One Spice?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Being an Italian and if you restricted me to just one...hard to imagine...it would have to be garlic.

ruger1

Observer
McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning. It has coarse salt, black & red pepper, garlic & peprika. It's great on steaks, chicken, salads, cottage cheese, in chilli and even in dip. We take it everywhere.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning. It has coarse salt, black & red pepper, garlic & peprika. It's great on steaks, chicken, salads, cottage cheese, in chilli and even in dip. We take it everywhere.

that stuff is AWESOME.........especially on buffalo burgers

o0synge0o

Adventurer

Haha, yup! I beat you to it on the first page. I haven't found anything yet that it doesn't work well on!

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Kirklands "Organic No-Salt Seasoning" hands down takes the cake. It's got almost the entire spice rack and is great for everything from marinades to scrambled eggs, salads to barbecues.

4GRAINR

Adventurer
I have to agree with the few that said you can't take just one spice. What's the point of trying to limit yourself to just one seasoning? If we can lug our gear to there and back, a couple extra bottles of spices won't kill you. While I understand the original poster's intent of trying to determine the "best of the best", I don't think it can be done.

I travel with a full spice kit just like most people would have at home. Cooking on the trail or while traveling is one of the most important aspects of the trip so I go above and beyond to enhance that component of it. The use of local, fresh ingredients simply taste better when combined with a little of this or a little of that, not just xyz.

Just my .02 for what it is worth.

Cheers!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
What's the point of trying to limit yourself to just one seasoning?

I think most people have already agreed with you. Almost everyone has chosen a blend and not a particular spice.

4GRAINR

Adventurer
I think most people have already agreed with you. Almost everyone has chosen a blend and not a particular spice.

I guess the point, which I should have clarified further, is that even one blend probably won't do the trick for everything. For example, I probably wouldn't toss a seasoning salt on my eggs in the morning, but rather some basil, fresh ground black pepper or even red pepper flakes for an added kick.

There is a South African company called NoMU, which you can find at some Whole Foods or higher end grocery stores, that makes some excellent blends. They're not your typical seasoning salt blend, but rather different mixes for different types of flavor. Worth a look next time you're shopping.

ScoutII

Adventurer
I used to make up spice packets that contained a few spices, warp them up in foil and your set.

One spice, Italian seasoning. Ok its a mixture, but great on potatoes too.

TeriAnn

Explorer
In case of vampire attacks, I will be well protected. I'm already convinced that the only spice that The_Mrs. needs to cook a fabulous meal is garlic.

While I agree that garlic is THE essential ingredient for many dishes, my pantry holds a tad more. There was a time when I felt a good cook had to be an artist with spices and studied hard to know their affects on different foods. I created dishes whose taste was almost entirely based upon the seasoning combinations that I used. Then one day I realized that the foods themselves were mostly for looks and textures and I was depending upon the herbs & spices for the flavour. I'm sure this was the way to go in the days of very limited verity and questionable freshness of foods. One could easily hide meat that is past its prime with spices. But what about the natural flavours of fresh foods?

So I started learning how to cook all over again. This time learning the natural flavours of different fresh foods and how their flavours can combine.

A lot of people put salt or pepper on a plate full of food without tasting it first. I see it as an insult to the cook's choices of seasonings, so do not have seasonings on the table. a guest needs to taste for food first then, if desired, request the seasoning they wish to add.

Anyway, when my truck is out in the field, it ALWAYS contains whole garlic cloves, fresh onions, mushrooms, olive oil, ginger root, rice vinegar, malt vinegar, powdered cinnamon (for french toast), BBQ sauce, butter, mustard, Miracle whip light (for sandwiches), a block of aged Romano cheese (yes I carry a cheese grader) and soy sauce. And most of the time there is red wine that can be added to the food. If any of these run out I consider it essential to come in for resupply.

I save weight and bulk by minimizing "expo gadgets", NOT by minimizing food ingredients. A happy tummy is essential to having a happy traveler. :chef:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles