One-Man RTT Mount / Dismount?

jaymar

Anyone care to share their technique? I have a rig that won't fit through the garage door with the tent in place. At the moment, I'm thinking to build a 4x4 frame, 8x8x8'. Wheel the tent out on a table, hoist it up (maybe on cargo straps), back the truck underneath and lower the tent. Not sure about the actual hoisting mechanism. Boat crank should make things easy though. Would be interested to see pix of your setup...

Last edited:

PackerBadger

Anyone care to share their technique? I have a rig that won't fit through the garage door with the tent in place. At the moment, I'm thinking to build a 4x4 frame, 8x8x8'. Wheel the tent out on a table, hoist it up (maybe on cargo straps), back the truck underneath and lower the tent. Not sure about the actual hoisting mechanism. Boat crank should make things easy though. Would be interested to see pix of your setup...
I am planning on a RTT next spring and will be in the same situation. am considering a similar frame in my backyard that i would back into and then remove tent. tent would stay outside and be sheltered. looking forward to seeing your solution. Please post pics when you art finished. Thanks and Good Luck.

jaymar

I went through a couple of different ideas, ramp, ladder used as ramp, hoisted to an a-frame…. Then I hit on the best one…

Leave it attached and park outside!
Yeah, well, it's my daily driver, and Beverly Hills is not my hood, so... :)

Last edited:

jaymar

I am planning on a RTT next spring and will be in the same situation. am considering a similar frame in my backyard that i would back into and then remove tent. tent would stay outside and be sheltered. looking forward to seeing your solution. Please post pics when you art finished. Thanks and Good Luck.
My thinking on this is evolving. Stay tuned... :)

LanceMagnum

I went through this last year - arrived at a simple solution of a frame where one side gets attached to the side of my roof rack and the opposite side goes to a block and tackle attached to the eve of my garage. I hoist up the frame so it's level with the roof rack, slide the tent onto it, then lower to garage side to the ground.

Inspired by this:

I also think using a drywall lift could work, but a bit more storage space when not in use.

PackerBadger

I went through this last year - arrived at a simple solution of a frame where one side gets attached to the side of my roof rack and the opposite side goes to a block and tackle attached to the eve of my garage. I hoist up the frame so it's level with the roof rack, slide the tent onto it, then lower to garage side to the ground.

Thanks for the idea. Not sure that is what i will do but its a possibility.

jaymar

Interesting, thanks for the video! Not sure my garage wall would take that. Any concerns about the weight on the smaller footprint of the ramp edge on the roof, even if temporarily?

greg.potter

Adventurer
I don't put mine on/off much - between once and three times per season. I just use an aluminum extension ladder leaned up against the rear side / back side of the rack. I have an elevated lawn area with a rock retaining wall against the drive that is a bit more than a meter above the drive. I back the Jeep up to the retaining wall which also reduces the height the RTT has to be lifted and the angle of the extension ladder. I push the RTT up the ladder till it tips over onto the rack, then lift the back end of the tent up so it's not dragging on the end of the ladder and push it the rest of the way onto the rack. Starting from an elevated position makes a huge difference - initially I was doing the same thing from ground level which was much more challenging.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Great idea, the Egyptian method! a couple of 2x4 or 2x6 would work as well with perhaps less inclination to scratch? (y)(y)

PackerBadger

Following this thread will likely be buying a RTT in the future. Wondering if there would be a problem storing the tent on its side on a custom made padded dolly? likely a Ikamper Skycamp mini or similar. Space is at premium in the garage. Thanks.

jaymar

Following this thread will likely be buying a RTT in the future. Wondering if there would be a problem storing the tent on its side on a custom made padded dolly? likely a Ikamper Skycamp mini or similar. Space is at premium in the garage. Thanks.
Wouldn't do it with a hardshell.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I've tried various methods of installing/removing it solo. Using a tree/pully/winch, ladders, a custom built wooden ramp, an A-frame gantry with block and tackle, etc. You name it I've tried it.

After all those tries, now I just call a friend to come over and help me lift it. Takes 5 minutes to put on an off, especially with the front runner quick release mounts. All those other methods took much longer once you factor in setup and takedown of the various contraptions.

jaymar

So, at first I was thinking to rig up some INDUSTRIAL SHELVING uprights and make a frame out of those, with maybe a shelf or two across the top, and cross-pieces on the ground for stability. Put it on wheels.

Or maybe do the same thing with PIPES...

Then I thought, SCAFFOLD! Baker-type, with wheels and outriggers, metal cross-braces on the ground. Use it in the garage or for work on the house when not doing the RTT thing. Then I looked at the prices. Yeah. Moving on...

Now I'm thinking, all I really need are two hangman-style POSTS, about eight feet apart. 4x4s or 6x6s, buried in the ground in concrete-filled holes. Possible sticking points:
They need to be really tall, say 10 feet plus whatever's underground so, 13-14 feet overall...
They'll need a considerable overhang, say 6 feet from end of corner brace to lifting point...
Need to hold say 300 pounds between them (actually more like 130, but let's be safe)...
And they absolutely, positively CANNOT fail and drop my JB on the driveway.

Does that sound doable/economical to those of you accustomed to building with wood? Or do the overhang and the weight kill it?

Or maybe find some scrap iron I-beams and have them welded--or would their own weight tend to tilt them out of the ground absent a large concrete pad (which is not happening)?

4059.THERRIEN-1989.018-700x875 reversed.jpg

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve done something similar using the steel gantry/a-frame that I pull engines with. There is a significant amount of height consumed in the rigging. You need to think about how to lower it to ground level safely too. It works, but what works better is giving a beer to a friend that helps lift something down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz