Open Invite, Florence, 4/28-29th

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Last minute, I know...

Another forum I'm active on is doing an open invite trip to FJ this weekend! The WAZ crew will be mostly buggies and truggies, but all skill levels and vehicles are welcome. We'll split up into groups during the day to run appropriate trails then meet back up for campfire and BS at night. This crew is very friendly and low key.

Here's a link to the planning thread:
http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9327

We're going to be leaving camp at 8:30 on Saturday morning. If you come, bring firewood and be ready to see some carnage!
:tent:

Last edited:

erin

Explorer
Wish I could go, but for anyone interested, this is a great group of guys and gals I was fortunate to meet last year. Guess I'll have to wait for the next trip.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
I'm planning on leading a run on the more "normal" trails out there on Saturday, such as Martinez Canyon/Cabin, Upper/Lower Woodpecker, Box Canyon, etc. Not sure of the exact route yet. I was out there about a year ago with these guys. It sure is cool to see the truggies up close & in action. Lots of custom fab work -- and surely some trail repairs!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have met a couple of those guys....sorry to say I was simply not impressed by all of them. On the first trip, 2 of them were good guys, 2 were....uh.....yea. Nice enough...but they still didn't have control of their testosterone. But they managed to get across c-gap without breaking anything (which one claimed was the first time he has ever been with a group that achieved such a feat).

The second time I came across a group of them (a year after the first), they were all attitude. They expressed their extreme displeasure with the fact that a large group of fairly stock vehicles were "in their way". We made accomidations for them to get around us 3 times in one day...but clearly all of the worlds ills were our fault because we were "holding [them] up on *[their]* trail". (actual wording was closer to "we're tired of you *******ers being in our way all the time. Drive faster or get the ******* off of *our* trail")

Hopefully this isn't the predominant attitude among the group.

BogusBlake

You must be thinking of someone else. That's not at all the attitude of our crew. In fact, the core group of guys pride ourselves for the lack of attitude towards others we meet on the trail. The only things we would get pissed about is if someone stacks up an obstacle and doesn't unstack it afterward, stacks a bypass, or leaves a mess when they break on the trail.

I'm sorry you had that experience and felt the need to bring it up in a thread promoting an open invite run. Every group has a few bad apples.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
BogusBlake said:
Every group has a few bad apples.

Like I said, I hope that those are the guys I met. It has been several years since those incidents took place...the guys I met may not even be associated with Wheeling Arizona anymore. Groups tend to naturally weed themselves of people who differ significantly in core values. Hopefully this has happened with WAZ.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
After a couple of PM's, Blake and I figured out who I had the unfortunate encounters with...his impression of those individuals pretty much matches mine. Apparently these guys are not part of the core group at WheelingArizona.com, and no longer associate with the group.

So I guess my initial impressions are no longer valid. I'll have to check the group out again sometime (just not this weekend....I'll be on the "other" trip)

:smiley_drive:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Bummer to hear about your experience with those other folks, goodtimes. I've wheeled with this crew a few times, and they are a good group (despite the initial appearance of some of their rigs!). I won't be partaking in the rock crawling -- I'll leave that up to Blake. But for anyone else that wants to join me on some fun 3-4ish trails, let me know. My plan is to camp there Friday night, and head for the trails around 9am on Saturday morning.
goodtimes said:
Nice enough...but they still didn't have control of their testosterone.
I promise not too much testosterone! My wife will probably be driving half of the time!!
:rally_guys:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It happens. I'm glad to hear that the guys who formed my first impression have moved on to something else. I'd come up this weekend, but I will be joining Mark and a few others about a hundred miles south of FJ for a weekend of relaxing. Well, I'll be relaxing, he'll be riding his mountain bike in the mid 90* temps we are expecting....f'in weirdo.

:peepwall:

Besides, I was up there 2 weeks ago. Water was still running in Upper Ajax. It turned into a ass-kicker of a day.

BogusBlake

erin said:
Looks like it turned out pretty well. Did you get any non buggy types along at all?

Yeah, Jeremy came, but all the folks who said they wanted a moderate run punked out and made him wheel all by his lonesome. There were two guys who drove their Toyotas there and wheeled the first day with us. They got some body damage, but not too bad considering what we ran. There were also a couple built Jeeps that ran some trails with us.

Brian's buddy Sean showed up but was having steering problems, so he didn't get to run with us.

Here's a couple pictures:

Me on Axle Alley
t_dsc02475_208.jpg

The first group through Axle Alley
t_dsc02482_655.jpg

My buddy Dave squeezing through the gatekeeper on Bad Medicine
t_dsc02492_168.jpg

My buddy Pat on the Bad Medicine waterfall
t_dsc02507_139.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads