On and Off Off Road Trailer Build

Brianj5600

I am at a point that I can get 3 or 4 weeks off at a time and want to spend it in the wild. I have seen much of the country and that makes me want to see the rest! We spent quite a bit of time in Colorado when I was young, but we were somewhat limited where we could go by the vehicles we had. That is not a problem now and I am ready to see things that most won't.

I chose a box trailer with an RTT. The 2 things drove me crazy when roughing it were no showers and food in the water in the ice chest. Those 2 things will not be a problem. I have a 21 gallon water tank on demand warm water shower an a 12v fridge.

I bought most of my steel in late December 2019. The main frame is 2x3 11ga, .120" and everything above is 2x2 14ga, .075". The floor and front of the box is 16ga and the sides and roof are 20ga. I want to keep weight down so I am not using quite as much tubing as some.

The boxes outer dimensions are 48"x80"x35" so the actual will be 2" less each wall and roof. I came up with those numbers to fit the footprint of the RTT and keep the overall height one inch lower than the roof of the tow vehicle. It also has a small platform that is about 48"x22". I have most of it figured out, but a few thing I have not decided their home.

Suspension currently is leaf springs from a Chevy Colorado, Monroe trailer shocks and a 3500# Dexter axle with brakes controlled by a Tekonsha P3 brake controller.

Here are a few pics so far. The last picture shows the stove extension folded flat for storage and without the wood. The slide is 44" and about 1/2 way out in the picture. When the slide is all the way in it is very close to the water tank.

20190628_202943r.jpg

20190628_203214r.jpg

20190702_215338r.jpg

tlr_water_tnkr.jpg

trailer_4r.jpg

trailer_kitchenr.jpg

NYJeepGuy

Amazing, so far! I'm only in the planning stages of my squaredrop build.
Why did you choose a spring over axle for your trailer?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Brianj5600

Amazing, so far! I'm only in the planning stages of my squaredrop build.
Why did you choose a spring over axle for your trailer?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks, I have had the springs on top and on bottom. The springs seem a little soft and will end up over the axle or replaced. I won't know until it is finished and loaded. I have looked at airbags as a helper too. It might be nice to vary individual ride height similar to a Bruder.

NYJeepGuy

Thanks, I have had the springs on top and on bottom. The springs seem a little soft and will end up over the axle or replaced. I won't know until it is finished and loaded. I have looked at airbags as a helper too. It might be nice to vary individual ride height similar to a Bruder.
Thanks, I'm going to try and have mine level with my Jeep and use the same 5x4.5" bolt pattern. Can't wait to see more!

Looking good man, I'm in the middle of building mine also, looks like we had the same idea on suspension (although I went spring over, and added some load handling coil over shocks to help out)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior