One Spice?

MuckSavage

Adventurer
Since space-saving is everything when packing, let's hear what that "One Spice" is that you can add to just about everything to improve flavor? I carry a bottle of seasoned salt in a pouch of my pack, but perhaps something a little healthier can be had? Mrs Dash? A homemade mixture?

Let's hear about that one-bottle wonder!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I think black pepper would be the winner. Or if you want to get fancy some garlic pepper or lemon pepper. Morton's season salt is always in my cabinet too.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
It would have to be either white pepper. black pepper, or red pepper. I do not think that salt is a "spice", it's an ingredient.

o0synge0o

Adventurer
dillo dust..

cant buy it.. It only comes with stuff purchased from LaRue Tactical...It is amazing.

AMEN!

"Blue's Hog" is somewhat similar as I recall, though the blend is different.

Otherwise, one that's readily available at Costco and seems to work on all meats and veggies too(even Ramen!) is "Montreal Steak Seasoning"

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I can't take minimalism to such an extreme as to limit myself to one spice. The weight and volume of space required to take a second or even fifth bottle of spice is IMHO a tiny investment for the amount comfort and enjoyment yeilded.

When I camp I am doing it for the enjoyment, not just to survive. It is very true of many of us that we are grossly over weight with gear and gadgets but there is a point of diminishing returns in the quest to lighten up. I can find other items to toss that will impact my enjoyment level much less than a few ounces of spices. Heck, I can keep my fuel tank at 7/8 instead of full, that will save me over 20lbs.

I am a big believer in moderation...in almost all things.

Last edited:

Explorer
I'm sorry, I can't take minimalism to such an extreme as to limit myself to one spice. The weight and volume of space required to take a second or even fifth bottle of spice is IMHO is a tiny investment for the amount comfort and enjoyment yeilded.

When I camp I am doing it for the enjoyment, not just to survive. It is very true of many of us that we are grossly over weight with gear and gadgets but there is a point of diminishing returns in the quest to lighten up. I can find other items to toss that will impact my enjoyment level much less than a few ounces of spices. Heck, I can keep my fuel tank at 7/8 instead of full, that will save me over 20lbs.

I am a big believer in moderation...in almost all things.

Agreed, I have one small container that dispenses 8 spices. Its half the size of a pop can. Glue the bottom of it to another one if you need more I guess.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
In case of vampire attacks, I will be well protected. I'm already convinced that the only spice that The_Mrs. needs to cook a fabulous meal is garlic.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I'm sorry, I can't take minimalism to such an extreme as to limit myself to one spice. The weight and volume of space required to take a second or even fifth bottle of spice is IMHO a tiny investment for the amount comfort and enjoyment yeilded.

X2

I measure everything out at home and place all of the dry ingredients (spices) into small Nalgene containers, one for each recipe.

Although this isn't a spice, it shows the type of container I use.
DSC_0002.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles