OME “lean”

hovenator

Explorer
I recently (2 months ago) installed the full OME suspension kit on my 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro4x. While the front HD coils netted the exact same height on both sides, the rear MD springs did not. I have a (+) spring on the drivers side and a (-) spring on the passenger side which is the way I was informed on how to install them. It, however, has made the truck “lean” to the passenger side in the rear. It is roughly 3/4 - 1 inch lower than the drivers side. Is this normal? Can it be corrected? Am I crazy that it bothers me so much? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My OME Dakars on a Tacoma do it. My OME pre-Dakars on my old Toyota did it. On my Tacoma when I put in an extra leaf for the weight capacity the lean was better but I still about 1/2" difference side-to-side.

Point is it's not unusual to have some lean. Also realize that how you're loaded makes some difference. For example your fuel tank is on one side and the difference full to empty can be 125 to 150 lbs, which can cause a bit of lean since that's like a passenger.

Mine leans to driver, which is actually less better than your lean to passenger since yours'll level out some when you sit in the truck.

Last edited:

Toyaddict

What he said, I had to add an extra leaf front and rear on my passenger side to level my old toyota up even with the + leafs on that side. OME suggests this as the fix and also notes 1 extra leaf should not be a detriment to ride or handling.

hovenator

Explorer
Seems like OME has over thought this part of the suspension. I’ve never heard of making different spring rates for each side to compensate for something. I guess I’ll try and get ahold of another (+) spring and see if that corrects it......

Mo4130

Adventurer
Let me take some measurements on mine. I have never noticed that. That’s a bummer cause I know you have gone back and forth on this for a while?

colodak

Adventurer
I have OME MD springs on the rear of my Frontier, regularly carry 200 lbs in the back, only time I notice a difference in the springs is when it's off the ground at the tire shop, the right rear hangs lower than the left rear, apparently that's normal. If you have a spring shop near you, maybe have them look at it.

hovenator

Explorer
Not sure what the issue is. The place I ordered the springs from told me to put an add-a-leaf on the passenger side. Not gonna do that! Don’t want to put a “band aid” on it......I’ve been told it can be normal with OME.

DaveInDenver

Seems like OME has over thought this part of the suspension. I’ve never heard of making different spring rates for each side to compensate for something. I guess I’ll try and get ahold of another (+) spring and see if that corrects it......
It's not necessarily designed but a function of manufacturing. Once the springs are made they are checked for actual arch and maybe spring rate. OME then marks them according to being right at specification with a (0) or if they are taller they get a (+) or lower they get a (-) painted on them. The theory goes that if you put a taller spring on the driver side the truck will sit level with a lower or middle spec on the opposite side when the driver is seated.

Making leaf springs isn't an exact science, especially when you start putting 5, 6, 7 in the pack the variables stack (pun intended) up. So just because it starts taller doesn't mean once it's fully scragged in use that it was stay taller. My truck started with a (+) and a (-) in the suggested positions but I ended up swapping sides because the (-) actually held more lift after a few months. When I later added one leaf to each pack to increase their capacity the (+) pack eventually became the taller one again so I've swapped them back.

roving1

I feel your pain LOL.

What I found out after I put my OME leaf springs on the wrong side was this:

The + and - on the leafs do represent packs that are a little over or under target but there are actual different leaf part numbers for driver and passenger. Of course my negative leaf was the part number for the driver side so I stupidly listened to the internet and installed it on the wrong side and had a bad lean.

Cruiser outfitters I think has a pdf explaining this floating around the internet with the actual part numbers for driver and passenger side. Thanks bunches OME for your craptastic instructions. This info is not in the written instructions or the downloaded Instructions. I don't remember if the list was all Toyota parts or not. But it did explain its really common to have to switch leaf packs from side to side, even when installing the part on the correct side sometimes. So ultimately even knowing the correct side might not save you from a reinstall.

I was going to switch mine but my Dakar leafs have sagged so much over time I just never bothered. Sort of figured I might have to replace them or put small lift blocks in anyways eventually so I left it.

My OME lift was a disaster all around. 881 coils gave me a 1/2" lift after settling and 882 gave me a little over 3" lift and nuked my CV boots in like 150 miles and won't settle at all. Never could figure that out. I had Icons ordered that took like 2 months to ship so I still have not put them on yet.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

@roving1, that video is anecdotal. Are you sure the floor is level (it appears to be a shop or garage and they almost always have slope to drain standing water)? What about tire pressures and bumpers? Is the truck packed or empty? What about the fuel tank, full or empty?

Anyway, measure from the hub center to the fender lip on all four corners and see how much variation you get. Do the same at the dealership and next time you have some 4wd buddies around. You'll find every single truck will be a little different, even brand new on the lot. Check it with stuff in the truck, with it empty, with someone sitting in it.

If you're looking for perfect precision you're going to drive yourself crazy chasing an unattainable goal. Get it good enough and just use the thing.

roving1

@roving1, that video is anecdotal. Are you sure the floor is level (it appears to be a shop or garage and they almost always have slope to drain standing water)? What about tire pressures and bumpers? Is the truck packed or empty? What about the fuel tank, full or empty?

Anyway, measure from the hub center to the fender lip on all four corners and see how much variation you get. Do the same at the dealership and next time you have some 4wd buddies around. You'll find every single truck will be a little different, even brand new on the lot. Check it with stuff in the truck, with it empty, with someone sitting in it.

If you're looking for perfect precision you're going to drive yourself crazy chasing an unattainable goal. Get it good enough and just use the thing.

Give me a little credit man...Wasn't even shooting for perfect but a huge noticeable lean was obvious. As was the fact after 600 miles the front 881 coils had sagged to just 1/2-3/4" of lift. My truck is always loaded. The measurements were duplicated on several surfaces and with a tank 3/4 or more full. The video is just a fun visual I had measurements with 600 miles on the 881s and brand new 882s. The rear sagged massively after these measurements with more use and I have spring helpers on it now. They Dakars even with the extra leafs really are as terrible as some have said for sag. I thought I would be OK because I am not running a camper but I should have just had custom leaf springs made made. The sag overtook any concern about the lean as it was clear I was going to have to do something about that anyways.

I still have no idea what was up with the 881's even with a winch and bumper on a reg cab they should have netted me more lift. They spec'ed out right as far as wire thickness and length. All I can think is I got a bad set material-wise.

The 881s have 1 OME spacer and the 882s have 2 OME spacers on the LF and are still off which is kind of crazy considering the stock truck had no lean. But 1/4 is fine and is not the issue anymore, horrific CV angles and no down travel are.

881 Static
22.5 LF 23.5 RF

24 LR 25.75 RR

Full Droop
25 5/8 LF 25 3/4 RF

27 LR. 27 1/4 RR

882 coils full droop
25.75 LF 26. 1/ 8RF

27.25 LR 27. 25 RR

Static 882
LF 24.75 RF 25

LR 24.25 RR 24.75

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

@roving1 - Guess OME is just following the herd down poor quality control. Sucks. It IS odd that 881 vs 882 would have *that* much difference. Both are 500 lb/in springs but the 882 has two more coils and is 20mm taller. Very odd.

roving1

@roving1 - Guess OME is just following the herd down poor quality control. Sucks. It IS odd that 881 vs 882 would have *that* much difference. Both are 500 lb/in springs but the 882 has two more coils and is 20mm taller. Very odd.

Yeah the vendor was being really cool (Wheelers Off Road) and was going to let me return them and try to get with OME to figure it out but I ran out of time for a 6 month work trip to Mexico and had to just shelve the whole thing from a returning parts prospective. It really is a mystery. But I have probably 25 hours in to screwing with the front suspension and I am beyond over it. Coil overs better fix everything or I am going to SAS the damn thing at this point lol. Should have left the front end stock and had custom rear leafs made (as my OEM ones were toast even for light loads). Would have been all I needed probably and would have 6 more trips under my belt instead of constant part swapping and waiting for parts lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz