OldSven's 4Runner

laxtoy

Adventurer
keeping the stock wheels? i vote 255's! just a question for you, would you not consider running bighorns again in either 255's or 285's?

OldSven

Explorer
keeping the stock wheels? i vote 255's! just a question for you, would you not consider running bighorns again in either 255's or 285's?

The Maxxis were awsome tires, I have a 33x10.5 BFG KM2 and they just look cool. I am keeping the stock 16's in hopes of doing the Tundra brake upgrade when the stock ones are due.

OldSven

Explorer
So I'm browsing rear suspension setup's out there and looks like the two options for my rig would be some OME 892 Coils and some OME N86 shocks from wheelers, or the 1.2 setup from Sonoran Steel. Any 4runner guys have any thoughts or opinions on these setups? I will be running a swingout, fridge, drawer system, and other goodies so weight is a factor. Wheelers said that the OME's would work great for this but I have heard that the LC coils work well with weight but give you almost 4" of lift back there which is alittle to high.

slomatt

Adventurer
So I'm browsing rear suspension setup's out there and looks like the two options for my rig would be some OME 892 Coils and some OME N86 shocks from wheelers, or the 1.2 setup from Sonoran Steel. Any 4runner guys have any thoughts or opinions on these setups? I will be running a swingout, fridge, drawer system, and other goodies so weight is a factor. Wheelers said that the OME's would work great for this but I have heard that the LC coils work well with weight but give you almost 4" of lift back there which is alittle to high.

I put the SS 1.2 lift on my 4runner earlier this year and have been very happy with it. With any significant lift on the rear 5 link suspension the axle starts shifting to the side and in my own opinion it is important to correct for this by lengthening the trackbar. The SS adjustable trackbar is a nice piece, and gives me peace of mind (there's some homonyms for ya).

My 4runner is still being built and at this point I do not have enough weight in the rear which results in a slightly bouncy ride an a very tall ride height. When loaded down for camping it rides smoothly. Once I get my rock sliders and storage setup in place it should be fine even without load. It sounds like you will have more than enough weight in the back to put the proper load on the rear springs.

Even with weight in the rear the LC coils are pretty tall. Here's a picture of my truck unloaded, please note that this is without my sliders or sleeping platform so this is "as tall as it gets".

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/t4r_misc/eIMG_1026
(photo is a bit huge to put inline, click to view)

- Matt

OldSven

Explorer
That's not as bad as I thought it would be just alittle raked. Thanks for the advice with the track bar though, I will have to look into that.

CYi5

Explorer
i'll be picking up a set of 235/85 KM2's next week on 07 TRD tacoma rims. As far as the rear, i'm running the 890 coils and N86C shocks. They sagged out pretty quickly even with trim packers ontop and i'm just running a homemade storage box and recovery gear most of the time. I'd do 891 or 892s with an OME shock personally, i'll be upgrading eventually LC springs are an OK option, they are just really long springs.

OldSven

Explorer
Found a set of LC coils so I'm going to give them a shot first just because they are so cheap. Also ordered up my URD 7th kit with the o2 calibrator since mine is a federal emissions rig. I looked at pulleyboys.com and they have a pulley for half the price of URD so I'm going to probably snag that up to. Removed that DRL modual without having to take apart the dual batteries that was nice. Also removed the swaybars, I feel more comfortable with the body roll:smiley_drive:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Sonoran steel 1.2

Sven,

Welcome to the 4runner family, you are going to love your rig. Just a quick endorsement of the SS 1.2 lift. It is a great lift. I chose this lift because the kind of wheeling here in KS is quited different than that of CA...I got mine installed a couple of months ago, and the ride is definitely worth it! What I really liked about the kit was that it was all factory bolt on stuff optimized to your specific 4runner year. As you know, these vehicles had slight nuances from year to year, and Steve has build these kits to accomodate for that.

Yeah, you could piece things together yourself, however, I would recommend that you check out Sonoran Steel's webpage, and read the FAQ section before you make the initial committment to do this setup 'Ala carte'. Lots of owners have attempted to do it this way, and they are constantly having to mess with their set up. I prefer the 'do it right the first time' approach, and based upon the meticulous build of your Taco, I would say this is your motto as well...:coffee:

Initially, there was a rake to my rig that was quite pronounced. However, with the addition of my cabinet/drawer system, it is not as exaggerated as it used to be. The rear will eventually level out with time...

Here is a photo of my rig immediately after the install: the rake is not as pronounced as this now...

IMG_2444-1.jpg

Here is a photo of the CV angle:

cv.jpg

I am very happy with my choice to go with Sonoran Steel. Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

OldSven

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I might have a set of LC coils coming my way but I might just by rest of the kit from Steve. One thing I can't stand is a raked look but I know all of the weight is in the near future so that's why I went with the LC's. I am thow trying to keep this rig somewhat on the light side, at one point I had the Tacoma up to about 5k lbs and it was just a tank. Mileage drops, it's slower (but this go around I have the little whistle under the hood to help with that). Next week will be a busy week as most of my parts are showing up, and the bumper gets built.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I'm in the same boat but no where near as prepared as you.

I've got a 4th gen 4Runner that is also my DD. I do travel a good bit for work so I'm debating building my 4Runner or just getting something older like a 60 or 80 and building that as my fun truck.

I got 24 mpg on my last interstate road trip-that's hard to pass up.

OldSven

Explorer
The nice thing is that I have a daily driver, and the wife has her Honda so this will just sit in the carport like the Tacoma did. Except this go around this one is paid off so that will feel better when I break something:bike_rider:

The ICON's showed up today, scared me for a minute because the upper mount was different than the set on the Tacoma so I called them and they said that it was a new revision, same coilover.

tacollie

Glamper
I am going to enjoy watching this build. I have my taco for sale to get a 98 or 99 4runner. Seems to be a new trend.

OldSven

Explorer
Got the 1" body lift on today (what a pain in the butt!!!). Also got my deck and new CB installed. Most everything else is coming this week sometime but I won't see the URD stuff for a week or two.

DSC09774.jpg

DSC09775.jpg

DSC09780.jpg

DSC09781.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles