OME Nitro Shock

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
One would almost wonder if there is a quality control issue on these shocks from what I am reading. I still am inpressed with ARB's response. I hope this is not a major issue and is quickly resolved.

If there is an issue I'm suspecting its isolated, I often do a few pairs of the 90000's per week, installed on Taco's, FJC's and runners... I've not experienced the same symptoms. Keep us posted.

Xanti

I just put an ome lift on my truck about 2 weeks ago. I went with the 885's and installed the ome struts on the front like others in this thread. I to am experiencing the same harsh jolt that Frostymug is experiencing. I hope others that are having this problem will respond as well so we can see if it is flaw in the struts. Sounds like it may be. I will be contacting ARB this week. Thanks for starting this thread Gfiero.

upcountry

Explorer
Just curious- for the people who are experiencing the "jolt effect" described- after installing the lift and 885/886 coils, did you also put an extended bumlstop on the front as well? If no, the jolt effect may be the spring binding.

gfiero

Adventurer
I purchased the suspension in 07, these are replacement shocks, no problem until the replacement Nitros went on,

mbtytc07

Bumpstops should not cause any interference (unless they were to somehow contact the strut; then I'd be really worried) or have anything really to do with this as they come into play during compression (close to full stuff).

Those who have had a chance to experience th N140S strut the 9000's replaces may be able to weigh in on this - at least I'd lie to hear a little about that struts performance. Everyone who talks about ome suspension talks about the ride quality - I'm only seeing part of it. The rearend is great and I'm really happy without the weak leafs but the abruptness of the damping up front is disappointing. Again, I think i would take a bit of the wallow from the N140s over the 9000's attempt to shake my fenders off!

JSimmons

Casual Observer
Hi all. I'm a fairly infrequent poster here, more of a lurker but this topic is of interest to me. Just wondering if any of you with the ride quality issues had any resolution from ARB. Previously, I had an OME suspension on my old '97 Jeep TJ and it rode very smoothly. I'm thinking of installing a variant of the OME suspension on my '08 4Runner but am having second thoughts reading about some of the issues you guys are having. At least ARB seems to be handling the issue fairly professionally.

I have had OME products on a 98 tacoma and most recently a 2010 tacoma. I always attributed the feeling to the fact that our IFS has limited travel and when you put a taller, stiffer coil in the setup it is eating up a lot of the down travel out of the suspension. So when you go over a speed bump, which is usually slow, the springs dont compress so the already close to maxed out down travel suspension tops out and jolts. The coil is to stiff which is good and bad. It gives lift, allows heavier bumpers and winches, but if to stiff the coil wont compress very much under normal driving conditions which maxes out down travel resulting in a harsh ride "jolting."

I recommend a softer spring or heavier bumper and winch :smiley_drive:

mbtytc07

I have had OME products on a 98 tacoma and most recently a 2010 tacoma. I always attributed the feeling to the fact that our IFS has limited travel and when you put a taller, stiffer coil in the setup it is eating up a lot of the down travel out of the suspension. So when you go over a speed bump, which is usually slow, the springs dont compress so the already close to maxed out down travel suspension tops out and jolts. The coil is to stiff which is good and bad. It gives lift, allows heavier bumpers and winches, but if to stiff the coil wont compress very much under normal driving conditions which maxes out down travel resulting in a harsh ride "jolting."

I recommend a softer spring or heavier bumper and winch :smiley_drive:

Reviving this after a bit a hiatus.....

But would a heavier bumper/Winch (which would seem like what the 886 springs are for) cut into the lift you are trying to achieve with the 885 springs. I concede
that softer springs would be a better solution, but so would a strut that could control the springs rebound rate and control that "jolt". Could the Nitro sports be under preforming? If the n142s are described as wallowy then I would assume they would have more rebound damping and possibly less compression damping than the Nitro Sports?

EODTaco

Observer
I've got the same "jolt" problem on my truck. I've got the 140's (885 coils, top plate spacer, bumper, winch) so I don't think the problem is isolated to the Nitros. Other than the jolt the 140s seem to work just fine so I don't believe there is a problem with them.
I think expotaco is right about the amount of down travel available after the lift. I don't, however, want softer springs or a heavier bumper.
So...
A longer strut?
A stronger strut?
Ditch the top plate spacers and run 886s?
A solid axle swap?
Anybody got any new info or suggestions?

upcountry

Explorer
Funny, I was down at the ARB warehouse yesterday and noticed a fairly large quantity of used OME Yellow struts/shocks in the metal recycle bin. Makes me wonder if there was not some issue with these at some point in the production line???

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Curious about the "jolt" I definitely get the same thing on my 05 Tacoma. I've got 886's and the correct corresponding shock, and it's always been a fairly rough ride in the front. The back is super smooth (Also OME). After a recent Death Valley trip, I was getting a very loud and distinct clunk from the drivers side front strut. Upon inspection, I found that the rubber bushing on top of the mount that holds the strut onto the shock was non-existent. I repaired it as best I could in the field, and then replaced the bushing with an Autozone version as soon as I hit pavement. That bushing has since also worn through, and after further inspection, I found that the bolt that extends through the "top hat" piece (with the 3 mounting bolts that bolt the top of the strut to the welded assembly on the frame) was cutting it's way out of the hole in the center of the top hat, and had extended probably close to 1/2 of an inch toward the outboard side.

IMG_4292.jpg

I spent a few hours on the phone with Toyota here in town and Will at Sierra Expeditions about parts and whatnot, and finally ended up ordering the necessary OEM (Toyota) parts. A day or so later, the parts had arrived and were installed, feels just like it did before...kinda jolt-ish, but no large clunk noise. For everyone else that is experiencing this, take a close look at the top of the strut assembly to be sure that this isn't happening to you. I needed to use a small mirror to be able to see up in there. For reference, I've had my OME suspension on there for 2 and a half years.

Cheers,
West

mbtytc07

Again reviving this after a bit of a break...

So, I installed a set of light racing upper control arms this past April to deal with the camber issues the ome setup induces. Low and behold the jolt I have been experiencing is gone. I have read about the added droop these allow. I'd say they definitely help the ride and deal with the bang I was experiencing. Plus the truck seems more stable at speed- as attested on a trip thru some nv desert at high speed on the way to Cali this past June.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior