Onboard Spare parts when off-roading/overlanding with an LR4 / Discovery 4

Marine_Diesel

Ok, so the phrase overloading gets used to death, but its all in the mix with off-road use of these vehicles, don't torch me on the verbiage please. So, which spares, if any do you keep onboard when you take the Landy away from the blacktop?

I'm not talking spare tyres, oil or coolant, I'm referring to spare components, brake pedal switch, suspension height sensor etc.

I'm thinking of getting a list together and wanted to draw upon the wisdom and invaluable experience of this crowd.

For context I'm thinking of BLM land and forrest roads in the USA, not the Canning stock route.... but if anyone has done the canning with their Discovery 4 then please chime in :)

Stu.

gabrielef

Ok, so the phrase overloading gets used to death, but its all in the mix with off-road use of these vehicles, don't torch me on the verbiage please. So, which spares, if any do you keep onboard when you take the Landy away from the blacktop?

I'm not talking spare tyres, oil or coolant, I'm referring to spare components, brake pedal switch, suspension height sensor etc.

I'm thinking of getting a list together and wanted to draw upon the wisdom and invaluable experience of this crowd.

For context I'm thinking of BLM land and forrest roads in the USA, not the Canning stock route.... but if anyone has done the canning with their Discovery 4 then please chime in :)

Stu.

I don’t really take spares for my LR3 or LR4, but I am at the point where I would take a set of OEM height sensors. On a remote long term outing I might take one front and rear airbag (mine are fairly new as it is). Depending on when your water pump and thermostat housing was replaced, I’d take one along for a long adventure.

But honestly, these rigs are pretty darn dependable. You aren’t doing crazy trails so I wouldn’t take axles or pedal switches (I’ve never heard of those failing on our Disco’s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John R

In addition I’d consider also taking a brake pedal switch. Very recently I’ve heard of someone on AULRO having all sorts of suspension issues that was rectified by changing a faulty brake pedal switch. Apparently the brake pedal switch is used for multiple things in the D4.

gabrielef

Hadn’t heard about that. Is that one experience or a common occurrence lately?

John R

I’d personally never heard of it before but I’m only 1 1/2 - 2 years into the D4 having sold the D2. I like to keep an eye on issues that others have had so I have it in my memory bank in case I get the same.

Can’t quite remember which AULRO - D4 section thread out was in, but do remember reading about someone who was having random suspension issues that was fixed when he found the brake light not working and he replaced the brake light switch.

At the cost of a brake light switch I’m going to add one to my next order

alanymarce

Interesting list.

We now carry (not LR) nothing more than spare light bulbs and a spare fan belt, just in case.

gabrielef

Stu.

Also, I could see this list as a bit more extensive coming from older LR’s like the D1 or D2, or RR Classic, P38, or Defenders. But I’m pretty sure unless you’re in a looooong expedition-type trip, it’ll be a small list for the D3/4.

rgallant

Adventurer
Brake light switch & bulbs for certain it is a small cheap part that can cause weird stuff to happen.
Belts always

And from practical experience driving with LR4's good A/T tires, and a full sized spare. We had one fellow blow 2 full sized spares and 2 idiot spares, there was a lot to tire loaning going on that trip and that was largely on gravel FSR's. I will note it was just very bad luck, shale slices and the idiot spare even at very low speed could not stand up to rough gravel. Rough gravel being potholes and washboard at 15 km/hour, so slow my D2 speedo did not register.

He has since upgraded to a better tire and rim to suit.

tacocat

Also, I could see this list as a bit more extensive coming from older LR’s like the D1 or D2, or RR Classic, P38, or Defenders. But I’m pretty sure unless you’re in a looooong expedition-type trip, it’ll be a small list for the D3/4.

I don’t own a modern Disco, but I stayed at a Holiday in last night. I’d agree with this.

Since no one had mentioned it, these vehicles would seem to benefit greatly from a dual battery setup and a compact jump starter, like a NOCO.

mmbirtcher

Observer
Just back into an LR4 from an LX and a D2 in years past and definitely watching this for some good ideas. I did carry a tensioner, belts, a few hoses and coil on my “indestructible” LX. My immediate plan is some heavy prevention for the LR4 like new front hubs, rear crossover coolant manifold thingy and the brake lines are due per the maintenance schedule also. From what I’ve been reading these respond very well to solid preventative maintenance and lots of hugs ?

now, if I can prevent jerks from running into the LR in parking lots I’ll be super-happy :mad:

gabrielef

I don’t own a modern Disco, but I stayed at a Holiday in last night. I’d agree with this.

Since no one had mentioned it, these vehicles would seem to benefit greatly from a dual battery setup and a compact jump starter, like a NOCO.

I do run a dual battery (Traxide) and love that peace of mind. I also carry the compact jumper and regularly check it/charge it to make sure it’s fresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles