Old's Cool

Davev1954

Supporting Grouch
The 22RE will run nearly forever, as long as you don't lug it and you change the timing chain and guides on schedule. One of the best engines ever designed by Toyota IMO.

But thats the V6, a good motor - but NOT the 22RE. I have about 250k miles on a V6 and it just gave up the ghost.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
But thats the V6, a good motor - but NOT the 22RE. I have about 250k miles on a V6 and it just gave up the ghost.

And more proof that the 3.0 isn't a bad motor

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

PHeller

Adventurer
Catching this thread couldn't have come at a better time. Thinking about picking up a 98 2.7 Tacoma from a coworker and was wondering if I'd have nearly as much fun in it as a larger Trooper/Montero/4Runner.

Seems like I'll do alright.

Wish Expo Forum had a "Budget Builds" sub-forum.

tditrip

I run an older pickup; 89 Sr5
6090a6d3f56aba6dffb09534b64b017d.jpg
b753b4bef8a96b28c0cc968dedc06c13.jpg
f1c7ed557050a69f50a0830b97b1503c.jpg

Elbee

Adventurer
Is that the original motor?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

It's the original motor, but I highly doubt it's the original head gasket ;)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
It's the original motor, but I highly doubt it's the original head gasket ;)

But that's a non issue. As the 1fz requires head gasket changes.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
But that's a non issue. As the 1fz requires head gasket changes.

And so does the 22re. While the old 3.slow definitely has its points to complain about, I've have reasonably good luck with them. My last 4runner had 260k when I sold it and is still running around town here. They aren't exactly toyota's finest achievement but they do just fine if you can tolerate the lack of speed and economy.

Elbee

Adventurer
They are considered one of toyota's worst engines, yet it's still not bad and leagues better than other motors from that era. Mine definitely was underpowered compared to a third gen 4Runner. Going up mountains full loaded in the 2nd gen was interesting at times, luckily it was a manual

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles