(Opinion) Buying a HDJ8X or not...

Chris1900

So to keep this as short as possible, I've been stalker you guys and soaking up the knowledge for a while now. Never needed to post/comment because most things have been discussed before. Currently I'm in the market for a reliable overlander and the LC is clearly a different beast over the competition so I'm pretty set on an LC. Currently I own an S2000 and a Discovery 2 and want to sell both for a solid LC that I can DD. This will be my only vehicle and I want this one to be an investment that i'm going to keep for a while (10+ years). I want your guys opinions on what I should do. I know ultimately is my choice but hearing different views is the best way to make a sound decision.

I want to import a 1990-1994 HDJ80 from Japan. The fact that I want a diesel might be swaying my decision but I want a diesel mainly because the MPG difference. The reliability and other aspects are amazing too but I 100% realize that the FZJ80 engine is an engineering marvel. If I'm going to be DDing this vehicle and going on long camping trips occasionally throughout the year, fuel economy has to play a major factor. I've read "the difference is like 12mpg in the FZJ vs 18mpg in the HDJ, who caresssss" on the threads before but calculate the difference in cost a year, the HDJ would save you roughly $1,000 in fuel. I know importing the car from Japan is going to cost more on top of the base vehicle price but I already mentioned that I was this for the foreseeable future so in 2-3 years I would be already saving even more money. I know diesel maintenance is more expensive and so are parts but if something is actually breaks on the FZJ or the HDJ, its going to cost you no matter what. My uncle also has a mechanic shop that I can use over weekends. I want to her your guys opinions. Also before anyone asks, I already spoke with Geico and told them everything, just to see if it was possible. After a decent wait I got confirmation that I could get a value based policy and once legally import would be treated as any normal car.

MTSN

Explorer
Does your calculation consider the premium in price of diesel over gas? Around here diesel is significantly more expensive than regular and even more expensive than premium gas. I thought I wanted a TDI A7 for a DD and then realized it really didn’t save much money over gas but did come with a lot of compromises.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a lot of time in both and both are great set ups. Go diesel if that what you want but I would not make a choice based on MPG. If you import spend the additional cost and get a left hand drive and be 30% safer than the cheapo driving a right hand drive.

C p weinberger

Cris 1900, i’ve also been thinking of swimming in these waters..
Has anybody imported a 25 yr + vehicle from Japan, I’m also considering a landcruiser diesel from Japan but was told duty and customs fees can be expensive without seeing actual numbers
Left hand drive cruiser diesel in good condition as imports? Rustfree? Unicorn..possible but very hard to find
Chris

Chris1900

MTSN, I actually had not until you mentioned it. Ive thought about it before but diesel is roughly 10 cents more than premium. I dont want to make the choice completely on MPG but aside from that, both the gas and Diesel engines are an engineering marvel. Another factor that I like is that I live in Nebraska so diesel is much more available in the extremely remote areas and how you can make biodiesel. Not saying im going to always be using or making biodiesel, just saying that it is a nice plus. Ive seen pretty good LCs going for good prices at Landcruisersdirect. I know importing an LC is more expensive but I want to talk to a reputable place for the importing and im sure they have a streamlined system that saves money on both sides. I just want to know ALL the facts, all the pros, all the cons, before contacting the and starting the search. If anyone has any arguments or wants to poop on my idea completely, by all means. All of this will help me in the long run so thank you guys.

Chris1900

I also decided that if the diesel JDM import doesn't work out, that im going to get a 100 series with as low miles as possible and maintenance records. Ive read from multiple threads that the 100 is a better DD and the engine is still phenomenal. I think im being too biased to the mpg of diesel vs gas and the extra uses of diesel vs gas.

Sedonut

Adventurer
I love diesels, but my RHD BJ44 diesel Landcrusiser is SLOW. Like 62 MPH top speed slow. It may go a little faster, but it won't be happy. That makes the RHD OK because you will never pass anyone. I imported it, being over 25years old it was cheap and easy. Beware if you live in California. Lots of rust on Japanese cars.

One of my favorite all time cars was a 100 series Landcruiser/Lexus. Only downside was 14 MPG on Premium, but worth it. Good luck finding a low mile one , check for complete service records and pay the premium for a super nice one. You won't be sorry.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Canadians and Aussies and Kiwis have been cherry picking the JDM 80s for more than a dozen years. It’s going to be tough to find a primo example unless you get really lucky, Do you know anyone over there, or are you going to use an auction broker / exporter? There are fees etc assuming you go that route.

I’m a huge fan of diesel 70s, 80s and 105s, but when you actually run the numbers, it makes more sense to just buy a clean southwestern LC. Unless you plan on doing serious off-roading, look at the 100 series as well. My UZJ100 gets 14 mpg with OME suspension and 255 Coopers. I’ve had no issues taking it anywhere “overlanding” (god I hate that word) folk would ever need to go, and up some atv trails they would never need to go on. You can run the 100 on 89 octane gas as well. Ours does it with absolutely no complaints when premium isn’t available.

Also, RHD isn’t very fun after the initial novelty wears off. Not sure if you are one of those folks who does the drive through everything, or has tollbooths on your drive, but it’s all things to think about. As this will be your primary vehicle, you need to also consider the possibility of a non NA dealer available part going out and waiting to have it shipped from Japan.

Edit: if you REALLY want a diesel, there is a BJ60 for sale near me for $2000. It has rust, but you could find a rust free FJ60 body and swap... Its left hand drive and a 5spd too. PM me if you want details.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I also decided that if the diesel JDM import doesn't work out, that im going to get a 100 series with as low miles as possible and maintenance records. Ive read from multiple threads that the 100 is a better DD and the engine is still phenomenal. I think im being too biased to the mpg of diesel vs gas and the extra uses of diesel vs gas.

Going to a 100 from a diesel 80 is a big jump across the fence. No where as robust as an 80 but an increatable road vehicle. The LX is a better driver and a much more quiet ride.

collk22

Observer
This is an easy decision for me personally - 100 series all the way.

1. As a DD, the 100 series will be more comfortable than an 80 series in just about every way - interior, ride, engine power, etc. I spend 99% of my time doing mundane ******** in the car so comfort is important. The 100 series offers more capability than my adventures require so I'm not 'losing' anything and I'm gaining a lot by going with a 100 series.

2. Ease of Maintenance - I don't have time to do anything beyond basic repairs and as a DD, vehicle downtime is a huge pain in the ass so the ability to take the truck to a shop that can quickly source parts and has the knowledge to repair the vehicle quickly is important to me. Knowledgeable mechanics and the ability to source parts could be made more challenging by going JDM. Plus the vehicles you're taking about are getting near the end of the traditional service life so you'll have to expect to start replacing worn out parts at some point.

3. Left Hand Drive vs RHD - no brainer; right hand drive in the US is going to be inconvenient and unsafe.

4. Gas vs Diesel - Gasser for me; there's no significant advantage to having a diesel engine based on my vehicle usage. The toyota 4.7L gasser is about as bulletproof of a motor as you can find, so the reliability argument is a wash.

It's your money so spend it how you want, but given the choice between a HDJ80 or 100 series I'm picking the 100 series every time.

Chris1900

You know honestly I didn’t think I could’ve been convinced otherwise but I think I’m leaning more towards the UZJ100 now. I know for a fact that I’m not going to be disappointed with ANY Land Cruiser but the whole diesel low end torque+fuel economy kept pushing me towards it but I will say that I do get free flights so flying to japan would be free and I could go pretty much anytime I’d like as long as I get that time off. I’m still going to keep looking into it but if I do go 100, will the Lexus 470 be alright when packed? I know the differences and how the 470 is the luxury 100 but usually luxury=weight. I do love the luxury and look more than the 100 though so if it’s a worthy vehicle than that’s probably the truck I’m looking to

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
You know honestly I didn’t think I could’ve been convinced otherwise but I think I’m leaning more towards the UZJ100 now. I know for a fact that I’m not going to be disappointed with ANY Land Cruiser but the whole diesel low end torque+fuel economy kept pushing me towards it but I will say that I do get free flights so flying to japan would be free and I could go pretty much anytime I’d like as long as I get that time off. I’m still going to keep looking into it but if I do go 100, will the Lexus 470 be alright when packed? I know the differences and how the 470 is the luxury 100 but usually luxury=weight. I do love the luxury and look more than the 100 though so if it’s a worthy vehicle than that’s probably the truck I’m looking to

If you are looking for a purpose built overlanding vehicle you may be challenged with LX AHC. With that said if you needs are also a DD then the AHC is easily workable if you educate yourself. Our LX470 is our travel and tow vehicle and if can do mild to wild and all the time being wife approved with a great quiet ride doing it all while looking good.

100 trailer.jpg

IMG_6778.JPG

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
No where as robust as an 80 but an increatable road vehicle.

You must be referring to a Camry? I’ve owned 8 different diesel and gas powered 40s, 60s, 80s and now a 100. I would take a 100 over all the others. They are every bit as robust as the others. Period.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
You must be referring to a Camry? I’ve owned 8 different diesel and gas powered 40s, 60s, 80s and now a 100. I would take a 100 over all the others. They are every bit as robust as the others. Period.

Like you I have owned them all and still own both (80&LX470) I will agree to disagree with you.:giggle:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier