. It gets worse if the vehicle is financed, because the vehicle is the security on the loan, so if you somehow got a loan for $20,000 on a $10,000 vehicle and it gets totaled, the security on the loan (the car) no longer exists, and you owe ALL $20,000 to the bank right now.
This is true but KBB has nothing to do with the values. I had a bone stock base model 07 Tacoma that got totaled. They literally pulled comps off of Craigslist and cut us a check based on those values. KBB would have been much lower.

MTVR

You seem to be spinning lots of yarns based on nothing but a KBB number. If you wish to live in reality...

My reality is that I was born into the car business almost 60 years ago, where I had a long and successful career. I have been ranked easily within the top 1% in the nation, and have been appointed to the National Advisory Board of one of the largest auto makers on the planet.

But hey, what do I know...

Last edited:

MTVR

This is true but KBB has nothing to do with the values. I had a bone stock base model 07 Tacoma that got totaled. They literally pulled comps off of Craigslist and cut us a check based on those values. KBB would have been much lower.

That's not possible. Comps are reported sales prices, and Craigslist doesn't report sales prices.

For a vehicle that common, there's no reason they wouldn't have used KBB. The only time an insurance company would need to pull ACTUAL comps, would be in the case of something that has too few reported sales for KBB to have accurate data, like a Ferrari 250 GTO for example...

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
That's not possible. Comps are reported sales prices, and Craigslist doesn't report sales prices.

For a vehicle that common, there's no reason they wouldn't have used KBB. The only time an insurance company would need to pull ACTUAL comps, would be in the case of something that has too few reported sales for KBB to have accurate data, like a Ferrari 250 GTO for example...
That was my first hand experience. It was 5 years ago. The adjuster emailed the ads. I actually went and looked at the trucks and took photos of the ones that were best. He pulled them from the same and have is another $1100. I ended up buying one of the trucks as a replacement ?. Maybe the adjuster was lacking proper training. Maybe they felt bad for us for getting rear ended at a red light on a sunny day. That's the only time I've gone through that process so maybe it was fluke.

Slo_dak

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to pass on the car, mainly due to the price.

I am a bit curious about what a fair price for the vehicle would be. KBB was about 11-13k, while https://vincheck.info gave a price of 15.5k. It is also in Reno, right on the California border, which I understand is kind of a high price area for cars.

I found a few similar trucks for sale.

This 2007 Crewmax w/ 70k miles is listed for 20k, with Car Gurus saying 19k as a market value.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...Helper.selectedEntity=c9154#listing=273192532

KBB gives 11-14.5 as a fair market range, with 13 as a fair purchase price.
https://www.kbb.com/toyota/tundra-c...ileage=133028&pricetype=retail&condition=good

There is a 5k+ difference in fair market price from KBB and Car Gurus.

Some similar year stock tundras I found (all over 400 miles away from me)
are listed for 17.5, 21, and 16

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...Helper.selectedEntity=c9154#listing=269378461

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...Helper.selectedEntity=c3970#listing=272129885

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...Helper.selectedEntity=c9154#listing=273116666

And a lifted 2007 in Cali for 20k
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...Helper.selectedEntity=c9154#listing=272735928

Still trying to figure out what is the most accurate price, but it does seem that some are selling for well above the KBB.
I expect the seller is putting extra value in the winch, bumper, tires, wheels, and lift/suspension, but I’m not really sure how much value those kind of aftermarket upgrades add to the vehicle.

Slo_dak

This was another big factor I was considering, but I'm wondering if this is a concern with all modified trucks? If I bought a stock truck, modded it, then totaled it, you lose all the $ from the mods?

Slo_dak

Here is a 2012 with 80k miles for $20k.

Thanks for the link. I was mostly looking at older Tundras, I've heard good things about 2008 and older, but read reviews that the newer ones have kind of fallen behind F-150s and other competition. I was looking to put 20k into a nicer older one rather than a more stock newer one. Now I'm thinking of trying to spend more like 16 on an older Tundra, (though still open to other trucks), and save the extra for some upgrades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94