Only (4) Options For Full Length JKU Roof Racks?

Vegas_Sirk

Hi Guys,

I was looking for a full-length roof rack for my JKU (From the front of the windshield to back window), and all I can seem to find were options from:

-Gobi
-Garvin
-AEV
-Front Runner

The AEV and Front Runner are both out IMO as I don't want to cut my hardtop and its a permanent mount.

I know BajaRack made some really nice ones a while back but it looks like they no longer offer them (removed from their site, but haven't been selling them for a while as I think there was a dispute over a patent with another company).

Anyone know of any others that Im missing?

jsek29

Observer
Kargo Master Safari makes one. http://kmsafaristore.com/

I’ve seen it and it seems pretty sturdy.

I have the Gobi and while sturdy, it moves around a lot due to the back being mounted to the frame while the rain front is mounted to the body. This has caused some denting on the rear quarter panel and onthe windscreen surround. It may be best to find one that either mounts to the body, or to body armor.

autism family travels

I have never heard of a gobi doing any damage to peoples rigs. Oh, there is another too, MBRP. Mark Dorian has that one on his JKU on JK-Forum. It's nice too!

kdeleon

Observer
I have a Gobi and can say I've used it quite a bit. You can get an upper accessory https://www.gobiracks.com/product/jeep-jk-rear-upper-isolators/ to reduce the swaying, especially when loaded heavy. I will likely get this accesory at some point, I have an RTT and generally carry a gas can and box or two and since the rear mount is on the frame, and the front is on the body, then there will be unavoidable shifting. I haven't had any denting issues but i did notice that new gobi rack has redesigned the front windshield mount. Mine has the ear that latches on the pillar and the new one doesn't have it anymore. I stopped using that ear, since the shifting started rubbing on the paint.

Another con i can say is that this particular design seems make the jeep even less aerodynamic. Which is a bit annoying when you have to drive far to your fun destinations.

With that said, it transforms the look of the Jeep which always bring a smile, so that alone is sometimes worth the hassle :)

Bobzdar

Observer
I really like the Rhino rack backbone setup - it requires hardtop modification but does not affect removing the top and would allow for a very low profile rack. I'm hoping they release a JL version soon.

MattJ

Adventurer
The benefit of cutting into your hardtop with a permanent mount is that it makes removal of the hardtop easier. I just hoist mine off with a couple Harbor Freight block-and-tackle hoists. Not sure if that would factor into your decision, but figured I'd mention it. Good luck with the decision. Lots of options out there!

I went with the shorter Maximus-3 rack so I can still remove the freedom panels when the hardtop is on.

y4m_gdAyWM25UTLmSEpUXGhzelTwF2-WwR1G4j7g24IwxfEIGQrXNfLcOjdCrun4J8T4Nc_te9ayUOYjyXm6CkreNk8YAXP5mniAWIdaxjxRJzUQlZhqZqIOW05hndwF3VIJcYChQnZ_XpMOTNTckEvDKOBtZK_HGfaqRvUo-5H4qd_-4QGzJ-QFlqUOYlIeuXRUWaLjikIwf5m-I52Vm_GCg

MattJ

Adventurer
I really like the Rhino rack backbone setup - it requires hardtop modification but does not affect removing the top and would allow for a very low profile rack. I'm hoping they release a JL version soon.

And yes - ultra-low profile was really important to me. I even modified my tent mounting system so it sits completely flush on the rack.

y4mNiJuvFRy_ZP7qCMAO5Vtajwl5D10sk7YZvCi0xyAUSXdpPzO-PietGUPOunopoISrAL2-l6sKE87nqJOPUKFMuyzECzjpBOT_CkT8ySCQq-yFDZim86L7vX1Rs8qEiVeEgijHaoSgWsbGz8OX6mZE6o7EeqIQk_WXXSDeAUx9yupwpzI8sYLKG7hqLmOntOXL4EJJAZbaNNeWP25YYGWsw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles