Opinion on used Toyota Tundra

Slo_dak

Hey All, first time poster so lmk if theres a better place for this. I'm wondering people's opinions (on the price and quality) about a used Toyota Tundra that I am going to checkout tomorrow afternoon and am interested in purchasing. Here is a link to the truck. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/171732900861440/?ref=messenger_banner

It has a variety of aftermarket upgrades, and I am taking it to a mechanic tomorrow, but I'm wondering about if people think the price is fair. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

rruff

Explorer
Couldn't see any details in the ad. Value will depend on the trim, condition, engine, and upgrade details. Spacer lifts are useless offroad, if that is your intended use.

My impression when looking for used Tundras 4 years ago was that they don't depreciate fast enough to make sense used, unless you are looking for a fancy trim level... and then maybe. Mine was $31.2k new, and I couldn't find any <$20k with <100k miles. IMO that isn't enough of a discount to forego the first 100k miles of the vehicle's life and the warranty.

D

Deleted member 9101

Probably a pavement queen that was not beat on off road...which is a good thing when buying it used.

Slo_dak

Thanks for the response. Don't have the $$/desire for a new truck, but its true that the used Toyotas are pretty pricey. Seems it has a Fabtech 6" lift w/ Fabtech coilovers and rearshocks. VIN says its an SR5 but it also appears to have the offroad trim. Is the spacer lift worse off-road than a factory setup? Would like to do some wheelin, but this is my first truck so probably mild to intermediate stuff to start out. Does the whole Fabtech system have to be replaced if I eventually wanted to switch to a coilover lift?

Slo_dak

It also doesn't have a rear dif locker, (I'm not sure if it theses Tundras have LSDs), but I also don't know how important a rear locker is needed vs carrying maxtrax and having a winch. Not expecting it to be too crazy, but I'd like to do some decent offroading, not sure if something like this will perform, or if I should be looking for a stock truck and getting a coilover done myself.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
It also doesn't have a rear dif locker, (I'm not sure if it theses Tundras have LSDs), but I also don't know how important a rear locker is needed vs carrying maxtrax and having a winch. Not expecting it to be too crazy, but I'd like to do some decent offroading, not sure if something like this will perform, or if I should be looking for a stock truck and getting a coilover done myself.

Tundra was never offered with a rear locker.

I think before you ask if this particular truck is worth the value, it sounds like you may want to do some more research on the model before committing some dollars.

I will say this... the towing mirrors are nice. Had them on my '15... love'd em.

Last edited:

Slo_dak

Tundra was never offered with a rear locker.

I think before you ask if this particular truck is worth the value, it sounds like you may want to do some more research on the model before committing some dollars.

Have seen there were no lockers like the tacoma, but I had read that there was an LSD? But upon reading a bit more (https://www.tundratalk.net/threads/limited-slip-differential.61863/) it seems that its just an open dif w/ some marketing.

I guess I'm fairly sure about a Tundra, want a ~100k mileage Toyota, and want the extra space and V8 for towing. The other major option I'm considering would be the DCLB Tacoma. What I don't really know is how much better the Tacoma would be off-road than the Tundra. I know the Taco would work better on some tight trails, but other than that don't really know the extent of how much better it is.

I'm also open to buying an aftermarket rear locking dif (like ARB) and installing it. The Tacos theoretically had DCLB w/ a locking dif, but I haven't seen many used DCLBs w/ the locking dif for sale (and I don't want access cab or short bed), so I'd probably have to add a locking dif to a Tacoma as well.

Slo_dak

A big question I have is what kind of Fabtech lift it is, as I can find kits ranging from 1000-4000k, and from spacers to coilovers. But I guess I'll probably have to see it in person to see what kind it is.

rruff

Explorer
Thanks for the response. Don't have the $$/desire for a new truck, but its true that the used Toyotas are pretty pricey. Seems it has a Fabtech 6" lift w/ Fabtech coilovers and rearshocks. VIN says its an SR5 but it also appears to have the offroad trim. Is the spacer lift worse off-road than a factory setup? Would like to do some wheelin, but this is my first truck so probably mild to intermediate stuff to start out. Does the whole Fabtech system have to be replaced if I eventually wanted to switch to a coilover lift?

That looks like a $4k lift with the shocks, so potentially decent. I'd suggest doing some research on the Fabtech shocks (feedback from other owners), and check to make sure they are working well and not leaking. If all is well, you should be in good shape. I personally wouldn't want a 6" lift since it's just for looks and increases your CG, lowers your mpg, makes it harder to climb in, etc... but it won't keep you from having fun on the trails.

SR5 is one step up from the lowest trim. Usually pretty decent spec. Check to see if it has the 38gal tank (vs 26gal); some do, some don't.

I don't think the Tacoma is any better off road unless you need the rear locker... and you can always put one on the Tundra if you feel the need. Might as well regear then also, and add bigger tires (what size does it come with?). The Tundra 5.7L has much more power than the Tacoma 4L or 3.5L.

Slo_dak

I don't think the Tacoma is any better off road unless you need the rear locker... and you can always put one on the Tundra if you feel the need. Might as well regear then also, and add bigger tires (what size does it come with?). The Tundra 5.7L has much more power than the Tacoma 4L or 3.5L.

Thanks for the info. It has 35 Toyo AT tires currently, says 90% tread.

Yeah, feeling pretty good about the 5.7, has an aftermarket exhaust and air intake, and seems like the owner took pretty good care of it.

wiggilez

That looks like a $4k lift with the shocks, so potentially decent. I'd suggest doing some research on the Fabtech shocks (feedback from other owners), and check to make sure they are working well and not leaking. If all is well, you should be in good shape. I personally wouldn't want a 6" lift since it's just for looks and increases your CG, lowers your mpg, makes it harder to climb in, etc... but it won't keep you from having fun on the trails.

SR5 is one step up from the lowest trim. Usually pretty decent spec. Check to see if it has the 38gal tank (vs 26gal); some do, some don't.

I've got the basic fabtech coilovers in my 1st gen, not the dirt logic ones, I have no issues with them, they are leaking, but the PO said he put the lift kit on back in 05/06 and he bought the truck new in 04 so they have almost the full 430 000 km on them, but they are still functioning normally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles