Open Carry in Wilderness Areas

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I can’t see being that concerned with an open carry in a “wilderness” area because, really, what’s the likelihood that you’re going to be running in to anyone? Its a wilderness area and should be very lightly traveled.

But still, keeping a sidearm holstered up high, inside your waist band (front or back) and keeping it covered with your shirt tail but still readily available, should take care of most of your concerns. And when you are approaching anyone, or being approached by anyone, just remember to keep that side of your body turned slightly away from them. Really, no one is going to be able to notice it then.

robert

Expedition Leader
A simple response is a lot more polite than saying yeah, I have no problem shooting someone who threatens me or those I care about with bodily harm. Once again, the folks I know who carry have thought about it and they're still carrying. I do know some that said they weren't sure they could kill another human and they choose not to carry; a couple of them have no problem hunting but have concerns about shooting someone. It's an individual choice that each person has to make and I won't fault someone for their decision either way. Work emergency services of any variety, corrections, really any part of the criminal justice system and you see the types of animals that are out there first hand.

Liberty entails responsibility, I'll leave it at that so as not to tread into politics.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
"If" I were going into the wilderness it would not be for purpose of hunting for trouble.
I think this topic has strayed a bit off , the question is, the way I understand, should I, could I, can I. Well, since humans are pretty defenseless against lions tigers and bears and the occasional bad guy I would think one would want to be prepared.
Not to hijack the thread but , how does someone defend their self when you're knowingly going into predatory country?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
(For the record, I support a CCW citizen as long as they are educated, informed, trained, prepared, mature and well equipped)

So what are you referring to?

CCW or open carry?

'cause at the end of the day a dead dude is a dead dude. So which would you rather be? The dead dude, or the one still standing with the chance to explain things?
And dont forget, ANY regulations for carry, regardless of CCW or open, is an infringement upon our 2A.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not to hijack the thread but , how does someone defend their self when you're knowingly going into predatory country?

I think that is why many simply have no clue as to the relevance of carrying in wilderness.

Everywhere is different. Some places are arguably 100% safe from 4-legged critters.
Others, you could argue is stupid for a person to even explore due to the inherent dangers.
In the middle, you have relatively safe areas, that do have large predators. North Idaho, for one, is that type of place.

We live in North Idaho. Whether it is an afternoon hike, or a multi-day backpacking trip, I carry.
There are risks, so I choose to be as prepared as I can justify. Its that simple.

Matt.H

Adventurer
Not to stir controversy but, do people really understand what it means to shoot someone and what happens next?

Yes. You will still be in shock, tunnel vision, your hearing will be messed up for a while and you stand a chance of being injured yourself.

However, if anyone can prepare you Andrew can. Read his blog, watch his youtube videos, buy his cds, follow his social media.
Or, buy his best selling book on the Law of Self Defense. He covers each state individually for their peculiarities.

He has called many national cases, in advance, correctly. Well worth it.

The first few minutes are worth it.

Matt.H

Adventurer
The second amendment protects your right to possess, not the right to be unsafe, careless, negligent or bankrupt your family due to a wrongful death lawsuit with it.

Just like the first amendment those are things you should do or you will suffer the consequences, some which are legal.

However, they are inalienable rights. This is a long thread, with some tangents, but how you go about it is a personal decision. The .gov should not be telling you when you are ready to exercise your, any, rights.

Matt

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
In general, both. Because if your not educated (safe use the weapon, how the weapon functions, proper operation and capability of the weapon, all applicable laws as it pertains to your situation, etc....), informed (current rules, laws, ramifications of deadly force, etc.),trained (function, malfunction, loading, unloading, safety, trigger control, site alignment, drawing, reholstering, tactics, cleaning, safe storage, etc....), prepared (situational awareness, threat assessment or not, personal prep, family prep, before/during and after contact, gunfight tactics, etc...), mature (your not wearing it in inappropriate places or times, pointing it, showing it off to impress or scare others) and well equipped (quality weapon, ammo, magazines, holster, carry system and supporting gear) what's the point of even carrying such a powerful tool?

I'm not a fan of "the ends justify the means" approach to carrying a weapon for personal protection. Proper training and understanding that you may have other options (tactics) may lead to a different outcome other then a "dead dude". The second amendment protects your right to possess, not the right to be unsafe,careless, negligent or bankrupt your family due to a wrongful death lawsuit with it.
After 30 years of protecting all those rights, I get it. But, also seeing the outcome of when a weapon isn't used properly I don't simply follow the same old "ends justify the means" arguments. Get educate, trained and understand the consequences of using that tool.

From where I'm sitting you are filling in blanks that are not even in this discussion/thread.
I've yet to see a response that reads as unaware to anything you mention.

Your simple assumption that this ignorance exists seems to fuel your rational for regulation.
That alone is a vary large part of the problem we have these days. The assumption of ignorance.

The problems simply do not arise from those that routinely carry.
Those of us that do, understand it all, and respect that it is the tool that we never want to use.
Some understand that more than others, but the understanding is there.

Personally, I'm not of fan of you or anyone else being bothered about MY reasoning to carry.
Its MY right, regardless of reasoning, and how you might feel about it.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Back to the original question , assuming you're going into the wilderness and want to carry, begs the question why?
Many respondents are assuming to carry automatically means you may have to shoot someone.
Well, if you're concerned about ramifications of your actions don't draw your weapon and let the cards fall where they may.
Let's assume you don't believe in the 2a and you venture out to unfamiliar country what types of protection for self defense would you choose?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This thread is about the four legged critters, too.
It can be a pretty significant legal issue if you have to kill a four legged critter, especially if they are a protected species. Imagine the media firestorm of someone protecting him or herself from a grizzly in Yellowstone. Even if it's not endangered a prosecutor might try to charge you with poaching (which is a felony now in some States for certain species, one of which is New Mexico that the OP mentioned) or illegal use of a firearm.

Mike W.

Oh my.......you really didn't read and understand my point(s) based on what was asked and the totality of carrying a weapon. Sad and certainly not worth my time to try. Be safe.
Problem isn't it wasn't read and understood. It was read and found ridiculous. Maybe taking the time to look at both sides of the issue would be a better use of your time. My or anyone else who chooses to protect themselves under our 2nd amendment right does so by choice. We understand the the responsibility the right carries with it..

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Oh my.......you really didn't read and understand my point(s) based on what was asked and the totality of carrying a weapon. Sad and certainly not worth my time to try. Be safe.

There you go again... assumptions....

Your simple assumption that this ignorance exists seems to fuel your rational for regulation.
That alone is a vary large part of the problem we have these days. The assumption of ignorance.

BTW, the moment you begin to judge me or anybody else based upon my choice to keep and bear arms, you have lost all credibility.

That is MY right to do so. And nobody, least of all somebody like yourself, has any business to say otherwise.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
might try? LOL. Dave, you know damn well how that movie ends....

Try for sure...

Results do vary however.

There was an encounter that lead to a dead bear (grizzly as I recall) a year or so ago up here.

Social media was quick to pounce on the one that put the bear down, and was eager to prosecute.
Luckily (for the family) the situation (as I recall) included a nuisance bear that was in the yard with the families kids.
Eminent threat was found to be unmistakable. Result was dead bear, and no prosecution.

Family still got drug thru the media and courts though..... terrible enough....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles