One more for today....F-250 to get MONSTER V-8 in 2020

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

I have a ‘17 F150 lariat supercrew fx4 w/ the 3.5EB, 6” lift on 35s. I love the truck, so much so, that my former DD 05 LJ Wrangler just sits in the garage. But eventually, I do want to upgrade to a SD as Id like to load my LJ and our offroad camper onto a flatbed trailer and haul them longer distance so I dont always have to offroad my truck and can enjoy my jeep.

Originally I was tempted with the Tremor package, but seeing how well the turbos perform out here at higher elevations in CO, Im hesitant to go with a gasser 7.3. Wife had the 3.0 ecodiesel in her Jeep GC and now has a GC w/ the 3.6 gas. Night and day difference and not even close and not enjoyable to tow our 3300 camper over the passes plus my truck gives wife and I and 2 large dogs more room in the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
“Ford doesn’t have to report fuel economy figures for these big, commercial trucks, despite the fact that many people drive F-250s and 350s for everyday use.”

Don’t have to....but, still, it’d be nice to know.

It's like the price of a yacht.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. ;)

Don't understand what the hubbub is about though. 7.3? GM had an 8.1 gasser in their 3/4 ton trucks for many years and Ford has had 7 liter + gas engines in many of their big trucks, so this doesn't really seem like much of a new development.

jadmt

ignore button user

Don't understand what the hubbub is about though. 7.3? GM had an 8.1 gasser in their 3/4 ton trucks for many years and Ford has had 7 liter + gas engines in many of their big trucks, so this doesn't really seem like much of a new development.
this 7.3L new engine compared to the 7.5L Ford is like comparing Alexandra Daddario to Whoopi Goldberg or Rosie Odonnel all are actresses but oh so different.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

For a Ford truck its a huge change as it is going back to stump pulling push-rod power, instead of high reving OHC gas engines that need RPM to produce good power.
Its been quite some time since a 3/4 or 1-ton Ford has had a pushrod engine. And there are many benefits to going (back) to pushrod.

BTW, the new 7.3 is said to have more than 100hp and 30-some more lb feet of torque than GM's old 8.1 Vortec,
The 8.1 was a damn good motor, but not without its problems.
They loved to drink oil, and if Ford's comment about MPG of the new 7.3/10-speed rings true (similar or better than the 6.2/6-speed),
then the Ford will have better than 8.1 power, with the same broad/flat torque band @ nearly twice the MPG.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

I had the 8.1 in my old malibu wakesetter boat and it was a beast chugging around the lake with all that ballast loaded down but like mentioned above, it wasn’t without its issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

“Ford doesn’t have to report fuel economy figures for these big, commercial trucks, despite the fact that many people drive F-250s and 350s for everyday use.”

Don’t have to....but, still, it’d be nice to know.

I read a few months ago that Ford said the 7.3 should have the same fuel economy as the 6.2 with a six speed.

D

Deleted member 9101

Uhhh...have you seen how it's built? The thing is a damn tank of a motor and is waaaaay underrated.

jadmt

ignore button user
I freely admit I am a fanboy, I know what I want and this looks to be it. Everybody has different tastes but F250/350 are my favorites and this engine looks to be the perfect engine for my intended uses.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
For a Ford truck its a huge change as it is going back to stump pulling push-rod power, instead of high reving OHC gas engines that need RPM to produce good power.
Its been quite some time since a 3/4 or 1-ton Ford has had a pushrod engine. And there are many benefits to going (back) to pushrod.

BTW, the new 7.3 is said to have more than 100hp and 30-some more lb feet of torque than GM's old 8.1 Vortec,
The 8.1 was a damn good motor, but not without its problems.
They loved to drink oil, and if Ford's comment about MPG of the new 7.3/10-speed rings true (similar or better than the 6.2/6-speed),
then the Ford will have better than 8.1 power, with the same broad/flat torque band @ nearly twice the MPG.

Nope. Check the bore stroke and cam profile. Not to mention the valve size.

It's an rpm screamer just like the 6.2l. Modern engines can harmlessly take advantage of rpm that previous engines couldn't. Long stroke engines like the 5.4l had massive torque, everyone here called them gutless. Let the trans make torque. Tape over the rpm gauge, and let the engine eat.

It'll waste the 8.1 though. The 8.1 was a low output tow beast. Very wheezy. But that's how work engines survived back then.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm just curious how well it will perform with a cam swap, head work, long tube headers, and 6-8 pounds of boost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz