One Spice?

Since space-saving is everything when packing, let's hear what that "One Spice" is that you can add to just about everything to improve flavor? I carry a bottle of seasoned salt in a pouch of my pack, but perhaps something a little healthier can be had? Mrs Dash? A homemade mixture?

Let's hear about that one-bottle wonder!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I think black pepper would be the winner. Or if you want to get fancy some garlic pepper or lemon pepper. Morton's season salt is always in my cabinet too.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
It would have to be either white pepper. black pepper, or red pepper. I do not think that salt is a "spice", it's an ingredient.

dillo dust..

cant buy it.. It only comes with stuff purchased from LaRue Tactical...It is amazing.
AMEN!

"Blue's Hog" is somewhat similar as I recall, though the blend is different.

Otherwise, one that's readily available at Costco and seems to work on all meats and veggies too(even Ramen!) is "Montreal Steak Seasoning"

I'm sorry, I can't take minimalism to such an extreme as to limit myself to one spice. The weight and volume of space required to take a second or even fifth bottle of spice is IMHO a tiny investment for the amount comfort and enjoyment yeilded.

When I camp I am doing it for the enjoyment, not just to survive. It is very true of many of us that we are grossly over weight with gear and gadgets but there is a point of diminishing returns in the quest to lighten up. I can find other items to toss that will impact my enjoyment level much less than a few ounces of spices. Heck, I can keep my fuel tank at 7/8 instead of full, that will save me over 20lbs.

I am a big believer in moderation...in almost all things.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I can't take minimalism to such an extreme as to limit myself to one spice. The weight and volume of space required to take a second or even fifth bottle of spice is IMHO is a tiny investment for the amount comfort and enjoyment yeilded.

When I camp I am doing it for the enjoyment, not just to survive. It is very true of many of us that we are grossly over weight with gear and gadgets but there is a point of diminishing returns in the quest to lighten up. I can find other items to toss that will impact my enjoyment level much less than a few ounces of spices. Heck, I can keep my fuel tank at 7/8 instead of full, that will save me over 20lbs.

I am a big believer in moderation...in almost all things.
Agreed, I have one small container that dispenses 8 spices. Its half the size of a pop can. Glue the bottom of it to another one if you need more I guess.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
In case of vampire attacks, I will be well protected. I'm already convinced that the only spice that The_Mrs. needs to cook a fabulous meal is garlic.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I'm sorry, I can't take minimalism to such an extreme as to limit myself to one spice. The weight and volume of space required to take a second or even fifth bottle of spice is IMHO a tiny investment for the amount comfort and enjoyment yeilded.
X2

I measure everything out at home and place all of the dry ingredients (spices) into small Nalgene containers, one for each recipe.

Although this isn't a spice, it shows the type of container I use.