Old's Cool

devero4

Adventurer
thezentree - It's called a Dosko Campmate. I think they are from the 90's and getting a littler harder to find these days. Most people change rigs before they retire these Campmates. I found this one used 5 months ago or so. They can be found for around $150-$250 from what I have gathered.

devero4

Adventurer
Love that ‘85, I have the exact same Campmate kitchen. It’s bulky, but efficient. It’s funny every time I see those old rigs, the sheet metal looks thin and delicate. That’s almost the best body style, I’m torn between that and the first gen Toyota 4x4s, it’s how I feel about the 67-72 GMs and the next gen Square bodies. Keep it forever!
They are a big bang for the buck!

DJB1

I find a lot of useful information on Expedition Portal but also a lot of shite; plain old camping trips re-labeled "overland expeditions" in vehicles costing more than recreational property, gilded in overwrought aftermarket accessories made possible by credit card debt. This is the only thread that I have read every single page, since I'm a dirtbag who has no respect for any political, religious or fraternal organizations and I prefer to live below my means and disgust the Joneses rather than keep up with them.

Anyhow, here's my junk, a poverty spec. regular cab manual-everything Tacoma built with secondhand and almost-cool aftermarket crap to get me into scenic camping and hiking spots while simultaneously providing roughly 20 MPG and a reasonably weathertight place to sleep:
IMG_0512.JPG

Instagram's worst nightmare; hand-me-down Coleman sleeping bag and foam pad, the same pillow I use on my bed at home, a 15 year old Wal-Mart cooler with a broken water drain sealed with RTV, and a genuine Rubbermaid Roughneck dry container not purchased new but found at the Goodwill. Note the background friends struggling to set up a rooftop tent:
IMG_0437.JPG

I hope this gives me the proper credentials to join the dirtbag club.

PS: @Crenshaw, mine is also creatively named "Whitey."

Last edited:

alexfm

Explorer
This is such a wonderful thread, and truly inspiring. It goes to show that this is all about getting out there and exploring, not just the gadgets and gizmos.

I'll throw in a picture of my old dirtbag machine.
1995 Cherokee, manual everything. Still looks basically the same, with the addition of a harbor freight roof rack. Sitting at 275,000Mi, original drivetrain. :cool:

Bishop's']https://flic.kr/p/MzsejJ] Bishop's Cap[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152379384@N07/]Alexander Traver[/url], on Flickr

DJB1

Thank you kindly, @shabba, I love it too. It's like a fun little ATV, but with cold air conditioning and comfy sleeping quarters. It is in fact on 235/85r16's. I'm convinced there's no better size for 4 cylinder trucks. Those tires just glide over rough roads when they're aired down a bit and the ground clearance even with a mild 2" suspension lift is excellent. I'm also still getting close to stock fuel economy, despite the E rated tires and steel wheels.

shabba

Observer
Nice! I’m on 285s now and was thinking of going to 235s. A local member near me is selling 4.88s so might do that as well and bump up to 35s. Wish the 235s filled the wheel wells nicer on the 2nd gens. Decisions decisions. Anyways here a pic of my truck. It ain’t that old yet but one day it will be!

Attachments

• 7CFAF303-61AD-400E-8186-7EAFC622D92A.jpeg
    7CFAF303-61AD-400E-8186-7EAFC622D92A.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 112
  • D1CE6E5E-E2D7-4219-B000-7BFB7A188145.jpeg
    D1CE6E5E-E2D7-4219-B000-7BFB7A188145.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 119

DJB1

I love regular cabs! You could do 255s instead of 235s. My friend has 255s with 4:88s on his regular cab. He’s pretty happy with that setup, though he has to wring out his engine a little more than me on the highway.

O.B.A.K

@DJB1 home run on the wheel and tire combo on a great single cab. Stellar.

This is my barn-find 2nd gen 4runner with 175xxx on the clock, getting about 16 MPG mixed, on 32's.

Spacer lift and a rebuilt 3vz because the $1500 truck came with a couple g's worth OEM engine parts.

This thread is great, thanks to everyone who has posted so far.
c2Hc5kbkRFi1dWxx6kNqaw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles