On the subject of windshield protection......

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Back to an old question I've had - is the design of the Aus windshield stone guards due to function, or legalities?

cantersilverstoneguardsunshadeproducts.jpg

Why not have the stone guard extend all the way to the top of the screen? Or are hits just not that common higher up?

Why are they curved, or even some that I've seen are almost baskets - why not flat?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't know about the legalities, but I am guessing that they are curved because, in general, being curved is normally stronger.

gait

Explorer
my observation of stones that try to hit Aus windscreens is that they bounce off the road and are generally traveling upwards when they hit.

blackduck

Explorer
bling wheels (4).jpg

I find they work well
if they dont stop em they at least slow em down
9 out of 10 items hit the wire so its a good investment
only had 1 chip repaired in 10 years on the road
the shape keeps them off the windscreen and give the wipers somewhere to work
the legalities, well you cant actually have anything that may impede forward vision
that includes tinting or curtains
if you look at the gap between stone guard and visor there really isnt that much of a gap

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I have a Mercedes 917, I have the same question. For me to get a replacement windshield would be nearly impossible. So keeping my glass intact is high on my list of priorities.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I have a Mercedes 917, I have the same question. For me to get a replacement windshield would be nearly impossible. So keeping my glass intact is high on my list of priorities.

The Mercedes dealers in the UK will have them on the shelf for sure, there's a lot of trucks with that cab still on the road. But shipping will be expensive I guess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles