On board air: Anyone running York or similar setup?

v_man

Explorer
I'm looking into running a York or Sanden compressor off my 22re in my 1990 'Runner . I don't have A/C so no problem running the compressor off the motor . From the research I've done , the biggest hurdle is fabbing a bracket to mount the compressor to the engine block . My query is : has anyone here done this? Is anyone running a York and if so , how much of a headache was it to get going ?

I'm still weighing the pro's and con's , but I love a good project . I've been hauling around a 20# Co2 tank for a few years but it's heavy , it takes up room inside , it's basically a bomb although I secure the hell out of it , and I need to refill it about every 3 off road trip (37" tires).

I'm not really interested in VIAIR or other such electric compressor , they just don't have the CFM's I'm looking for . Ideally I'd have the York filling a 5 gallon tank after it's all said and done .

Thoughts? 10 cfm sounds pretty nice :sombrero:

oba06.JPG

Last edited:

mike the welder

Adventurer
This is something I would also be interested in. It seems the 12 volt compressors have to be treated with kid gloves not to over heat them and the performance is directly proportional with price.

I think someone even sells a bracket to bolt it to your 22RE.

The biggest problem with running a your is the oiling. A/C systems have a lubricant in with the refrigerant so by just using it as an air pump, there's no lubrication. I know plenty of people who have run these and they are cool. You can even run a air impact if needed. But I also know that a couple people have burned them up because of lack of lubrication.

john doe

I have a 22re york bracket I can sell you. I never got around to installing it, then switched to a 3.4 so the bracket will no longer work for me.

MotoDave

Explorer
I think someone even sells a bracket to bolt it to your 22RE.

The biggest problem with running a your is the oiling. A/C systems have a lubricant in with the refrigerant so by just using it as an air pump, there's no lubrication. I know plenty of people who have run these and they are cool. You can even run a air impact if needed. But I also know that a couple people have burned them up because of lack of lubrication.

The reason York AC compressors are popular is they have a separate lubrication system, and don't rely on oil in the refrigerant.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
A buddy put together a York OBA setup on his TJ years ago. I forgot what car we pulled the compressor from, but he rebuilt it and ran it in addition to the factory a/c. It was cool but ultimate rarely used. I believe he told me that he wouldn't bother with it again for the hassle and the price of the brackets and used compressor etc. So I suppose it depends on whether or not you really need it or just have time and want to do it for the cool factor. Personally I haven't had problems with arb or similar compressors. Inexpensive, easy and have been reliable. I don't have air tools, but if I did I would use a compressor at home. For the rare occasional problem on the trail I don't see a huge gain to have the air tools personally. Cool, but a novelty for most. ;)

swashbuckler

Hooligan
This thread is relevant to my interests. Do the York compressors push any more air than any other factory AC? I don't have AC on my rig, but I have the old 22RE compressor still on the shelf and I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to finding and buying a York vs. using the compressor I have and finding and buying an oiling setup.

OSV

Adventurer
you don't need an oiling setup for the york, it has oil in the case, just like an internal combustion engine.

i got a used one, with the bracket, for $125 on craiglist a few years ago... the bracket broke after awhile, had to weld it up, but it's been indispensable for the 37's i'm running.

getting the correct belt size for it turned out to be a hassle.

BeratE

Observer
I run a york and am a big fan. I removed my AC because I never used it anyway. My engine is different as its a diesel so the mounting was pretty convenient. I have tied the intake directly after my filter so that I have clean already filtered air going in. My wiring harness had a rear defrost circuit already in, so I robbed that to control the compressor. Clean wiring with a toyota switch and relay ******! I love having unlimited air in such a convenient and robust package.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior