Ooni pizza ovens while camping?

jadmt

ignore button user
Any body use one of these. Was visiting my daughter this weekend and she bought an Ooni frya 12 wood pellet pizza oven and it made incredibly good pizza. Pizzas cook in a one minute and turned out perfect every time. Thinking of getting a gas powered one, for ease but the pellet one only took a 10 or 15 minutes to get to the perfect temp of like 710*.

spikemd

Explorer
Yes, we just used one in Baja. I have a snow peak double bbq box that I use the field oven on and it works great. Benefit of the ooni is propane vs snow peak charcoal but the ooni also got so hot, it was a challenge to control. With more practice, it will be great. Packs down to a decent size.

Fresh dough is the best. We like trader Joe's or Whole foods.

My snow peak
20190809_200519-1612x1209.jpg20200808_182630_copy_1209x1612.jpg

jadmt

ignore button user
Just looked them up on Amazon. Not real excited about spending over $500 for a pizza oven to take camping no matter what fuels it.
But for those that really gotta have pizza I guess any price is not too much.
$500? yikes my daughter said she paid $299.

St8ton

I've got one and love it. Super easy to setup and take down, uses the same pellets as my Traeger and makes a mean pizza. Is it necessary? Hell no. Is it fun to use and make pizza with? Hell yes.

Grassland

We make mini pizzas using naan as the crust in the propane BBQ when camping.
Going to look at this Ooni thing now

Any body use one of these. Was visiting my daughter this weekend and she bought an Ooni frya 12 wood pellet pizza oven and it made incredibly good pizza. Pizzas cook in a one minute and turned out perfect every time. Thinking of getting a gas powered one, for ease but the pellet one only took a 10 or 15 minutes to get to the perfect temp of like 710*.

The delivery driver at the store I work at just bought for camping, and he said he loves it. I personally can't bring myself to buy them but they are nice. He has had nothing but good times with it no issues.

Alloy

I’m going to try one of these @ $105 on a gas grill side burner with a few added fruit wood sticks for a bit’o'smoke:
We use the Camp Chef Grill Box as an oven/BBQ. We use a pizza plate and with the lid it works for smoking + 1 less item to carry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OTONA