OME Coils

melotaco

Observer
I will be purchasing some OME coils for my 2001 Tacoma Reg. Cab. The pickup is stock and I'm just looking to get some lift (no more than 2"). So the questions is which coil should I get 880 or 881? If you have any experience or suggestions with OME please share.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
melotaco said:
I will be purchasing some OME coils for my 2001 Tacoma Reg. Cab. The pickup is stock and I'm just looking to get some lift (no more than 2"). So the questions is which coil should I get 880 or 881? If you have any experience or suggestions with OME please share.

If you have a dcab then you will want the 882 for shure. In fact if you are running anything with a v-6 I would go the 882. especially if you think you will ever upgrade the stock bumper or add a winch to the front.

If your long term plans do not include a winch or custom bumper then 881 will be ok for a reg or xcab.

The 880 is a stock hieght spring with a little higher rate I believe.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
OME lift numbers

melotaco said:

I am running OME 881 coils with one trim packer per side. I have a TJM T-17 bumper fitted with a Warn M8000 with synthetic line and fairlead as well as a dual battery set up under the hood. With all this, my front end sits about 1.5" over stock. This set up works well, but with all the added weight I want to go with Donahoe Coilovers eventually.

This info was posted by Hytenor over on TTORA and I found it to be pretty accurate.

Innitial lift can actually be more, especially on the 2.7s but the coils settle down rather quickly. The different trucks will NOT get the same amount of lift in the real world. A Dcab weighs quite a bit more than a reg cab so won't get nearly the same amount of lift using the same coils. rear figures are based on nothing in the bed and no camper top. Trim packers are 5mm giving approx. 10mm of extra lift or about 3/8" or less.

real world figures after settling are closer to:
6 Cylinder.......880.....881.....882..... 15A/B.....Trim Packer
Regular Cab.... .5"......2"........3+"........2-2.5"...... .375"
Extra Cab...... .5"....1.5".....2.5-2.75"..... 2-2.5"...... .375"
Double Cab..... .0".... 1-1.5".....2.5"....... 2-2.5"...... .375"

4 Cylinder...... 880...... 881...... 882...... 15A/B.....Trim Packer
Regular Cab..... 1"...... 2.5"...... 3.5"..... 2-2.5"..... .375"
Extra Cab....... .75".... 2" ...... 3.5"..... 2-2.5".... .375"
Double Cab...... .5"..... 2"..... 3" ...... 2-2.5"..... .375"

even these figures will varry with driving style, trail use, addition of winch/bumper, sliders, heavy under-carriage armor, etc.

Cheers :beer:,
P

melotaco

Observer
Excellent thank you guys for your input. I have also been on TTORA reading posts looking for the right coil. I think I will go with the 881s as it seems to be the best option. Also I'm just curious what suspension lift are you running on the back?

smbisig

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
If you have a dcab then you will want the 882 for shure. In fact if you are running anything with a v-6 I would go the 882. especially if you think you will ever upgrade the stock bumper or add a winch to the front.

If your long term plans do not include a winch or custom bumper then 881 will be ok for a reg or xcab.

The 880 is a stock hieght spring with a little higher rate I believe.

remember that the OME882 coil is not a Taco coil. That coil was designed for the Diesel Prado 90 series, a lot heavier vehicle. another thing, if you have any issues with the OME struts or OME 882 coils, ARB will more then likely deny your warranty because you are not using the OME882's in the correct application.

melotaco

Observer
7wt said:
What are you doing for shocks? OME or Bills?

I think that OME are going on the front and Bils on the back. I have not bought anything yet still going through posts to find the best combo. So if you have good experience with any of these products let me know so I can make a decesion faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94