Open Differentials vs. Traction Control vs. Lockers

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I am sticking with the Dana 30, it was do to poor design on the part of ARB not because of the Dana 30. The new ARB has a lifetime warranty, or so I was told. In the past I ran 35s put I will be sticking with 33s.

Have you ever checked the bolts that hold the ring on? My understanding is that is where the fail happens. The Dana 44 and the new Dana 30 are built different. I am not sure about the ones for other axles and I am not sure how many different variations ARB diffs they have had for various axles over the years.

I have seen more than a few improperly installed ring and pinions; when I was doing a lot of R&P installs (started doing them in self defense because the local 4wd shop proved incompetent). Trying to remember but I thing the D30s had the small Ring gear bolts which should probably be replaced instead of re-used also proper bolt torque and locktite is a must.

The D30 is a fair design (the newer (post '95) ones with the larger axle joints are much better than the early ones.
The D30 ARB that I had was the "weak" 2 piece case design although it never failed (in spite of being abused for a decade with 35s and 14" wide boggers).
The last ARB, that I got, is a much stronger case design but a different animal (3 spider gears) because it went into a Ford 8.8 C clip axle in the DD Explorer.

In our group of wheeling friends when there is an axle problem it is normally the shaft, u joint or stub that fails...although one guy did manage to break the pinion shaft on a D44 rear (was a bit of a bear getting the vehicle out, after pulling the pinion, with only front wheel drive).

Enjoy!

MOguy

Explorer
I have seen more than a few improperly installed ring and pinions; when I was doing a lot of R&P installs (started doing them in self defense because the local 4wd shop proved incompetent). Trying to remember but I thing the D30s had the small Ring gear bolts which should probably be replaced instead of re-used also proper bolt torque and locktite is a must.

The D30 is a fair design (the newer (post '95) ones with the larger axle joints are much better than the early ones.
The D30 ARB that I had was the "weak" 2 piece case design although it never failed (in spite of being abused for a decade with 35s and 14" wide boggers).
The last ARB, that I got, is a much stronger case design but a different animal (3 spider gears) because it went into a Ford 8.8 C clip axle in the DD Explorer.

In our group of wheeling friends when there is an axle problem it is normally the shaft, u joint or stub that fails...although one guy did manage to break the pinion shaft on a D44 rear (was a bit of a bear getting the vehicle out, after pulling the pinion, with only front wheel drive).

Enjoy!
mine went 18 years before it failed, not sure if it was an install issue. I know the new one is a different design. I've replaced both axles with CV joints from a late 90s V8 Grand. I spread the ears on the stock shaft enough so the end caps with fall off the U-joints.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
mine went 18 years before it failed, not sure if it was an install issue. I know the new one is a different design. I've replaced both axles with CV joints from a late 90s V8 Grand. I spread the ears on the stock shaft enough so the end caps with fall off the U-joints.

Having OEM axle yokes cut to accept a full circle snap ring really helps retention. Most alloy shafts are cut this way also.
The newer Spicer 760X joints are a very good unit for the money ( with full circle clips I think they will fail an alloy 27 spline shaft first )

The grand CV shafts where never THAT strong in my experience, at least not in the donor vehicle.
I've helped swap more than a few even with 31-33" tire sizes.

MOguy

Explorer
Having OEM axle yokes cut to accept a full circle snap ring really helps retention. Most alloy shafts are cut this way also.
The newer Spicer 760X joints are a very good unit for the money ( with full circle clips I think they will fail an alloy 27 spline shaft first )

The grand CV shafts where never THAT strong in my experience, at least not in the donor vehicle.
I've helped swap more than a few even with 31-33" tire sizes.
I got the passenger side about 6-7 years ago, I needed a quick fix. The quick fixe was working so good I did it again about a year ago on the driver side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles