OME vs ICON / Radflo

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I run OME HD springs and love them. Not as harsh as you'd think when dry and feel even better with a full load of gear.

That is definitely the key, getting the correct springs for your application. You can buy the best shocks in the world and with crap/wrong springs they do very little other than stop you from being a pogo stick. I sell most of the brands, King, Fox, Icon etc. and the one thing that Icon seems to excel at is valving. They seem to really dial in a compromise between on the road daily driver and great off-road performance.

CJustin7

Adventurer
I pieced my entire lift with the actual gear and armor load in mind..... So HD everything and some old ES9000 HD shocks (may end up changing those out down the road). I'll have 5-700lbs riding with me on trips. (once everything is actually put on and packed).
Like Ford guy said ...It's all about the purpose. Spend wisely my friend.

2000m2

Observer
Extra Weight: OME vs. Radflo 2.5"

I am researching the OME vs. Radlfo 2.5" setups and appreciate the prior input on this thread.

We (2 adults) are adding some weight to our 4th gen 4Runner in the form of a Frontrunner rack (70 lbs) and roof top tent (~120 lbs). Those items will likely be on the truck full time. This is in preparation for a tour of the western national parks this summer, so we will be loaded up with a few jerry cans, camping & recovery gear and two dogs (60lbs + 80lbs). We are planning on doing some of this on dirt/forest roads. The bumpers are stock and no winch, but we do have a massive Northstar battery now. Our current suspension setup is the Tacoma TRD swap up front and the FJ springs rear with the Tacoma TRD shocks. I was originally drawn to the Radflo 2.5" kit because of the larger diameter shocks with no remote reservoirs. The remote reservoirs seem like overkill for what we do. The OME kit with the sport shocks is also appealing since it's half the cost and folks always have great things to say about them.

Long way to ask for input on how concerned we should be about adding the extra weight? Should we be ok with the current set-up or is it worth upgrading to one of those kits?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Arctic Taco

Adventurer
I went with OME 883 w/ Bilstien 5100 on zero up front, just replaced the rear with OME CS046R w/D43XL aal, still undecided about what shocks, currently running some well worn Rancho shocks, but likely to replace them with Bilstiens as well. So far I love the ride and the stance, they've been sitting for a couple months with about 500-700# and still look good, doing some testing next month. I mostly just do longer backcountry trips, not much of a rock crawler/ or a desert basher. OME works for me simple and solid.
Besides they are trucks right?

Wasatch

Observer
Ran OME on a 07 RC Tacoma for 100k with no problems.

Now with an '13 AC Tacoma: OME Front (LR UCA) and Dakar's in the back (with Icon 2.5 Rem Res. shocks). The set-up is great, but the rear definitely out performs the front.

In the future, I may run a fancy high performing C/O in the summer and swap in my OME C/O's in the winter (it would be a bummer to rust out $1k+ C/O's in one winter). Also, having the OME's as an extra set would be nice when it's time for a rebuild (truck is a DD).

Along those lines, anyone running Icon's/fox/king's in an area that uses salt? How do they stand up to rusting and general wear through the winter?

Dalko43

Explorer
As cool as some of the ICON setup's sound/look, all of these positive reviews on the more basic OME setup is causing me to lean in that direction when I finally get around to upgrading my suspension.

Icon's reservoir shocks, adjustability, ect. sounds all well and good, but here in NY between the winter road salt and the fact that I'm dd'ing my rig 90% of the time, I just can't justify the extra $ for the Icon's. I need something that will give me a little extra performance for my weekend trips but something that won't crap out on me during my commutes....OME sounds like the best bang-for-your-buck in that department.

ghostmoney

Adventurer
I have Icons stage 5 kit on my 3rd gen 4runner and am very impressed with the ride over stock. I went with this kit because of the adjustability with the CDCV for hauling different loads. I was impressed enough with the suspension that I was going to order their best kit for my ford super duty, but after dealing with them and seeing their customer support I will be going a different route. So if customer service is important to you I would definitely not go with Icon.

NMBruce

Adventurer
question to you guys

for a GX470, this is for icon and radflo, almost everyone says to use the 2.5 shock up front because of the weight and some recommend the 2.5 in the rear, but many of the kits will have 2.0 in the rear, like the long travel kits on Metaltec, so are the 2.0 heavy duty enough for the GX470

photo nomad

Adventurer
question to you guys

for a GX470, this is for icon and radflo, almost everyone says to use the 2.5 shock up front because of the weight and some recommend the 2.5 in the rear, but many of the kits will have 2.0 in the rear, like the long travel kits on Metaltec, so are the 2.0 heavy duty enough for the GX470

Pay once cry once. Everyone I know with FJ's that started with 2.0 in the rear either wanted to upgrade or did upgrade. I personally run the Icon 2.5 rear w/ remote resi's and have had no problems with them.

WillBeck

Adventurer
I run 2.5" Kings all the way around. I would never run less for my needs.

The great thing about the high end shocks is that they're rebuildable. Essentially an unlimited lifetime.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Why rebuildable means good? How often I need to disassemble suspension and become carless?

That's a very hard question to answer.

ICON recommends every 1000 miles for people who are running their shocks HARD offroad. Like offroad racing hard. I have never heard of ANYONE doing this.

They recommend every 15000 miles for people who daily drive their vehicles, and hit the trails on the weekends. Again. I have never heard of anyone doing this.

My first set of ICON coilovers and shocks I had rebuilt at about 25,000 miles as preventative maintenance. Apparently the rears needed it (according to the shop that rebuilt them) but the fronts were fine. I would say 2000 miles of those 25000 were offroad, going pretty quick.

My current set of ICON coilovers and shocks have not been rebuilt and are at about 15,000 miles. I plan to rebuild them myself next time using one of the many videos on youtube as a guide. I plan to do it at 25,000 miles.

I have heard of many people who running their shocks for 50,000 miles or even more before rebuilding.

NMBruce

Adventurer
I talked to Icon and Radflo, Icon said about every 20-30K miles and Radflo said about every 40K or if need, like you see a leak.

I have decided that I will get Radflo, from the people I talked to they are a nice step up from Bilstien or OME and can be set at a full 3" of lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior