Open letter to Mt Khakis

stainless

Observer
That sucks. I know how frustrating it is to have something you assume is good quality wear out sooner than you anticipated.
I have several pair of MK pants. They're my every day work pants and have been for a few years now. Mine are getting tattered at the cuff from being just a little too long, but all my pants are that way. The pockets, belt loops, crotch, etc are all holding up exceptionally well...MUCH better than any other khaki/chino pants I've had.
I'm a construction inspector, so I see a pretty even mix of office chair and construction site, but I'm seldom ever doing any down and dirty work in these pants.
I hope they offer to make it right for you.

I have Carhartt pants, overalls and coveralls in the closet that are going on 10 years old from when I was working in the ditches and some of them still look nearly new, but I've had more than a few pair that were toast after only a year of moderate use. I think there is truth to the "bad batch" comment above.

sasaholic

Adventurer
have had the same thing happen to all my carharrt jackets. now i wear schmidt jackets from tractor supply and at half the price and lasting just as long if not longer i will be sticking with them. work stuff is my work stuff and it gets used and used hard.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have Levis and Carhartts over 15 years old that show less wear..
I've been wearing Levis, Mountain Khakis, and other pants as long as anyone. I've never had a pair of Levis last more than 5 years.

Utimately, who has pants last more than a few years? How many years do you expect out of a pair of Mountain Khakis????

robert

Expedition Leader
Duluth Trading- this is the guarantee on their firehose pants:

"We Dare You to Wear 'Em Out" Guarantee
If your Duluth Trading Fire Hose Work Pants ever let you down, fray, tear, rip or give out, send them back to us. No questions asked, we’ll send you a brand spankin’ new pair, and the shipping’s on us.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/duluth-ingenuity/fire-hose-workwear/fire-hose-workwear.aspx

Cheaper than Mt Khakis and a gusseted crotch too.

Insert disclaimers here- no relationship, etc. just a satisfied customer.

c.nordstrom

World Traveller Extraordinaire
I'm here to chime in with my love of MK apparel. I'm a bit biased (I am an MK retailer) but they make quality products and have fantastic customer service.

Also, popularity does not always signal a bad or "fashionable" product. Sometimes the cream does manage to rise to the top. From a personal standpoint, I find MK pants to be much more comfortable then Carhartt.

Pant preference depends on what you like! Nothing wrong with not being an MK fan, but I have found them to be a very good company to deal with. Definitely give them a call.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Seems like typical wear to me???? If you don't like how they "wear" I would suggest trying an alternative...like many others have stated I have never been let down by my carharts...seem to wear much longer than any other pants I buy but I still see the same type of wear after long and hard usage...some love the MKs...IMO the MKs I have are cheap and thin...yes carharts are not as comfortable at first...I just broke in a new pair in the boundary waters this summer...took two straight weeks of living in them 24/7 and they are nice and soft

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Do you guys actually hike in heavy pants like Carhartts? I can understand wearing them for more sedentary camping in cooler weather or maybe when you're out wheeling, but I can't imagine doing anything active in them. I understand sometimes there's the need for really durable pants, but I just don't see that need too often when outdoors.

The reason I mention this is I saw a coworker wearing a pair of Mtn Khakis. They didn't look near as heavy duty as typical Carharrts, but they also looked a lot more comfortable. I would personally be far more likely wear something like Mtn Khakis for camping/hiking then I would Carharrts (and I regularly wear heavy work pants). Of course, I would also expect them to wear out sooner. I have a pair of very lightweight and very comfortable Columbia pants that I outdoors well before I wear my work pants.

I guess I'm thinking it's just different tools for different jobs. I'm not sure what Mtn Khaki promises in their advertising, but I'm wondering if maybe people are expecting too much. It's pretty hard to be super durable AND super comfortable. But then again, I understand if you're paying $70 you expect something more than jeans.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
After 4 years of use on 3 pairs of MK, wear has been pretty good. Its sizing that I have issue with MK about

Duluth trading products look pretty good, anyone know where they are made?

As for crotch wear thisdesign will never wear out :Wow1:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Do you guys actually hike in heavy pants like Carhartts?

I guess I'm thinking it's just different tools for different jobs. I'm not sure what Mtn Khaki promises in their advertising, but I'm wondering if maybe people are expecting too much. It's pretty hard to be super durable AND super comfortable. But then again, I understand if you're paying $70 you expect something more than jeans.

yes and yes...they are different products but one should not expect a comfy pair of MKs to last a lifetime...everthing has an expiration...

frederid

Observer
My $.02: I own several pairs of MK pants and shorts. The ONLY issue I've ever had with their product was with their jeans which were a very strange fit. MK typically runs small (I'm a 33 waist in every other brand, but a 36 in MK), and their jeans didn't fit properly and were cut very weird. I called them up and asked for a refund and they paid for shipping back immediately.

I wear MK pants usually every day over the weekend and when I'm out in the field. My oldest pair is at least two years old, and I haven't had the issues that the OP has had after ~2 years of more-or-less weekly wear. My only complaints about their products would be the strange sizing (but once you figure it out you're golden) and the fact that one can never seem to get the wrinkles out. But, other than that, I think the quality is great and customer service has always been good for me.

EDIT: I'm usually a lurker, so I realize it seems strange that this is my first post. But, I am in no way shape or form affiliated with MK other than being a member of their Pro program for being a US government employee.

c.nordstrom

World Traveller Extraordinaire
My $.02: I own several pairs of MK pants and shorts. The ONLY issue I've ever had with their product was with their jeans which were a very strange fit. MK typically runs small (I'm a 33 waist in every other brand, but a 36 in MK), and their jeans didn't fit properly and were cut very weird. I called them up and asked for a refund and they paid for shipping back immediately.

I wear MK pants usually every day over the weekend and when I'm out in the field. My oldest pair is at least two years old, and I haven't had the issues that the OP has had after ~2 years of more-or-less weekly wear. My only complaints about their products would be the strange sizing (but once you figure it out you're golden) and the fact that one can never seem to get the wrinkles out. But, other than that, I think the quality is great and customer service has always been good for me.

EDIT: I'm usually a lurker, so I realize it seems strange that this is my first post. But, I am in no way shape or form affiliated with MK other than being a member of their Pro program for being a US government employee.

I believe MK has changed the cut of their jeans - apparently the cut and fit of their jean was a source of constant complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles