Old's Cool

Crenshaw

Adventurer
x2 on the method that looks fantastic

I’ll get you guys a couple pictures tomorrow. I just ran a cable housing right next to the throttle cable and hooked it up to the throttle body- it took some really minor ‘fabrication’ to connect the cable properly but was very simple.

The old shimano thumb shifters have a switch for either friction or indexing so the lever has 7 indexed “clicks” which is pretty handy for the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I know this seems to be a mostly Toyota thread but I'll add my low buck do it all rig. sold my sequoia and picked up this low mile 99 tahoe , No rips or blemishes on the interior runs great and was already lifted and being a gm product everything is super cheap even with replacing the trans I'm into it less then 5k . sure it's not new but it doesn't have a car payment :) it's more of a dd and tow rig ( whenever I finish my jeep , also a low buck wheeler ) than a wheelin rig but it does get out exploring .

Dig the truck man. That thing have an LS? Bet it’s a monster off road (y) Also sold my sequoia for a runicon, then almost immediately realized that 25k for an 07 with 80,000 Miles was outrageous. So I went back to toyota. Always have liked old GM’s and Bronco 2’s.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Dig the truck man. That thing have an LS? Bet it’s a monster off road (y) Also sold my sequoia for a runicon, then almost immediately realized that 25k for an 07 with 80,000 Miles was outrageous. So I went back to toyota. Always have liked old GM’s and Bronco 2’s.

No ls it's just a vortec 5.7 , it does ok offroad being a half ton on 35s and my daily driver I don't push it much. Some day down the road it will get a SAS done but need to finish my jeep/toyota wheelin rig first and more importantly buy a house ,so car stuff is more or less on the back burner for now but thankfully on my Jeep I have most all the expensive stuff taken care of just a lot of Fab work left to do .

Nikkshepherd

Observer
No ls it's just a vortec 5.7 , it does ok offroad being a half ton on 35s and my daily driver I don't push it much. Some day down the road it will get a SAS done but need to finish my jeep/toyota wheelin rig first and more importantly buy a house ,so car stuff is more or less on the back burner for now but thankfully on my Jeep I have most all the expensive stuff taken care of just a lot of Fab work left to do .

Correct me if i'm wrong here.. Isn't the Vortec an LS with a steel block instead of aluminum? Either way, sweet truck. Post some pictures of the Jeepyota!

Smileyshaun

Observer
this is the hopeful outcome of my madhattery
received_10155174199792297.jpeg

essentially it's a SAS Toyota with 5.29s air locker and duel cases with a jeep on top . I'm about 70% done at this point but the build has slowed to a crawl due to life things .

Crenshaw

Adventurer
That is really frickin cool. What's left to complete it at this point?

Digging the Chebby too, those trucks are often looked past by us snobby Toyota folk but having worked on a bunch of them- they're stout. Typical front end IFS issues with big tires and lifts but that pretty much goes for anything. The tried and true Vortec is a great motor- reliable, dirt cheap readily available parts, decent power.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Here of some photos of my redneck cruise control setup. It's simply some shifter cable and housing running to a fresh hole I drilled in the extra throttle body lever. I attached a knarp for a bmx 990 U brake to stop the cable at the TB. The actual thumb shifter mounted on the truck shifter has a barrel adjuster on it for fine adjustment of the cable slack.

DSC_1269.jpg
DSC_1270.jpg

This shitebox truck is looking about as good as it can...
DSC_1267.jpg

One of the other issues I've been fighting ever since the engine swap in this thing years ago is the reverse lights. I'm still using the ECU from the auto trans equipped donor truck (no emissions here, CEL is unhooked since it's always throwing codes for the shift solenoids that don't exist), and the wiring just doesn't jive for some things, like the reverse lights- which, as it turns out are really helpful, even though I don't drive at night terribly often. (evenings are for happy hour!)

So even though the reverse switch on the trans is still functional, I said the hell with it and wired some el cheapo light pods to the tailgate through a relay and stuck a switch on the dash. They're pretty effective at curbing the actions of the occasional tailgater, and the local high school kids think they're pretty cool.

DSC_1271.jpg

thezentree

pretend redneck
I'm not meaning to drag this thread into the toilet bowl that is politics, but that Trump sticker is hilarious - and I say that as a Trump voter.

Smileyshaun

Observer
That is really frickin cool. What's left to complete it at this point?

Digging the Chebby too, those trucks are often looked past by us snobby Toyota folk but having worked on a bunch of them- they're stout. Typical front end IFS issues with big tires and lifts but that pretty much goes for anything. The tried and true Vortec is a great motor- reliable, dirt cheap readily available parts, decent power.

short list..
rework springs
drivelines
Rear fenders
finish the bed
relocate gas tank so I can drop the passenger floor area down to frame level
cleaning up the frame from the sas and doing some plating
and a few other things

FreeRideSLR

My ‘88

3378dea95393bb26902fdf5361f0003a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clutch

<---Pass
It just ticked over 368,000 miles.

Was out this past Monday scouting camping spots in the back country for a trip coming up

Just put a new steering rack in (well reman)....took it in to get aligned and there is play on the inner tierod...damn it! Ripping that back out next week and buying a brandy new one from Toyota. What is that saying about crying once and all??? :D

29792075_10156321767914630_6039267844919302776_n.jpg

29597354_10156321767809630_4512220861320614773_n.jpg

29694512_10156321767804630_6912085926665755574_n.jpg

montanayota

Crenshaw,

The dirtbag life is an awesome way to live. And these trucks fit the lifestyle perfectly. Mine is still a "virgin" as far as modifications go, but not for much longer..

IMG_3143.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles