Oman & the UAE

cols110

Observer
G'day all,

We have been living in Dubai for over 8 years now & here are a few photos from some of our travels around Oman & the UAE, apart from one galley which is mainly of our old 110 Camel Trophy which we had when we were living in the UK.

If anyone wants any info on any particular gallery let me know & I will provide some details of the trip.

http://cdr.smugmug.com/Off-Road

paj54

Observer
We lived in Abudhabi for a number of years and travelled extensively throughout Oman. Beautiful country and wonderful people. The Musandam Peninsula was just opened up to travellers and the town of Khasab was a tiny fishing and smuggling village. Now I understand it is a major tourist destination. Great memories.

cols110

Observer
No doubt both the UAE & Oman has changed considerable since you were here.

Oman still has a lot of unspoilt places but over the last few years they have spent a lot of money on roads & infrastructure, great for the locals & economy but it is the beginning of the end of some of the out of way un-visited unspoilt places. Thats progress I guess.

lightning60

Here are a few photos from a 3 day trip up onto Jebel Akhdar late August to beat the heat and to try out my Wife's new Land Cruiser.

It is my 3rd time up there and I still haven't explored all of the different tracks but I am getting close.

It is a perfect place to escape the heat in Summer by camping between 6500 & 7800 feet.

https://cdr.smugmug.com/Off-Road/Jebel-Akhdar-August-2016/

Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing!

cols110

Observer
Here is a short clip of some flash flooding in a Wadi near Masafi in the UAE, it is about an hours drive from Dubai in the mountains over towards the East Coast. This occurred around 5-10 minutes from the first drops of rain, in another 5 minutes the road would have been impassable. It was a great sight with waterfalls all around us but sadly I didn't have time to stop and get many photos. You regularly hear about the flash flooding in the mountains over here but rarely get to see it, it was a great sight and the first time seeing the rising flood waters first hand in almost 11 years of regular off roading over this way.

Commentary by my 6 year old son who was having a ball.

https://cdr.smugmug.com/Off-Road/Wadi-Shawka1-Flash-Flooding/i-JRLkGMF/A

whitenoise

Adventurer
Thank you for sharing. Sent you a PM a couple weeks ago requesting some information, I'd appreciate it if you can respond.

cols110

Observer
Last October/November I ran a 9 day trip circumnavigating most of Oman in a 4000km trip.

We followed the Oman Saudi border down to within 10km of the Yemen border through the Rub Al Khali where we completed the desert section by climbing Ramlet Jadilah which has now recently been recognised as the worlds highest sand dune. I cannot confirm if it actually is.

We then loosely followed the Yemen border to the coast and followed the coast road most of the way home but sadly missed completing the full loop of Oman as we lost a day during the trip and had to cut the last section short and missed crossing the Wahiba Sand and following the coast road back to Dubai.

Either way it was a great trip covering a lot of ground I had previously driven but was able to see again and fit in some new places which I hadn’t yet explored.

https://cdr.smugmug.com/Off-Road/Rub-Al-Khali-Ramlet-Jadilah

CascadesTacoma

Great pictures! I live in Oman right now and have driven quite a bit of the same route, minus the saudi border portion. I made some excursions off the highway into the Empty Quarter between Thumrayt and Hayma but that's about it.

Still need to make it up to Musandum. Great to see a G55 getting used to its true extent.

cols110

Observer
Oman is a great part of the world to travel.

I can't recommend highly enough getting into the Rub Al Khali, it is easy enough even with a single car if you play it safe and go via Ubar, refuel there an keep following the road & track west until it heads into the dunes, you can follow this sand track most of the way up to the Saudi Border. You will pass the green truck in the photos, we crossed the track at this point and went cross country to Ramlet Jadilah.

Just take all the usual precautions and carry basic recovery gear, compressor etc. There are a few car travelling on this track most days so you will be fine by yourself if need be and a Military Base near where you enter the dunes.

Its a shame more people don't use their G Wagons offroad as they are great trucks.

You also need to make the effort to get up to Musandam it is a huge contrast to the rest of Oman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles